Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Nana moon 27 My PT has used a process he called "dry needling" a couple of times on me. They are acupuncture needles but he goes much deeper into the muscle to try to break up knots and for muscle stimulation. Those one definitely feels!
 
Hiya @Ellejay , @Nana moon 27 , @susanne , @Phil75070 , @TexasTee , @dogwheels , @Jozilla , @Chihuahuan , @hopefaith and all else who are nice enough to check in and encourage me. Interesting to hear all the acupuncture stories and pleased to hear that they work. I 'may' try it at some point. 'May' actually means 'as a last resort' though. ;-) I just can't wrap my head around willingly getting needles stuck in me. I know they're tiny, but I've had so many blood draws, shots, etc.... in the past few years that anything dealing with needles just gives me the willies.

I've had a pretty okay few days. While my knee is 'better', it's still a work in progress. Still swells, still feels heavy and full and still stiff when I get up from sitting for any length of time. I can look back 2 months, or even just one and see that I am making progress, it's just in tiny little increments.

I've stopped taking pain meds aside from Tylenol. I take my gabapentin at night before bed and in a week or so, I will start taking it in the morning as well. I am unsure as to whether the Celebrex is still doing anything for me. I go a few days without taking it and I don't seem to notice much of a difference. I don't think.....

I went to the pool again yesterday and got a bit carried away. As the thought of not making the olympic swimming team occurred to me, I decided to work on my kick as I don't think there's a 200 yard dog-paddle event in the works any time soon. I kicked around a bit on my own and then did some more while holding onto the side of the pool. I then had a brilliant idea to work on squats and see how far I could push my knee to bend. In hindsight, brilliant kinda means stupid. While I could bend my knee almost as much as I can my 'good' one, I could feel that it was a (literal) stretch. I did a few more anyway. I went to a baseball game with a friend last night and my knee paid me back for the my silliness in the pool. Oh well, live and learn.

Today has been some baking and working around the house. My friend came over to hang out and take my youngest pup for a walk as I still can't do long distances and my ex came over again to hang a few more window blinds and another sun shade. They both pretty much spent the day at the house and I took them both out to an early dinner as a thank you.

All in all, it's been a good weekend so far! Hopefully tomorrow will be equally as enjoyable! I hope everyone is well! xoxoxoxo

(oh, and Chris, I'm very glad that my 'sticky knee' could bring a bit of laughter to your daughter on an otherwise pretty sucky day) xoxox
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I do totally get why the acupuncture does not appeal. I was the same as you. Anyway, I have cut my morphine down to 50 mg now, I'm going to give it a couple of days and then reduce again. I feel ok and I'm sleeping better. No complaints about that. I'm not totally out of pain, I am uncomfortable but it is bearable.

I'm eating more healthily too and I think that it is helping. Today I went to a supermarket with my husband that sells my favourite pastries, Danish crowns. They have apricot jam and custard in them and I walked with my head facing the other way. My husband was gobsmacked!!! I was extremely pleased with myself x x x

I'm so glad your ex is helping you like this and your friend is supporting your dog walking. You seem to be seeing more people at this house than the last or am I mistaken?

As for the sticky knee as I told you, it brought back memories of my arm being humped by my bro in laws rescue dog! It loved me x the pics that dogwheels put up were hilarious! I haven't laughed like that in ages x x x

Lovely to hear from you

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
@DogLoverx3 sounds like things are slow but sure... Do you think the Gabapentin is helping? I am glad you have friends to help you with some things around your house. Is it growing on you? I am in a huge transitional place myself. I have a Lab. and there is no way I can walk him yet. I can barely get myself anywhere, leave alone a 65 lb. ready to conquer the....anything dog. But he is such a bud. Well, just stopping by to say hello.
x x
hopefaith
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 hope you are okay? Thinking about you. Love Nana moon 27 x yes I know it's 4.32 over here. Jinxed myself every time I think I'm getting better.... Never mind far worse things out there x x x
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 ! I hope you were able to get to sleep! Good luck tomorrow (now today for you) at the chest clinic again. I hope they are able to pare down all your medications and figure out your chest issues once and for all. Good for you for eating healthy! :-) I'm having quite the time getting rid of the 20 lbs I managed to put on since surgery. Boo.

