Guest viewing is limited

Ankle My (TAR) Ankle Replacement Story

Six weeks post-op completed: sometimes difficult, often tedious but done.

My consultant was very pleased at the check-up on Thursday and showed me on the before and after x-rays how the ankle is in much better alignment now. Stiffness at the front of the foot and bruise type sensations at the side are all normal. Fibula osteotomy site is still healing.
I can use Big Boot when I'm out and about if I need to but otherwise I can use trainers and slippers - it is now safe to move without the risk of twisting and breaking the bones! It is still difficult and uncomfortable, sometimes sore, to walk but I feel free without the boot. Next check-up is in 3 months.
Onwards to physiotherapy on Monday. :egypdance:
 
Nice update...you're making progress!
Best wishes for a pleasant weekend and a good physio session on Monday!
@Newhip_Pol
 
How did physio go? Well it went out - NHS phoned to say physiotherapist had called in sick. Given a replacement appointment at a different site in 10 days time.
Beyond upset to have progress interrupted so am trying a different route - physiotherapist at GP surgery: appointment Thursday 8th October.
Fingers crossed.
 
How frustrating! But glad you were able to find another option so you only need to wait a couple of days. Hope you like the physio; just remember that you are the boss (not him/her)! It's your ankle and your recovery.

Keep us posted.
 
Eight weeks since surgery and recovery exercises have finally started. Yay!
I discovered NHS physiotherapists at GP surgeries can only asses, diagnose and refer rather than treat so I had to wait until yesterday's appointment at the community health centre.
The physiotherapist was very thorough and reassured me that the slight delay was not detrimental and that in fact my recovery was further ahead than she expected.
She revised my expectations reminding me (as the GP physio had done) that, compared to hip replacement, recovery from ankle replacement is longer, more painful and more boring/frustrating.
Driving has to wait until I am fully weight bearing, which is still some way off.
We went through some massage and a series of exercises with and without 'therabands' and I will go back in a month. I have been sent a list of the exercises with pictures to print out and also links to videos. Little and often is the message.
Onwards and upwards!
 
Little and often is just the right approach. This all sounds good.
 
You’re doing so well Pol. I can attest to the tedium and the unexpected diversions along the way. I seem to have ‘hit’ a pothole on my recovery road so I hope yours goes a little more smoothly. Having had 2 # ankles in my life some 20 yrs apart, first left, then right, I have some understanding of the recovery.
Reading your thread it’s amazing that 8 weeks have passed. How it seems the time both flies and yet stands still at the same time on these orthopaedic journeys.
 
Great update, Newhip! I like your positivity. Have a lovely weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Newhip_Pol
 
End of week 9 and there are some improvements, possibly partly due to returning confidence.
I'm trying to do at least some of the exercises most days, esp.strengthening muscles in lower and upper limb and around the hip. Ankle movements little and often as suggested but, especially at the beginning of the week I found discomfort, pain and swelling increased, the day after focused exercise so I'm trying alternating exercise and rest days.
Walking around the house is getting easier, often without the crutch but less so later in the day. Had a long shower this morning and felt so good afterwards that I was halfway down the stairs before I realized I had forgotten the crutch :heehee: (we do have banisters / handrails both sides).
 
Nice update to see!!!
Yes when we start walking away from our walker, crutch, or cane it's a definite sign of improving balance and strength.
 
End of week 10 and I've been reading threads from folk recovering and recovered from ankle surgery - it seems that I should not be surprised that my ankle is still sore at times!

I am moving more freely around the house without a crutch and even find it easier to go up and downstairs without it, holding the handrails and bannister. I use one foot for each step, often leading with my left (operated) leg because that feels most natural. Progress :yay:

(Not venturing outside in the wind and rain, except briefly, and then I use two crutches.)

Best wishes to all on your healing journeys.
 
Hey Newhip_Pol,
Thanks for the updates. You're getting stronger and making steady progress. That's the goal. :wink:
Happy Sunday! I hope you have a wonderful week.
@Newhip_Pol
 
Greetings from chilly Scotland - need to be wary of ice today. Anyway, I am now at just over 12 weeks post-op and approaching the three month anniversary.

The physiotherapist seems pleased with my progress although to me it all feels very slow.
I have graduated to a walking cane outdoors and get around the house ok, occasionally touching furniture or walls for support or balance although it is still painful at times. Physio is working towards me standing on one leg - seems like pie in the sky just now! She reminded me how ankle surgery interferes with balance because of the loss of proprioception ( one GPS point missing from the network as she put it)

I have managed stand-up showers at home and at the pool. I started water-walking and a few swimming strokes two weeks ago, my daughter took me as Hubby was away visiting his brother who sadly has dementia and has been committed to a locked ward.

Planning to go for a swim again today. I have been cleared to drive and had one trial run but may let Hubby drive if it's icy.

Best wishes.
 
Physio is working towards me standing on one leg - seems like pie in the sky just now!
I remember that from my ankle recovery. It really did take months to regain proper balance. But, thanks to my very persistent therapist, I was eventually able to stand on one foot -- with my eye closed!

Sounds like you are doing well.
 
You're making progress, Newhip! :thumb:
Congrats on driving again. It's a satisfying milestone for sure. I hope you enjoy the pool today.
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
@Newhip_Pol
 
Four months after TAR and things are slowly improving. Had a physiotherapy review today and after examining my leg the physiotherapist declared that I don't need her anymore (although if I feel I need / want to go back I can call her before the end of January - after that I fall off the list!)
Apparently I am progressing well; beyond the stage she expects at this point. So keep doing the exercises and the swimming and although it will never be perfect the ankle will keep improving over the next 8 months or more.
I'm still using a walking cane and suspect I will be for quite some time, not just as security for me but as a signal to others that I'm not as mobile as I might be.
Swimming is still a lot more difficult than it was pre-op, largely through loss of muscle strength but it is slowly getting better. Managed a whole 25m length without stopping this week. Yay!
Merry Christmas everyone and all good wishes for a happy and healthy New Year.
Cheers!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom