TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
@hopefaith - I'll take you up on the shedding challange - I can't see you minding @DogLoverx3 here is my fur ball...175lbs of hairball!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
    image002.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 156
OMG @TexasTee ! What a big mush ball! I love her!

@hopefaith , I planted my foot wrong yesterday and twisted it - still bothering me today, but what can I do?

@Nana moon 27 - wow - that is expensive for Nikes .... i guess you wouldn't want to hear that I got 2 pair of Nike water shoes (awesome tennies with little slats) at Costco for $22.99/each .... and they are SO comfy.

It's good to know that I won't have to wear trainers/tennies forever!

Okay, here's #3 - the most neurotic doggie ever - his name is TJ and as best as I can tell, he's a beagle, jack russell, doxie mix .....I call him my little old man because he always seemed worried about something..... this picture is entitled "Waiting for Carrot" .... hee hee
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
 
TJ is adorable too! And omg @texastea that dog is ginormous!! Love them all!
 
Oh, and @Jozilla - thank you - I am happier and getting better. I'm just thrilled that the Gaba is seemingly working and although I still can't do much, I know I can do more than I could last month!

I just went to see a weight loss doctor who judged the bejesus out of me for not being further along with my knee. Like I was some lazy sloth who wasn't trying. Uhm, I almost slapped her. She actually said 'you should be better by now'. Well no sh*t lady.... so annoying!
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 oh TJ is lovely but you're right he does have a worried expression on his little face. He is lovely. Al three are gorgeous little dogs in their own right!

As for the weight loss doctor........what an idiot! What did she say about yr weight? (Only if you want to talk about this). I'm still reeling in shock at my BMI being one notch under obese!

As for Nike, I told you they tax the heck out of them here. An average price for their latest design is around £99-£125 eng Shocking! Xxx worse still the parents of the teenage kids pay it! We do not have a choice over here x

Love Ann xxx
 
@DogLoverx3 I cannot believe that! That is so wrong! Your journey has been so difficult. Judgment doesn't do anything good for anyone. Just know she is not right. at all. People don't get this recovery. I am not sure why. I would like to know percentages (wouldn't know where to find such a thing) of people who are back to everyday normal activity soon after a TKR and those (of us) who it takes, what my OS's NP finally admitted to me yesterday on the phone, a year to recover from. ( I wanted to insert a word back there, but .....didn't) :censored:
sorry for the rant. I will go to my thread to rant about this.
~hopefaith
 
Sorry - I forgot to introduce her again, the picture is my 6 year old female long haired English mastiff Chloe. I do have a senior rescue who's pretty jaunty like your TJ @DogLoverx3 - his name is Peter (named after the apostle by my Catholic husband, he was trying to make sure he doesn't get smote down prematurely), he's an Australian shepard...we have 2 Dyson vacuums

@Nana moon 27 - that's shockingly expensive for Nikes! Is it the export tax, I wonder?
 
haha @hopefaith , feel free to rant away on here. I do it all the time. I don't know why surgeon's aren't more upfront about the reality of this recovery or even touch on the potential challenges. I honestly thought I'd be 'better' after about 3-4 weeks. Nothing was ever mentioned about the ones that aren't lucky enough to be back on the golf course after 6 weeks. I would rather prepare for the worst and then be happy with anything better than that than to plan for the lesser recovery and be disappointed every day. :-(

Ann, I'm happy to send you a pair of trainers if you want. I can get them at an outlet mall and mail them to you!

I don't mind talking about the weight thing. I lost 10 lbs directly after surgery and then managed to pack on that 10 back plus another 15! As I probably had 10lbs to lose before the surgery to begin with, I now have almost 30 lbs to lose. My metabolism died shortly after I turned 40 and since I can't do much gym work, I'm having a really hard time. It will be better for my knees, my outlook and my confidence to get back to where I should be so I opted to swallow my pride and go to a weight loss doctor. She preaches pretty much a paleo diet (way to go @TexasTee ) and thinks dairy is the root of all evil......
 
Hi @TexasTee Chloe is a lovely name. My brother in laws ex named a Rottweiler after his girlfriend that he ran off with! Lol xxx I can well imagine you'd need two Dysons with dogs like those. However, they're worth it x x x

As regards the Nikes, no it's no the export tax, it's the 20% luxury goods tax that gets added over here! Outrageous x x x

Love Nana moon27 xoxoxoxo
 
@DogLoverx3 careful with getting rid of all dairy. We need certain amounts for our bones when we get much older. Otherwise we end up with Osteoporosis. The worst case of this was my friends mom. They could hardly move her in her care home because her bones were so fragile due to the condition. Anything in excess is the devils own, especially Haribos! Lol x

Btw we have the same amount of weight to lose x

Love Ann x x x x
 
@DogLoverx3 why did she say dairy is so bad? My ex. talked of that diet too and said the same thing, but I don't understand why?
~h.f.
 
@hopefaith My thread is Recovering from # 1 and Getting Ready for #2 at: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/recovering-getting-ready-for-2.17075/page-13#post-608439
As for the massage - I would not recommend your normal day spa type person - they typically do not have the training in physiology and such that someone with more specialized training has; nor are they likely to do much other than the "standard" massage. The knee area is still tender and (k)needs to be treated carefully. They shouldn't be massaging the actual scar itself, but working the sides and back of the knee but without stretching the scar area or moving it around too much. Shiatsu or lymphatic massage tends to work on releasing fluids and moving them through the systems. And of course you likely get the rest of yourself worked on as well and after such limited movement, it feels sooooooo gooooood! :loveshwr:You deserve it!
 
@Doglover. When I was married ( which I'd like to forget the 20 yrs of my life) we had 3 dogs in a 1 be apr. It was big and they had a lot of grass to roam outside, he had a collie rescued from Colorado bc he felt bad he was in a cage that was too small, a collie mix, and I had a coonhound/ bloodhound that looked like a deer. They used to call me the crazy lady with the dogs. They were big, but the most mellow dogs in the world. Never walked on leash. If I walked they did if I stopped they stopped. The best days waking up in bed with the 3 of them butt to butt and happy as could be. Our next dog was a rescue my ex found in the Bronx, she was left alone in an apt and the ASPCA was taking her out in a noise. Well, he brought her home, she was a mess,dirty smelling but knew there was something there....she wouldn't let anyone grab her neck, and if he did she'd try and bite him. She was a cocker spaniel/ golden so beautiful and another mellow pup. Boy I miss them all so much.....so now since we can't have dogs where we live we just have kitty, who follows me everywhere I go, yes she even opens door when I'm in bathroom. Fun!! I stated to write how adorable your pups are but got a little off track.
Hope you get ur meds worked out. Maybe you could try and advil pm. I tried zzzzquil which helped somewhat. Good luck. Also alleve is an anti inflammatory
Good luck.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi everyone - I really haven't got time to be on here catching up and posting, but those dogs ........... all of them....... so lovely! As my daughter would say ' I want to snorgle them' which I suppose is a hug, snuggle and cuddle all in one.
I cannot believe Bean's breed @DogLoverx3 - my immediate neighbour has exactly the same, although Bean is 100 times more attractive. Her dog is called Abelard (after the famous French mediaeval castrated lover!)He is such a naughty dog and very wilful, she needs a harness and a lead to walk him, and many times he has her on the floor. Bad boy! He is so strong and sturdy, she has a mobile grooming parlour visit regularly who parks on her drive. If Abelard isn't enjoying it the whole van rocks!
How could any one BB your gorgeous pup? The other 2 are lovely as well, and Chloe is lovely @TexasTee but a teeny bit scary to me as I am quite wary of big dogs, however soppy they are.

Sorry you've turned your ankle Doglover - hope the ouch calms down soon.
I really must go
Talk tomorrow
XX
 
That's funny about your neighbour's PBGV @dogwheels . They're not a common breed here in the US. Before Bean, I'd only seen them in dog shows. The older couple that I cook for has 2 of them as well and, don't tell them, but my Bean is leaps and bounds cuter. His coat is much softer than that of a standard PBGV, so he may be mixed with something but he looks like the textbook picture of the breed.

@Nana moon 27 & @hopefaith , I could never give up dairy entirely. I love my cheese and my plain greek yogurt. I've heard interesting things about dairy being linked to migraines and such. I didn't really ask the stupid woman why no dairy as she had already insulted me at that point and as she's anti happy hour as well, I figured I wouldn't ever follow the diet to a 'T' anyway. I take multi vitamins and supplements as well too. She did say that if I do have dairy, that the full fat versions are 'better' as the milk fats are the 'only beneficial part' of it. Who knows. There seems to be a new diet/food trend each week.

Thanks for the links @NightQuilter ! Very helpful!

I'm glad you're still able to have a kitty @susanne . Thanks for the tips on the lack of sleep. I've GOT to get this figured out. Another night with only 2 hours of sleep! Granted, I got a late night text from my friend's son regarding a college campus tour to the university I went to 2 hours away that his friend bailed on last minute so he wanted to know if I would take him (sad that neither of his parents would) this morning. Of course I said yes because anything done to encourage kids to get excited about a college education, the better in my book. As the tour was to start at 8:30am, he was going to arrive at my house by 5:30 so we could drive there. He texted at 5:15 that he thought he had pink eye. Ick. Needless to say, we're going to reschedule. Pretty sure I'm overstepping my bounds by taking him, but I think it's pretty cruddy that neither his mom or dad will as I think it's exciting and I want him to have someone there with him to be excited with. Plus it's a great school.

Anyway, that makes 5 nights of less than 3 hours sleep. Boo. In addition, I've had to start back on my Celebrex as my knee has been uber tight and uncomfortable (not painful, just uncomfortable) since I twisted it a few days back. Gotta love this roller coaster ride! (insert sarcasm here) xoxoxoxo
 
Sorry about the lack of sleep but I think it's awesome for you to step up and take your friends son to the campus. I know you are already taking a zillion things but have you heard of Natural Calm? It's basically magnesium but it really seems to work - my insomniac husband finally started taking it and he said it's really helped.
 
Thanks for the tip @TexasTee . I'll look into it. I do take Magnesium before bed and have tried everything under the sun (melatonin, zquil, benadryl ....) and nothing works on me. Even Ambien that used to work on the rare occasion that I would take it, now doesn't do didley squat.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom