TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
@TexasTee If you can make it that long it sounds like it would certainly be worthwhile to do so. I was given a shot of cortisone in my other knee in the hopes that it would carry me through into at least October, but I really would like to wait until January to get that one done.

@DogLoverx3 Seems everyone is interested in what has been sticking to your knee, present company included!
 
:heehee: I haven't been using the fly paper creme all that much as I'm not sure it does anything other than act as a sticky pad. Let's see ... in the past week I've found bits of styro, paper, dog hair, lint & best of all ... a price sticker! Apparently I was on sale that day....

Enough about knees, yes? Who wants to hear about my date last night?! Too bad, I'm telling you anyway. After a week of many many e mails and phone calls back in forth as he was out of town, we finally met up last night. And he was awesome. And apparently thinks I'm kind of awesome as well. Crazy, right? I've internet dated, on and off, for years and this may have been the best 1st date ever. He's kind and sweet and smart and funny and darn good looking to boot. He was understanding about my knee and kept saying that my recovery is/has taken so long because I didn't have anyone to take care of me and then asked if he could apply for the job. How sweet is that?

Anywhoo, I was a good girl and was home early....... :happyfeet:
 
@DogLoverx3 oh yes, .... yes ......... YES!! So glad the date went OK and sounds full of promise. Sounds a very good prospect if he could see straightaway just how awesome you are. He is the one that has struck it lucky, not you.
Perhaps you should have used the sticky cream and got him to stick to your knee, then you could have taken him home with you straightaway!!

Hope that this continues and goes from strength to strength - he's right, you need someone with you, and in your corner. The pups are great, but this one sounds so much better ...

Really happy for you - best news this Sunday evening.

XXX
 
Woohoo!!:roseshwr: Hope that wasn't just his 1st date material and that there is tons more of that to come! You deserve it!
 
Hello @DogLoverx3, I don't want to I intrude but I just wanted to see how your recovery is coming? In reading your thread you've had a hard time? I too was thinking this knee thing would be a quick recovery and boy I was totally wrong. Are you walking without any assistance? I do hope you are doing better, take care.
 
Awwwww....that comment would melt anyone's heart. Sounds like this gentleman has some promise! Hope the good news continues!
 
Hi @zlady , no intrusion whatsoever! That's why I post and keep posting; so anyone can ask me anything that may help them along in their recovery! Yes, I've had a rough go of it. Some of it is my own doing as I wasn't able to follow the mantras as I should have at the beginning and some of it was just luck of the draw (or lack thereof). I do walk without assistance and have been for close to 2 months now. My gait is finally where it should be and I only find myself limping after a long day of being on my feet. I am more sure of my footing now and even attempt things I wouldn't have just a few weeks ago. My balance is improving as well. I have started a new medication for my nerve pain, Gabapentin, which seems to be helping. I do still have stubborn swelling mainly on the right side of my knee that only gets worse, but never better it seems. My knee still gets stiff and sore and every day it feels 'full' and heavy, but I'm better than I was last month, so I hope that next month I'll be able to say the same. It's a very long process and very easy to get discouraged and down on yourself. I certainly wasn't prepared for it to take over my entire life for close to 6 months, but at least I'm half way to the end point, right?

I hope that you are doing well. I see you are almost 4 months out, so I'm about a month and a half ahead of you. While it's hard to see/recognize the day to day improvements, I'm able to look back at the beginning and even a few weeks ago and see that I am making strides. I haven't done formal PT in almost 2 months and it's just my daily activities and walking that has helped. Oh, and I get in the pool a few times a week and move around.
 
@Nana moon 27 , @dogwheels , @hopefaith , @NightQuilter , @Ellejay and to @Jamie ; thanks for your good thoughts, wishes and excitement over my 'hot' date. :heehee: It was certainly nice to finally meet a good hearted man with apparent sincere intentions online. If I told you all just a fraction of the things I've encountered while online dating, you'd probably pass out. Or just laugh. Because it didn't happen to you. :wink: I am hoping that he is true to his word and that this actually comes to something, but as I am horribly guilty of overthinking just about everything, I need to follow the advice I give to all my friends. "You don't have to figure out forever today". Just enjoy. So I will see where this goes and hope for the best. It HAS been too long since I've had anyone to take care of me. Not sure I remember how to allow that to happen. :unsure: I'll keep you all posted! xoxoxo
 
I'm able to look back at the beginning and even a few weeks ago and see that I am making strides.

You were "down" for quite a while. Good to see your spirits rising!

[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
 
:loveshwr:Whoo hoo! A great first date is much better than a wonky knee!! Here's to many more great dates to come
 
Thank you for replying and I'm so glad you are doing better! I also meant to congratulate you on your date; very cool! I'm to the point of waiting for "that day" when walking is done without any forethought but I know it takes time! My head says I can walk & do things but then when I get up my knee tends to disagree. I do walk about the house without assistance but don't feel confident enough when I leave the house....so ready to lose the cane not only is it a vanity thing (silly) but my Dr. Wants me to lose it also. :yikes: Hoping you're not working too hard and hope your day is a wonderful one!
 
of course @zlady ! The patience part is the hardest part. I will tell you that although I was walking with aides for the past couple of months, I have walked exceptionally slow and my steps were always very measured. Everything felt like I was taking exaggerated robot steps. I can say that my walk is almost totally 'normal' now. My speed has increased and although I do know that I have robot parts and can feel them with each step, I guess I'm getting used to it. Thanks for your good wishes and I'm sending them right back to you. You'll get there, just like I will; it's just taking a heck of a lot longer than we hoped or thought. Keep up the great work! Oh, and as for the cane, I used to use crutches instead - for some reason, I didn't feel quite so old and debilitated using the crutches.... you'll get your confidence back in your walk. If I could, then anyone can!

Yes @Phil75070 ~ it took a loooooong time, but I am finally starting to feel more positive about things. No clue if it's the new guy, the walking better or what, but I'll take it! ;-) I'm sure everyone was getting tired of hearing my whine anyway....

Thanks @TexasTee , @hopefaith , @Nana moon 27 ! Fingers crossed. And HF, I know you know the ridiculousness that happens online. This poor guy is still going to have to wade through my cynicism that so many years of mind games and idiots has caused. :-x

I just got an e mail from him as he's been sick, so our date for today is postponed until tomorrow, and it pretty much lays it all out there. Quite refreshing/shocking/appreciated .....
 
There is a saying which I adore that maybe you could if you wanted apply to this lovely man..."tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life....." Hard as it is, try and leave all the past where it belongs...the past. I know it's very hard to do and it's easy for me to say. What I'm trying to say to you Ellen is please don't let the ghosts of the past ruin your present. This lovely guy is not responsible in any way for what has happened in your past. The others are not him. Please try to remember this. (You can tell me to shut up and mind it if you like!) He sounds such a great guy and you've waited so long for an opportunity like this to come along. He's clearly blown you away. You sound so happy about him. That's why I wanted to just say what I did to you. I hope you don't mind? Okay enough now Nana!

It's fantastic news about you beginning to walk more normally, that's just the greatest news x x x x

I hope that you've had a great day Ellen and I'll chat soon (if I haven't overstepped the mark with this!) x x x x :puppysmooze:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom