Guest viewing is limited

Ankle My (TAR) Ankle Replacement Story

Glad you made it home safely. I'm sorry you have to deal with the pain. Thankfully it feels easier than the early hip pain you experienced. You're on your way to pain free, more freedom and a stronger you. It'll be good! :thumb:
@Newhip_Pol
 
Day 3 and pain well controlled at about 2-3/10.
Awake twice during the night for trips to the bathroom but that's normal for me. Looking forward to another lazy day with frequent naps as well as TV and books (and Bonesmart). The itch and crawling spider sensations are a bit of an issue :spider:
 
Day 4 and rather surprised to find I'm still so sleepy. Pain control is good with codeine 30mg and paracetamol 1000mg every 6 hours. Virtually no pain whilst resting and elevating but discomfort and some pain when moving about. Finding it easier to manage the crutches now. Going upstairs once at night and downstairs in the morning is hard work but doable with pain levels no more than 5/10. Still relying on hubby to prepare meals and help with personal care. He leaves flask and a sandwich when he goes out and I only go up or down stairs when he's about. He's a 'brick' :)
 
Day 5 and I made the mistake this morning of thinking I could cut out one dose of the codeine - seems not! Leg feels more swollen and uncomfortable today but the pain is now back under control. A headache is hovering around so I'm trying to drink more water as well as keeping up with the tablets.
 
Hello again - here we are at post-op day 9. Had a few rough days & nights with leg very uncomfortable even if not painful and also some gut trouble - possible IBS resurgence. Constipation followed by the opposite plus nausea and flatulence contributing to the down in the dumps post-op blues. I was almost sick early hours Thurs am. So I've stopped codeine and Laxido and reduced the dose of Omeprazole to 1x 10mg capsule to counteract the 75mg dispersible aspirin.

Had a brief visit from daughter, SIL & grandson yesterday which helped even if I wasn't good company.

Feeling much better today, guts calmer and last night I slept partially on my side with the leg on a small pillow instead of the giant pillow. Still frequent bathroom visits through the night but not so traumatic.

Plaster is beginning to feel a bit loose and irritating. Not sure where any actual wounds are although I feel occasional prickles that could be stitches but then there are tingles and zingers too! It's apparently a backslab plaster with gaps to allow for swelling, kept in place by a crepe bandage. I'm looking forward to Tuesday when it's due to come off and I can see what the leg looks like.
Best wishes to all.
 
Sorry to read this, but the first couple of weeks post orthopaedics are often a bit challenging. Day9/10 was my hardest, then with different drugs it improved.
I hope your tum is settling and you’ve had a more comfortable day and sleep tonight. My nights can still be variable, and I read a lot when that happens, or go to the Games room on here. :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks @Legseleven
Day 10 today and I don't feel too bad, spoke to GP this morning and she is going to adjust painkillers with Nefopam to supplement/replace codeine. Advised to avoid ibuprofen because of aspirin.
Tummy definitely feeling better. Sleep last night comfortable enough on my side with small pillow for leg but up every two hours to bathroom (not unknown for me).
BTW I have not been icing this time because there has been little or no soft tissue swelling and because there is some evidence to say fracture healing can be impaired/ slowed by ice reducing the blood flow so I'm not taking any chances. We'll see what happens when I start to move about more!
 
I was on Nefopam, and paracetamol, I only went on ibuprofen later on. Naproxen was added for breakthrough pain with Omprazole to protect the stomach. I was on baby aspirin for 14 days. Codeine made me so ill!
Glad your GP is helpful. Keep going.
 
Sounds like you're chugging right along! Tummy feeling better, getting some sleep, not feeling too bad. You're heading in the right direction. Forgot exactly who, but there was a member on the knee side not too long ago that didn't ice, per her OS's instruction, so you raise an interesting point. I hope this works well for you!
@Newhip_Pol
 
Well, that was more of an ordeal than I expected! Tuesday, day 11 was plaster off and stitches out.
All stitches out but it turns out the clips in the femoral wound weren't ready - very nippy, made me feel faint. Left in for another week, new dressings applied and walking boot fitted.

BTW does anyone have experience of partial weight bearing with walking boot and crutches. Boot has full rocker sole so feels much less stable than plaster, also more painful.

Nefopam finally arrived and definitely helps. Slept 11:30pm to 4:30am - better but still awake now at 6:00am. Hopefully will catch a few hours before breakfast.
[Bonesmart.org] My (TAR) Ankle Replacement Story
[Bonesmart.org] My (TAR) Ankle Replacement Story
 
Ooh Ouchie!
Sorry that whole ordeal made you feel faint. I hope you're resting comfortably now and you're able to nap in your cozy space. You're a trooper, Newankle_Pol :wink:
@Newhip_Pol
 
Wow that looks painful. I couldn’t put any weight on my foot for 8 weeks when I had my ankle surgery so no clue how you do partial wight bearing.
With my hip I had to do PWB for 4 weeks and I decided it was easier to just play it safe & not do too much. At my 6 weeks check up a small fracture was still present and in order to avoid more surgery the PWB was advised to see if fracture would heal on its own which thank goodness it did.
Wish you all the best during this recovery. I’m happy to say my ankle healed nicely & I ended up having some of the hardware removed about 6-7 months after the surgery to give better ROM.
 
Hi @myglasshalffull
Just been reading my hip progress thread and found the note below from you!

To start with movement felt better after ankle surgery than after hip but the continuing movement restriction is depressing. Getting in and out of chair is fine but I had thought the walking boot meant walking but it's just a different method of support. I can take it off when resting but it's complicated to put on - a problem if I need the toilet in a hurry!

Great to hear that your ankle healed well.
I've been told that in contrast to the original fracture surgery (?? 30+ years ago) the plate for the fibular osteotomy is low profile so I shouldn't be able to feel it. Moving on crutches with the boot is hard work but getting easier with practice. Stairs going down are difficult because the rocker sole encourages you to tip forward!! Pain currently well controlled with paracetamol and Nefopam.
Onwards and upwards.
Good luck with your ankle visit, if you can avoid surgery do so at all cost. My ankle recovery was worse than my hip. Not painful just depressing when you can't walk. At least with the hip you are up and walking with a walker.
Honestly anything that keeps me sidelined make me depressed! I wanna go-go-go!
Keep us posted!
 
Regarding the boot. I had bilateral bunion surgery back in 2015 and had one on each foot. They became part of me fairly quickly. I think it was a case of, no boot no walk and so I got on with it and I didn't mind them after the first 24 Hours. I wasn't up on them too much though, although I can remember me, my boots and a pair of crutches navigating the London underground during rush hour. Not recommending that but just to demonstrate they do their job. I think swelling can be an issue though. I used a lot of ice and if I was awake my legs were up mostly.

I went up and down stairs at home on my backside. Much easier.
 
Thanks @Deni444 I cannot imagine two of these boots or navigating the London Underground - well done you!
 
Back
Top Bottom