Thank you for checking in @hopefaith ! I hope you've had a good day. I'm certain your lab understands about the no walks for a while and doesn't love you any less because of it! He just wants to be around you regardless of whether it's just laying around or a walk.

I sure hope the gabapentin is helping. I took a pill around 9pm here and my knee has that on fire/stinging thing going on right now, so maybe it will take a bit longer to kick in tonight? I did do a lot of walking today. Went and bought a couch which I totally can't afford, but I can finally lay somewhere and watch tv in the family room! I had a nice friend with a big truck offer to meet me at the store to pick it up. Little did he know he'd need to assemble the legs for me too. Heehee...

My ex is leaving for the summer on Thursday, so I'm trying to think up all the other things I could possibly ask him to do before his departure. ;-) He's been a total lifesaver since my surgery.

I had a good day today - signed the lease and got deposits from my new tenants - got a new couch - spoke on the phone a couple of times to a promising new guy (yes, I'm a geek, but also a hopeful/hopeless romantic at heart so have to keep trying) who seems to be the ever elusive 'unicorn' of the online dating world, so fingers crossed ;-)

I hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend! xoxoxox
 
@DogLoverx3 Sweet words about my Lab. I hope so! So, are you gradually increasing the Gabapentin? A lot of times that is the suggestion. I hope your day is lesspain. I cannot believe all the baking you did!!!
~~hopefaith
 
K, so I decided that today would be the day that I would start taking the Gabapentin twice a day. It made me sleepy the 1st night I took it, but I've actually had a horrible time trying to fall asleep since that 1st night. I was going to wait until a day when I had nothing to do should I suddenly feel the need to pass out, but opted to throw caution to the wind and take one this morning when I have clients to deliver too. Let's hope the effect is very different from Ambien, which makes me talk and write like I'm drunk and I never remember until the next morning when I inevitably pull up a random text message that I sent or a ridiculously embarrassing facebook post that I made. Eeek!

At least my knee isn't on fire right now....
 
@hopefaith , I can bake all day long and not be tempted. I have the opposite of a sweet tooth, so I always have brownies and oatmeal bars on hand for when friends drop by (and remember, that's how I 'pay' friends to help me). It's weird - I don't enjoy baking, but always do it when I'm bored. Everything freezes great, so when I get the urge, I just stock up!

How are you feeling today?
 
@DogLoverx3 I am jealous. If I baked like that I would eat like that. So, yea you that you can bake and have treats (homemade no less) to offer and know you won't eat the whole lot later. (which would be me.) A new sofa.....what colors? I love decorating and working with color.
~hopefaith
 
Don't be jealous @hopefaith, I eat plenty of other things that are bad for me. I'm more of a crunchy salty gal. Can't keep potato chips in the house or i'd plow through the entire bag in one sitting!

Got my new 'euro lounger' at Costco - keep trying to decide if it's black or a really dark chocolate brown - I keep holding black things up to it, but still can't tell. I'm thinking it's brown though. It has chrome legs, so it's pretty cool looking and goes well with my other things. I need to get some bright pillows to liven up the room though. Kinda thinking orange :yes:
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - your new couch sounds the absolute negative of those we have in our TV room. We have tan/orange leather sofas with black pillows and all the lamps and other accents are black. When we first got the sofas a few years ago, my darling daughter informed everybody that would listen, that they were the colour of ear wax ................ hmmmmm, she does have a point! :heehee: Dare I ask if you will buy your pillows or make them yourself?

Yes husband has a younger brother, but he's awful. You've heard the song 'He aint heavy he's my brother' - well he is heavy, VERY and regularly bores us all stupid. You really wouldn't want to go anywhere near. You know the sort - small of brain but thinks he's Einstein! He was the very much favoured son - but thankfully I got the normally shaped one who actually knows what he is talking about!

Sumo chicken was mega yummy and I feel exceedingly full ..... oops bang goes the calorie counting.

Take care and hope the new man turns out to be a good one.

XX
 
@Doglover. Since thus horrible virus, the only think I can keep down is something sweet....guess it's the old way of things. Not salt or toast or baked potato. Cookies feel great
This. might defeat the purpose if not eating. :(


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:yikes: I'm going to pass on your husband's brother @dogwheels . The only thing worse than a know it all, is a dumb one who doesn't know what they're rambling on about.

:rotfl: make pillows ..... you're FUNNY! Do people actually do that? I may go look for some fun fabric and then ask my friend's daughter (the one I take to painting classes) to make me some pillows. I gave her a sewing machine for her high school graduation and she's pretty darn good with it!

Here's my new couch. Not sure who is enjoying it more, me or Bean!
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
 
Just catching up on your thread @DogLoverx3, everything seems very positive at the moment, knee wise, pain wise and general life. I love the new sofa, obviously so does Bean. Keep practicing in the water, I do squats and kicks every day in the pool and it really helps. Sorry your ex is away for the summer, hope he gets all his chores done before he goes.
Good luck with the new drug regime, I really hope it all goes well for you from now on.
I might have a problem with wifi for the next few days (I might not) as we're moving to a different area, but I will try to keep in touch xxx
 
@DogLoverx3 - Is that pic the 'new euro lounger'? If so, it looks neither black nor brown in the photo, but very definitely dark blue! It looks very comfy whatever colour it is!

I was wondering how you were doing knee-wise, since you're another oldie like me (as in had our TKR last year in 2013, not as in age!!)? Mine is seriously not good after all this time - :sad: - I had hoped for better results.
 
Oooh @DogLoverx3 - I am liking that couch and liking Bean too! He is a good advert for how comfy it looks.

Basic envelope pillow covers are really easy, as long as you (or whoever you have bribed with cookies) can cut and sew a straight line. The added advantage is you don't have to set a zip in, and you can take them off really easily. I do love things that are easy and straightforward ...... why bust one putting a zip in when you don't need to??

I should arrange a tour of US - I could come and make all your drapes, pillows and stuff, buzz on to NY and give @susanne a hand with her furniture reviving, get @Jozilla started on some decoupage and then spend lots of money buying Sperry's with @TexasTee before returning home!

If my daughter remembers to take the measurements for her garden chair seats, I am going to make the pads for them soon. I have some great fabric with different sushi all over it which was a possible but we have decided on Hawaiian print as it will go with Harold and Esme the fluoro pink plastic vintage flamingos I bought for her garden. I have A LOT of fabric ...... I see it and sort of have to have it, especially vintage fabric. It is an obsession similar to the one I have for vintage magazines. Ooops ............... confession time!

Have a good day and talk later
XX
 
haha, I love it - sushi fabric @dogwheels? happy sewing! I'll be looking for my pillows in the mail. cookies and brownies will be sent in kind. YES, you should totally do a TKR tour of the states! Don't come here in the summer, you'll burst into flames!

@Judlepip , I'm sorry your knee is not good. Mine is seemingly finally (after 6 loooong months) on the upturn. I just wispered that for fear of jinxing myself. I still have lots of swelling and tightness in my knee and pain if I do too much, but it's manageable.

@Ellejay , have a great time on your continued tour of Europe! How wonderful for you and I'm so glad your knee is doing great!

Well shoot - a well known side effect of Gabapentin is that it makes you sleepy. Guess what it does to me? Keeps me WIDE awake. I've had trouble sleeping since I started taking it (aside from that 1st blissful night's rest) and the past 3 nights I haven't been able to fall asleep until close to 4am! I mean I am WIDE awake. As I usually have to get up by 6am, that's no good. Not sure what to do. It seems to be working for my knee, so if the choice is sleep or less pain, I'm going to have to choose less pain. Murphy's Law strikes again. Boo.

Well, must go feed a bunch of realtors this morning - hope everyone has a super day! xoxoxo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom