TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
Hello @DogLoverx3 - many congrats on your new home. I hope that it will be everything you want it to be and that all your dreams will come true there. With a bit of luck Richard will like his new abode and start behaving.
Not surprised that he is acting up - nothing takes it out of you like a house move so take extra care - especially no twisting movements!
Things must be looking up for me as I am off to the hairdressers this morning for highlights and a cut at long last - I was beginning to resemble a shaggy dog. Yes a good ROM the other day, but still taking it gently and slowly, slowly and gently ....... I find it hilarious how I have a different ache in a different place at each PT appointment - its always totally genuine as the physio finds huge knots and tension each time. I truly think now that the knee is beginning to (I'll whisper this quietly) do what it is supposed to do - every latent muscle that has been taking it easy for 30 years is being made to work, and they don't like it! Weird as this 2nd recovery has felt completely different from the first, but my physio says that all the things I am currently experiencing are totally normal and par for the course, so goodness knows what happened first time around. I am particularly pleased that my op knee is now looking like a knee again and is closely resembling his opposite number, instead of looking like a random lump of meat. But then again, I am resting and doing FA so it's hardly getting the chance to swell.
Well I hope that the next few days go really smoothly for you. Remember to accept all offers of help graciously, don't overdo and although you have a bionic knee do not stand when you can sit, do not sit etc etc etc
Take care
ChrisX
 
Congratulations on your new house, I hope the rest of the move goes well and that 'Richard' behaves himself as a housewarming gift to you. Sorry the pain behind the knee is still with you, and now a new and exciting one as well? You are being greedy with these knee pains. Let's hope the second opinion comes up with something helpful.
Thinking of you, xx Lyn
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - epic catch up! Glad to hear you are finally getting into your new place - moving is a PITA but so good when it's all done.

I had hoped to hear that "Richard" was behaving but sounds like you're doing the best you can - will be very interesting to see how the 2nd opinion goes.
 
Congratulations on the house, to bad the little old lady ended up being difficult. Not much to report, all is well , my little vacation went so fast and the weather was lousy till the day I left , than a heatwave. Never fails. Its hot here in northern cali as well. Hope you can squeeze in some rest somewhere. I guess the 15th will be a big day, everyone is hoping for good news, like a child birth. Did you ever go on date 3 ? Got to love the gossip ! Well do take care of yourself, stay hydrated, its soo hot. And bend that knee on a stair , if u have the time . Best wishes Iceman
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 how's it all going? I know you're going to be up to you armpits in work and moving etc. I just want to wish you. A very wonderful, bright, shiny new start and future in your new home, with lots of love, luck and good fortune thrown in for good measure x

I sincerely hope that all is going ok and that your pups are settling in well x :doggie::dogsniff::dogwalk:

Love Nana moon 27 xxxxx:puppysmooze:
 
Ditto from me wishing you a pain free new living environment with all those wagging tails


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
Hi All! It's 2:30am here and I haven't slept in 2 days. The move was horrid (to say the least) and my knee is just awful. I am swamped next week so need to get my new house in order ASAP so that I can function. Trouble is, that requires me to be up and walking all the time. I've had friends come over to help, but it's pretty impossible to have anyone help unpack as it's just a day of 'where do you want this' and it really doesn't save much time. My knee has been on fire for 2 days straight and I've been taking Tramadol and Oxy like they were chicklettes (remember those?) to no avail. I'm hoping that once I am able to get through next week, my knee will come back around, but it's not been this bad for months. I ice when I can, but that's not often. 2 more weeks and I'll be able to get my 2nd opinion. Trouble with that is that they require records from my original OS and although I've requested them 3 times now, I still don't have any. Quite annoying.

Anyway, enough of the knee stuff and onto the dates. ;-) I am going out with bachelor #2 for date #2 this evening and then with bachelor #1 for date #3 on Sunday. They have both been forewarned that I may be using my crutches (yes, it's that bad). I shouldn't be going on either date as I'm hugely overwhelmed, but what can you do? Wine is Paleo, right? ;-)

Hope all is well with everyone. Thank you all for the good wishes on my new house. Much appreciated! Hopefully I'll be able to check in on everyone soon! xoxoxxo
 
Oh @DogLoverx3 how I wished we all lived nearby so we could help you. You are amazingly strong. Anyone else would've buckled with what you have to cope with. Well at least your in. I'm just sorry it's all such a rush. Can't wait to hear about your dates. I don't care what that previous surgeon said, there has to be something wrong with your knee to still be like this. It is not normal and you know it, we know it. So good luck with the second opinion. Hopefully this one will be magic. X:puppysmooze: Please give the dogs a lovely big fuss off me please. I hope they're settling in ok x x x Love Nana moon 27 xx ps thanks for posting when you're so busy x
 
I also feel there is something wrong with that knee! I do have to say that I can not stand for over an hour but it is my other knee now. I do hope you love your new home though! Know you are swamped but check in and let us know how you are managing!
Xoxo
 
Hello @DogLoverx3 - thanks for keeping us in the loop. Oooo yes I remember Chicklets - expect I wasn't allowed them as my Mum said chewing gum and bubble gum was not nice. Huh! Guess what I had every night after school? And I can still blow a mean bubble.
Really sorry that your knee is so painful - especially when you have got the house you wanted and a queue of eligible men! Normally I would say 2 out of 3 wasn't bad, but in this case all I can do is sympathise.
Trouble is you are so busy you don't have any down time to let that knee calm down a bit. I expect your whole life at the moment is prioritising, just getting done what has to be done.
Well hang on in there - easy to say I know - not long and you will have some answers as to what is happening with that knee, and that will be the first step in getting back on track with 'all your ducks in a row' again.

You know we are all thinking of you. Gosh - if good wishes could heal, you would be mega terrific now.
Take care
XX
 
@DogLoverx3 - I totally sympathize with having to do it yourself when it comes to unpacking - there really isn't any shortcut or you'll never find anything and have to do it over, anyway. Be as good to your knee as you can.

Dates sound interesting! Good for you for keeping up with having a life while trying to tame the knee - that's probably the reason you did the surgery in the first place, right? to get your life back.

One thing I read in my Total knee replacement book recently made me think of you - they talk about the importance of breaking up the scar tissue - first on the top of the scar, then on the quad where they split it and around the knee cap - and that if you don't, you'll get that catching or clicking noise and swelling. Did your PT try to do that or have you? I'm certain you guys do all kinds of exercises you don't list here but just bringing it up in case it's something that got missed.

Hope your dates and unpacking go well!
 
Hi @TexasTee - just been catching up on all your posts.
Interesting what you say about massage to break the scar tissue. My OS is very keen on PTs getting that underway once everything is healing well - as he says it 'helps with the Cornish pasty effect'. (I hope our US friends understand - a Cornish pasty has a very distinctive crimped edge).
The PT for my first 6 weeks did not address this, but the one I have now has been attacking my scar ever since. It felt really bruised top and bottom, and hurt like anything when she ground her thumbs into those spots. But I have continued to do it each morning and the difference in appearance is amazing, I have large areas now where the scar hardly shows and the whole area is soft and mobile instead of being quite hard and 'tight'. There was also a visible pull of the skin across my upper thigh when I bent my knee and that is hardly visible now. The weird thing is that my leg is usually a little stiff first thing, but massaging the scar at the front helps at the back of the leg too. PT didn't find this strange at all - something about circulation, blood flow and movement of fluid.
The other thing she does every single time, but I don't do, is that she sorts of palpates the knee cap to check that it floats freely and as she puts it 'is good, free and mobile'.
When you come to have yours done - I would thoroughly recommend lots of specialist massage of this sort as it seems to help greatly with both movement and appearance.
Enjoy your weekend and hugs to Chloe.
X
 
@DogLoverx3. Great attitude....you just keep on going like the ever ready battery. Throw caution to the wind. Try and just do 1 room at a time. I know me when I moved after the big D I was all over the place couldn't stick to one room....great news on the dates. I'm so glad you have your priorities right, unpack,date,ice,unpack,ice, date#2. Etc..... Have a great date. Keep us posted


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
Hi @dogwheels - I do talk a lot, huh? :chuckmarch: No idea what the dancing chicken is for...looked for a bashful face and turned up with him!

At any rate - Yes! That's what it was saying in the book, first thumbs on the scar - they said as soon as the scab was off, then the quad at week 2-3 then by week 3ish to do the knee cap thing you describe. Between you guys and this book, if I'm surprised by anything that happens...I'll be surprised!
 
Much prefer a dancing chicken !!! Yup - you'll be incredibly well prepared and advised, but how many times have you read on here 'every knee is totally different' ?? I'm sure there will still be some surprises for you.
 
Hi Ellen, glad everything is moving forward. Yes you still have some issues but just think where those issues were back in december 16th. Your house is tinnie tiny but i bet you love it . just think how much easier it will be to take care of than the big ole one. anyway hope you and the doggies are all ok. bill
 
Just reading about your move makes me :yawn:. Glad you are getting closer to being moved in. Keep posted on how you are doing, and how your dates went .
Sorry to hear you are having such problems with your OS getting your records so you move forward with your second opinion. Something is not right, you should not be having all these problems 5 months later.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom