TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @DogLoverx3 - thanks, Chloe does seem to be feeling better - crossing my fingers that the trend continues! She seems to feel better but I can't find any evidence that her bowels are moving after the epic emptying the day after - on the other hand she ate very little until yesterday so I'm going to give her a bit more time, especially as our backyard is pretty large and it's entirely possible that I just am not seeing it. Gross - sorry for mucking up your thread!

Good luck tomorrow - I hope you get some answers that both make sense and allow you to FIX IT already!
 
Haha @TexasTee , you're more than welcome to much up my thread with talk of dog poop. :-) I do animal rescue, so know a little bit about a lot of things. If you're worried about Miss Chloe not doing her business, you should give her a bit of canned pumpkin (NOT the pie filling, but straight canned pumpkin). That stuff is a wonder fix for dogs. It gets things moving when they need to!

Thanks, yes, I hope I get some answers tomorrow or at the very least get him to write orders for an MRI for me. I can't imagine he wouldn't.

@dogwheels , you and your Physio are SO RIGHT! Once the robo-parts are in, the surgeon pretty much thinks thier job is done. He hears that I have stellar ROM and marks me as 'cured' and another of his success stories. I guess it's up to me and whatever doctor I land on next to actually get me functioning.... I'm going to ask my GP tomorrow to send me for an MRI, to write me an rx for Tramadol (since I've been having to take it more lately - boo), to write me an rx for PT (since my surgeon has declared me 'cured') so I can go somewhere not affiliated with the same practice to get a true evaluation and talk to him about some of my other concerns. Too bad he's going to make me get on the scale. :shocked:And yes, my friend, I would gladly trade some of my ROM with your ability to actually DO things. You will gain your ROM back, of that I am certain. I'm just sorry it's such a slow process.

Funny how sometimes romance seems to take on a 'business' aspect @susanne . I joke about the looking for someone who travels extensively, has one foot in the grave, has great insurance benefits, etc.... but it's all BS. I just want someone who loves me and who I love to spend time with and can tell all my secrets to! :whistle: Don't get me wrong, great insurance benefits would be great too! :heehee:
 
I had a very similar issue with my black lab a few weeks ago---I also have a very large back yard---over an acre---and, with an underground fence, sometimes one of the three will find something a little too "delectable."

Jackson normally wolfs his food down, but for a few days he would only stare at breakfast and dinner. Then, just when I was beginning to worry, back to normal.
 
Doglover, i just caught up with your thread. I had my LTKR on Dec 11, 2013. I have been up and down with progress, attitude, depression......it's been a long road. I had an MUA on March 21 and things got slightly better. I was at about 81 and now I'm at 95 (on a good day). My PT is over. My ins won't pay for anymore visits for this entire calendar year. I still have stiffness, swelling, pain and total frustration thinking I will never get better. I am trying hard not to worry about it and trying to trust that things will work out. In the middle of all this things got so difficult at work that I went ahead and retired. (Several things brought me to that decision) I can only hope things will get better. For you too!
 
@beth1954 I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling down. I'm about 2 weeks ahead of you (RTKR on 27th November 2013). It will all improve, but oh boy, it does take time! How great that you're now retired, at least you can give yourself some 'me' time! I find that things improve monthly - not weekly as I had originally expected, and certainly not daily. I've found that all of a sudden, I've taken a step forward (figuratively that is). Sorry you can't have the PT any more, but keep in with those dreadful exercises. I would have thought you had a case for further PT as you required an MUA so recently, but there's no knowing how these things work - or don't!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - just checking in to let you know that I am thinking of you, and really hope that your appointment with your GP today gives you some answers, some reassurance or something ............

Just thought I would mention that they may be hesitant to do an MRI scan. Because it is a Magnetic Resonance Image - the scanner has a huge magnet which can stress a new TKR joint, especially if it was not cemented in. However, this applies only to those less than 3 months out, so shouldn't apply to you. CT is fine.(Thought I would mention this so that you are aware if they start making excuses not to do it).
According to my magic encyclopaedia of all things knee-related (which btw only tells you what to do to recover and has nothing to say about any potential post TKR problems, like yours and mine:hairpulling: ......) once the replacement metal lump is in there it does tend to distort imaging. However, they are evidently fast developing software to counteract this.

Phew! I've exhausted myself by going all technical.
Hope all goes well, Ellen. Today is the first step on finding out what is happening in that knee of yours.
X
 
Good luck today! I hope you start getting some answers. I was wondering about MRIs so that info from Dogwheels was great. I need to have two done shortly on my cervical and lumbar spine as I have very bad osteoarthritis in my spine and I have not had new MRIs done in 3 years. I am looking forward to your update about your GP visit!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Hi @Jozilla - sorry you have to go in to work soon.
On the topic of MRI's, I just wanted to add that according to my book MRIs are OK on other body parts when you are in TKR recovery. It would appear that the magnet only affects the bit of body being scanned.
X
 
@DogLoverx3 - I do rescue, too! Well - I guess it's mostly did now, I was in mastiff rescue for years but there was a big political mess a while back and it made me crazy. I still help now and then with transport and home visits. I have used pumpkin for the opposite problem but not to encourage elimination...interesting!

I hadn't ever considered the MRI or any other impact on the new knee so I just did a quick search and for an interesting paper - if you have time, you might want to look before your appointment - interesting info.

Varient 4 seems to be where you are but it was too large to paste in here.

https://www.guideline.gov/content.aspx?id=32606

RE - what you want...isn't interesting how different it is from our 20s to now? When I started dating again I had zero idea of what I was looking for so I made a list...lol, if you knew me IRL, you'd know I'm all about the list! The things that made the top had NOTHING in common with what I would have looked for previously but are exactly what I needed. Someone who "gets" me - a year and a half later I still drive home and can hardly wait to dish about my day and hear about his. Funny side note - I was pretty gun shy to get married again (I don't fail at things well!) and one of the bullet points Bill used to make his case was that HIS insurance was even better than mine and covered a more experimental procedure than mine did not. Tricky man I married! BUT, I kept my old insurance so as to not mislead anyone reading...it wasn't the insurance that would sway me but the fact that he listened to me when I was talking about it, cared that I was being denied a potential helpful procedure AND took the time to look it up. I still didn't say yes for 6 more months but it was definitely in the "pro" colum.

Hi @referee54 - I had a black lab rescue for 10 years - that guy would eat anything, if he ever refused food I'd probably faint!
 
I had a black lab rescue for 10 years - that guy would eat anything, if he ever refused food I'd probably faint!
The dog pictured in my avatar was Parker---he passed away this past Labor Day---but he would eat anything---SOS Pads, sticks, rocks,---nothing seemed to phase him. (He actually loved bar soap!)

We drove from Ohio to Missouri to rescue him, and he was incredibly loyal.
 
I'm sorry to hear that you lost Parker but very happy for you both that you found him in the first place! Labs are simply to much - GO for me, walk a mastiff half a mile and she'll sleep the rest of the day...walk a lab 10 miles and he wants to fetch!

Since you said you didn't mind Ellen - I came back to report successful pooh! Looks like she caught up with herself and she eliminated twice since dark last night.

Guessing your either at or just finishing your appointment, hope for good news soon!
 
@DogLoverx3 Hoping that you had a "successful" doctor visit. It's been a busy grand-kids day for us so dog (an animal-shelter Chihuahua-mini daschund mix) and I are in the recliner after blowing my "eating-control" with a root beer float. The one-year old said "doggy" today --happy days! :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Ellen - i am waiting to hear how the ole visit to the GP went and what is going to happen. Hope you are well and hanging in there. bill
 
@TexasTee & @dogwheels , thank you SO much for your input on the MRI thing. That was an awesome article you found on all the 'ratings' of the different imaging issues Texas! I'm saving it.

Glad Chloe did her business. Yes, pumpkin works both ways, isn't that weird?

@referee54 - I'm sorry to hear about Parker - what a face! I'm glad you gave him a good home and I'm sure spoiled him for all his days!

@beth1954 & @Jozilla @fiftydollarbill , thanks so much for checking in!

Okay, so I saw my GP today and we talked. And you know what? I swear it's all about being listened to and feeling like you're being heard. No, he doesn't know a lot about TKRs, but he was concerned because I was concerned. The 1st thing he did when he came into the room and I told him why I was there was to come over and actually put his hand on my knee to feel if it was hot. My OS NEVER did that. My GP said he would do whatever I wanted for him to do - order x-rays, a CT scan (he also said MRIs were out as they metal parts sort of create starbursts on the images?). He said my knee was very swollen. He said the same as many others in that people heal differently, yada yada yada and encouraged me to give it another month. And guess what? I agreed! He didn't talk down to me or make me feel stupid. He sat there and discussed everything with me and made sure I was comfortable with everything. He encouraged me to contact him if I change my mind and want the x-ray or CT sooner. I talked to him about all of my meds - switching me to Celebrex, refilling my Tramadol and he refilled them both. After I promised that I only take Oxy on really bad days, he refilled that for me too! Strange that it was such a relief that I won't have to hoard my pain meds and be worried about actually taking them for fear that I won't have any on really bad days. I feel better when I take 2 Tylenol + 1 Tramadol twice a day, so that's what I'm going to do. I'm not going to worry that I'm still on pain meds. Everyone knows I would rather not be. Until the time comes that I don't need them anymore thought, I will take them when I need them. There's no need to be in pain when I can medicate it away.

He also wrote me an RX for PT so that I can go to a different facility not affiliated with my surgeon's practice and get a true assessment of where I am. On top of that, he offered to call my surgeon and talk to him! I thanked him for that, but figure it wouldn't do any good.

Anyway, I guess I really didn't get any answers today, but I feel much better that my doctor listened to me and didn't discount my concerns. I have my 2nd opinion appointment set up still for May 15th and, for now, have no intention of going back to my original surgeon. He has a great reputation, but I just don't like having my concerns brushed aside.

Blah, sorry for the babble. Odd that I feel better about 'things' just from being heard. Am I still worried about my knee and why I'm so far behind everyone else? Sure I am. Do I think I 'might' just be in the uber slow healers section of TKRs. Yes. Do I feel okay that I am not getting an x-ray or CT scan right now. I think so .....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @DogLoverx3 - thanks for the update, I was thinking of you yesterday.

I'm so glad that your GP was so kind and considerate with you. It may be that nothing earth shattering was discovered or decided but at least a doctor accepted that your concerns are genuine and had the grace and decency to listen and advise. The best part is that you have a medic fighting your corner now - he will now oversee what is happening and he is at hand to help you along with extra meds, further consultation etc etc ......

We have to accept that GPs are just that General Practitioners - they are generalists and not experts, however their old moniker of 'Family Doctor' is what I feel they should be like, and your one seems to be just that. Calming, helpful, your link to more specialist facilities and a mediator between you and the specialists/surgeons.

I am glad that you will be seen by different PT's. Like I said to NM27 on the same topic, you are not a recovering TKR patient anymore, so the usual stuff does not apply to you. You need very specialised therapy that will address the specific problems that you are facing. They all have different ways of working and you need to get something that works well for you.

As this seems to be the official 'Poopy' thread at the present, thanks to @TexasTee and Chloe - I thought I would just tell you about poor old Gilbert the rat. He is so old, my daughter frequently has to tempt him to eat as he cannot be bothered, and just as you were saying Ellen, pungent smelling things work best. Last night she gave him some Baby food - cottage pie flavour. She says he must have confused the smell of the food with his litter tray and promptly pooped in the food. Not normally such a problem, but as he has little use of his back legs, he sat in it and ended up with a rump and tail covered in cottage pie! She had to wash him down thoroughly, but he evidently still smells a wee bit 'meaty'.

Hope you have a good day today and are a bit more confident that the outcome you want may be slow, but you are doing all you can to get there.

Take care
X
 
Thanks @dogwheels , you've hit the nail on the head. Having a medical professional actually listen to me and be empathetic and offer to help solve what's going on instead of just brushing it off was something that I shouldn't be so excited about, but since my OS never did, it was nice to experience. I'm not sure why I opted out of the x-ray, but may ask him to order it next week. I think I panicked a little that it might actually show something wrong. Makes no sense, I realize, but that's just me. I'm trying to meter out my stress instead of heaping it on all at once. ;-)

That's a funny story about Gilbert pooping in his baby food (Ann get's the coffee shop thread, I get the one about bms). When I make dog treats I use baby food to flavor them. I wonder what it was about that particular flavor/scent that made Gilbert thing that is was a nice cushy poop receptacle.

How is your knee doing today? I read that you bent it up the other day when you sat up in bed without even realizing it! That's wonderful news!!
 
Glad your GP listened!! It really makes all the difference in the world - having someone tell me I'm essentially "fine" when my knee is the size of a watermelon is a bit off putting! However, when they are concerned and propose to do something about it I almost always choose to suck it up and see if some time will help.

@dogwheels - how funny about poor Gilbert...good thing I don't eat baby food, the idea of a food that inspires a rat to poo in it is more than a little gross! Perhaps he was expressing his displeasure with the flavor!
 
I'm so glad the appointment with your GP went so well. Like you said, even though you don't have answers you were listened to and will have some follow up.
 
Hello @DogLoverx3 - hope you are OK and not going mad overdoing things just because you were heartened by your session with your lovely GP yesterday. How long is it now until your house move?

If an X ray will put your mind at rest, even if it is a bit scary to have done - do it. Even if it shows up something that needs further attention, you will actually know and not be second guessing all the time. If it looks fine (as I am sure it will) then you know it is an issue with soft tissue or muscle, and can get expert help to deal with it accordingly. I think you are very like me in that if you have all the information you can deal with things ........ you just need to be brave and get the information, so you can get your head around it. Not knowing or being left in glorious oblivion is an awful thing, and just doesn't help!

I saw my daughter today and she says although Gilbert is still a little meaty smelling in the nether regions, he is OK. He is such an old boy he is basically on palliative care meds now and she is constantly on the lookout for signs that his quality of life is suffering, but so far so good. As soon as that happens she will do the decent thing - but she is making the most of him while she can. As @TexasTee was saying, I bet a lot of new Mums would have a fit if they knew what Gilbert's critique of that particular babyfood was!

Yes, good times with the knee at the moment, a bit cranky, but getting there. It is a slow old recovery this 2nd time round but mainly because everyone is scared sh*tless that the same thing will happen again, so PTs and I alike are wanting to take things slow and gentle. There is no recovery timescale because no one has any experience of anything similar.Truly weird as this 2nd recovery of flexion is completely different to the first time - it feels so completely different it is uncanny, and makes me wonder if the problem didn't 'just happen' but was festering there for some time. I now know that I had a significant bleed and a haematoma - and have recently found that having an 'oma' instantly makes people 100% more sorry for me!!! As I can now sit comfortably again, I am going to take my car out either Sunday or Monday - just a quick drive around the roads nearby to check that I will not be a hazard. Yay! Potential freedom looms.

Anyways - supper time here, so glass of wine in hand I am off to throw something together quickly in the kitchen.
Take care and enjoy your weekend.
X
 
@TexasTee & @dogwheels , thank you SO much for your input on the MRI thing. That was an awesome article you found on all the 'ratings' of the different imaging issues Texas! I'm saving it.

Glad Chloe did her business. Yes, pumpkin works both ways, isn't that weird?

@referee54 - I'm sorry to hear about Parker - what a face! I'm glad you gave him a good home and I'm sure spoiled him for all his days!

@beth1954 & @Jozilla @fiftydollarbill , thanks so much for checking in!

Okay, so I saw my GP today and we talked. And you know what? I swear it's all about being listened to and feeling like you're being heard. No, he doesn't know a lot about TKRs, but he was concerned because I was concerned. The 1st thing he did when he came into the room and I told him why I was there was to come over and actually put his hand on my knee to feel if it was hot. My OS NEVER did that. My GP said he would do whatever I wanted for him to do - order x-rays, a CT scan (he also said MRIs were out as they metal parts sort of create starbursts on the images?). He said my knee was very swollen. He said the same as many others in that people heal differently, yada yada yada and encouraged me to give it another month. And guess what? I agreed! He didn't talk down to me or make me feel stupid. He sat there and discussed everything with me and made sure I was comfortable with everything. He encouraged me to contact him if I change my mind and want the x-ray or CT sooner. I talked to him about all of my meds - switching me to Celebrex, refilling my Tramadol and he refilled them both. After I promised that I only take Oxy on really bad days, he refilled that for me too! Strange that it was such a relief that I won't have to hoard my pain meds and be worried about actually taking them for fear that I won't have any on really bad days. I feel better when I take 2 Tylenol + 1 Tramadol twice a day, so that's what I'm going to do. I'm not going to worry that I'm still on pain meds. Everyone knows I would rather not be. Until the time comes that I don't need them anymore thought, I will take them when I need them. There's no need to be in pain when I can medicate it away.

He also wrote me an RX for PT so that I can go to a different facility not affiliated with my surgeon's practice and get a true assessment of where I am. On top of that, he offered to call my surgeon and talk to him! I thanked him for that, but figure it wouldn't do any good.

Anyway, I guess I really didn't get any answers today, but I feel much better that my doctor listened to me and didn't discount my concerns. I have my 2nd opinion appointment set up still for May 15th and, for now, have no intention of going back to my original surgeon. He has a great reputation, but I just don't like having my concerns brushed aside.

Blah, sorry for the babble. Odd that I feel better about 'things' just from being heard. Am I still worried about my knee and why I'm so far behind everyone else? Sure I am. Do I think I 'might' just be in the uber slow healers section of TKRs. Yes. Do I feel okay that I am not getting an x-ray or CT scan right now. I think so .....

Hi Ellen, this is not babble at all but your feeling as to what is going on. I know you did the right thing and got listened to and that was very important. Also, sounds like he thinks your knee is swollen and that though no abnormal should be looked at. Maybe the new OS will sent you for proper films when he sees you. Also, good you got the proper pain meds to tide you over so you dont have to be concerned about that. Though i am not on meds i know exactly what you mean i always wanted to make sure that i did not run out so i had to hurry with Dr appt etc. etc. I know you are on the right track. hang in there my friend you will be well i am sure. bill
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom