TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, I'm reduced to writing this on my phone, so I won't write at length, but just had to include my pleasure at reading your good report on the GP appointment, you must have felt so good coming out of that office having been treated properly and listened to, I'm so pleased got you. Let's hope that you make great strides in your recovery from now on. @dogwheels - sitting in bed and bending without thinking - that is also good news, as you say, maybe your first recovery was never right, hopefully this one is. Poor Gilbert, the ignominy of pooing in his dinner, poor old man, obviously not a dinner he enjoyed.
We've spent the day in Canterbury with friends my tkr knee was fine, no swelling, no stiffness, but again the other one was horrid, so I took myself to the shop mobility centre and hired a scooter for the day. It meant that the 4 of us could explore all day & I wasn't holding them up(in fact they couldn't keep up with me). This evening we went on a brewery tour with a meal at the end of it, it was very enjoyable.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Sounds like everyone is off to a good start to the weekend except maybe Gilbert. I had written a post to you earlier dogloverx3 but it seems to have disappeared. Sounds like you had a great OS visit and he was responsive to what you were saying. I am glad you will be having a separate opinion though.

Ellejay I am also having issues with my unoperated knee and tentatively have a replacement scheduled for late August or September. It is so much more painful now that I have one done!

Everyone enjoy your weekend and Easter holiday if you celebrate!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Hi @TexasTee @fiftydollarbill @Ellejay @Jozilla @kneeper ! Thank you all so much for checking in with me! Okay, I thought it was 'kinda' odd, that the sheer fact that my PCP really listened and empathized with me, would make me feel so much better but even odder? I think it made my knee feel better! I know it's a total coincidence and probably due to the fact that I haven't had much work the past few days, but although my knee is still extremely 'tight' and gets sore towards the end of the day, it's not as painful as it's been! :happydance:I hope it continues!

I've been packing a lot as I move in less than 2 weeks and it seems that my 'stuff' is multiplying and not diminishing so I'm starting to panic (just a little). I've got some friends lined up to help with my 'pre-move' the day before the movers get here (my kitchen/catering stuff), so hopefully that will come to pass. The sheer fact of having to move after 10 years and into such a small house is a bit overwhelming, but will be good in the end (i hope).

@Ellejay , I am SO SORRY that your 'good' knee is being so bad. :elevate: Just when your TKR knee is doing so terrific, you're hit with this. I'm sorry the injections didn't work better. I have noticed my left knee getting worse in the past couple of weeks and I'm more than a little worried. I have NO intention of ever going through a TKR again. It was just too tough on me. Hopefully your left TKR will be just as great and quickly healed as your right.

From the sounds of it, you'll be in good company with @Jozilla and @TexasTee .

@dogwheels , how is my favorite mermaid doing? I know it's slow going this time around, but hopefully that just means that it is permanent. Odd that 'this' recovery is so different from your 1st one, but maybe it's like dating - they say the relationships that take a while to get going end up being the strongest! ;-)

As for my lack of 'pain', I'm taking 1000mg Tylenol + 50mg Tramadol 2 or 3 times a day. I feel like an idiot if that's all it would have taken last month (or all the months prior) so I wouldn't have had such a hard time. The swelling and pinching is still around, but I'm happy that I've got the pain part under control.

So I asked my GP to switch me to Celebrex. Uhm, how on earth do people afford it?!?!?! I went to pick up my rx yesterday and it was $420!!! Apparently BCBS requires 'pre-certification' or something like that in order for them to kick in towards the cost. My doctor also gave me a coupon/card that says the rx won't cost more than $15 when used in conjunction with the insurance, so hopefully they are able to get that all straightened out. I am curious to know if Celebrex will help me with the swelling more than Diclofenac will but looks like I'll have to wait until next week to find out.

Well, as you can tell, I'm procrastinating on packing. I call it 'pacing myself'. I need to get back to it though. I hope that everyone has a great holiday weekend! I'm off to another painting class tonight with my friend's daughter and then tomorrow I have a lunch date. :shocked:I've informed him of the fact that I move at the speed of molasses with a pretty strange gait, but he still wanted to take me out. Go figure. :bolt:

xoxoxox
 
Hello @DogLoverx3 - glad things have improved a bit on the knee front. The cost of those meds nearly made me drop my laptop. Eeek! Hope you can recover that, the cost is scary.

As for my knee being likened to a 'slow burn relationship' - and this long recovery being more solid in the long run ....... hmmm.. nice idea. Fickle I may be, but I am getting a tad bored with bendy exercises and think a 'Wham Bam Thank you Ma'am' may have lacked longevity, but would have kept my interest and been a whole lot more fun!

Good luck with the date tomorrow. My daughter met someone online who was really good looking, clever and with a great job. When she turned up for the date the poor man had one leg at least 3 times bigger than the other (it was congenital). They kind of dated for a while and it didn't concern my daughter as he was good company, but people made some very unkind comments. My daughter ended it though because he wouldn't acknowledge his 'different' leg. It really was the 'elephant in the room'. She is quite matter of fact, and told him it wasn't that he had this big leg that made her dump him - it was his attitude. He wouldn't talk about it or acknowledge that some things were awkward for him and he tried to pretend it wasn't there, when it most obviously was. So compared to that poor guy's leg - your knee is fantastically wonderful!
You have been upfront with your date - and that's all that matters. Hope he is really nice. He'll have a great time with you and at least he knows you can't run away :running:

Have fun and enjoy your weekend
X
 
Three cheers for not as painful! Do not discount the influence of both being validated and finally finding the right combo of meds - not being in pain effects so many other things that contribute to how bad the knee is going to behave.

Good to know about the celebrex - will make sure to get that pre-approved!

Packing wise - I was brutal when moving from my own 1950 foot house to moving in with my husband into HIS 1600 something sq foot house (his house is 30 minutes closer to my job so totally worth it) If I didn't love it - I donated it, I donated A LOT. Probably half of my clothes and shoes and I'm a girl that loves to shop. No regrets - only once have I even gone looking for something I gave away and that wasn't even for the dress itself, I had just bought a necklace that would look great with it...bought a new outfit, problem solved!

I missed the date comment - go you! Can't wait to hear all about it. If it's great - we're here to cheer you on, if it's horrid, boy - do I have stories to share!! My worst was just so awkward...he brought a power point presentation...to lunch...and made me watch it. It was all about how we were meant to be together...on the first date. The waitress was one I'd had several times before and with no order being placed...I all the sudden had a glass of wine in front of me. I still thank her when I see her. Did I mention that date lasted for 5 HOURS? Then there is my boss who's first date told her that his - parts - greatly resembled a redbull can. Ahh - dating...such a joy! I wish you the opposite of all of that!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh @Jozilla I so sympathise with you, I might be bringing my op forward from Jan to the autumn if I don't get any improvement soon, it's just so frustrating to get one knee right and then the other starts to play up.
@DogLoverx3 at that price Celebrex should work miracles, do let me know how you get on with them. I have a meds review appointment with my GP in a couple of weeks, so I might ask then if I can try them. Do enjoy your lunch date, tell us all about it when you can. Good luck with the packing. Xxx
 
@DogLoverx3 if you go on line to Celebrex.com you can download a savings card. It may be the same card your doctor gave you but it explains a lot about reimbursing when you have insurance. If your copayment is 75.00 or less they will reimburse you anything that is over $15.00. If your copayment is higher than $75 they will give you a percentage. And they will pay you up to $720 per year. I was on it for awhile and it works very well. Unfortunately I had to stop as I have GERD and it was really bothering my stomach. I always check manufacturer websites as most of them offer very good savings to use that particular drug instead of a less expensive generic version.

I hope you enjoy your date tomorrow and we will all be waiting to hear about it. Texastea what a great waitress you had on that power point date. I think I would have anew fed a bottle with a straw at that point!

@Ellejay I would love to have you as a surgery buddy! I do hope you can put it off longer though. I know mine should be done now but do not want to take the chance of recovering during the summer!

Everyone enjoy their night!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
@DogLoverx3 : Celebrex worked wonders for me --OS had me on it straight after surgery. It's hard on the stomach as @Jozilla stated. I took it with food in the morning or after dinner.
So glad you feel better.
 
@Ellejay , I just read about your 'other' knee :tantrum2:I'm SO sorry! This must be beyond frustrating for you. I sure hope you can get some relief soon.

@TexasTee , I do wonder if switching to my 'paleo-esque' diet has something to do with my knee feeling better. As that, and my appointment with my GP, fell in the same week, I will give both credit. (and hope that I don't jinx anything by announcing it to the universe) :eyebrows: As for getting rid of things in preparation for the big move, I've been pretty good about getting rid of a lot of things - either donating or taking to 2nd hand consignment stores. I know that logically, I need to get rid of 1/2 my stuff, but that's certainly not going to happen on the 1st go around....

@dogwheels , your poor daughter's date sounds like a lot of mine. I've online dated, on and off, for years and (if you promise not to tell), I actually write a dating blog based on my experiences. Although it provides much entertainment for others, it's a sad testament to just how horrifying online dating can be. :beg:

Thanks @Jozilla ~ that's what I have for Celebrex, but apparently my GP needs to get it pre-approved or something like that with BCBS before it will provide benefits. Annoying if you ask me, but whatever....

@Chihuahuan , as i've taken either Naproxen and Diclofenac for years and not had any stomach issues, I'm hopeful the same will hold true for Celebrex.

My date went pretty well yesterday - very nice man - had a nice lunch and had lots to talk about. I'm a BIG proponent on chemistry though, and I'm just not sure on that front. We're going to dinner tomorrow evening, so I guess we'll see :chinstroke:

Hope everyone is doing well! xoxoxxo
 
RE the paleo influence - it easily could - it's amazing just how inflammatory food can be! Wheat/Gluten were the biggest issue for me...sadly some of my favorite foods are bready but what are you gonna do? Much better to be as pain free as possible! Glad the diet switch is going well.

Chemistry is tricky - the ummmm sparkiest relationship of my adult life was with a guy I'd swear even 4 dates in that I had zero chemistry with but we had such a nice time I kept going. Date number 5 was altogether a different story ;) Then he took a VP role in San Jose and broke my lusty heart. Ah well - certainly was a fun summer!

Glad your knee is still on the cautiously optimistic side!
 
Hi @TexasTee @fiftydollarbill @Ellejay @Jozilla @kneeper ! Thank you all so much for checking in with me! Okay, I thought it was 'kinda' odd, that the sheer fact that my PCP really listened and empathized with me, would make me feel so much better but even odder? I think it made my knee feel better! I know it's a total coincidence and probably due to the fact that I haven't had much work the past few days, but although my knee is still extremely 'tight' and gets sore towards the end of the day, it's not as painful as it's been! :happydance:I hope it continues!

I've been packing a lot as I move in less than 2 weeks and it seems that my 'stuff' is multiplying and not diminishing so I'm starting to panic (just a little). I've got some friends lined up to help with my 'pre-move' the day before the movers get here (my kitchen/catering stuff), so hopefully that will come to pass. The sheer fact of having to move after 10 years and into such a small house is a bit overwhelming, but will be good in the end (i hope).

@Ellejay , I am SO SORRY that your 'good' knee is being so bad. :elevate: Just when your TKR knee is doing so terrific, you're hit with this. I'm sorry the injections didn't work better. I have noticed my left knee getting worse in the past couple of weeks and I'm more than a little worried. I have NO intention of ever going through a TKR again. It was just too tough on me. Hopefully your left TKR will be just as great and quickly healed as your right.

From the sounds of it, you'll be in good company with @Jozilla and @TexasTee .

@dogwheels , how is my favorite mermaid doing? I know it's slow going this time around, but hopefully that just means that it is permanent. Odd that 'this' recovery is so different from your 1st one, but maybe it's like dating - they say the relationships that take a while to get going end up being the strongest! ;-)

As for my lack of 'pain', I'm taking 1000mg Tylenol + 50mg Tramadol 2 or 3 times a day. I feel like an idiot if that's all it would have taken last month (or all the months prior) so I wouldn't have had such a hard time. The swelling and pinching is still around, but I'm happy that I've got the pain part under control.

So I asked my GP to switch me to Celebrex. Uhm, how on earth do people afford it?!?!?! I went to pick up my rx yesterday and it was $420!!! Apparently BCBS requires 'pre-certification' or something like that in order for them to kick in towards the cost. My doctor also gave me a coupon/card that says the rx won't cost more than $15 when used in conjunction with the insurance, so hopefully they are able to get that all straightened out. I am curious to know if Celebrex will help me with the swelling more than Diclofenac will but looks like I'll have to wait until next week to find out.

Well, as you can tell, I'm procrastinating on packing. I call it 'pacing myself'. I need to get back to it though. I hope that everyone has a great holiday weekend! I'm off to another painting class tonight with my friend's daughter and then tomorrow I have a lunch date. :shocked:I've informed him of the fact that I move at the speed of molasses with a pretty strange gait, but he still wanted to take me out. Go figure. :bolt:

xoxoxox
Ellen, so happy to hear that seeing your GP made your knee feel better. The Human mind is an amazing device use it to your advantage. Be well and hope things continue to get better. billl
 
Hi folks, I'm reduced to writing this on my phone, so I won't write at length, but just had to include my pleasure at reading your good report on the GP appointment, you must have felt so good coming out of that office having been treated properly and listened to, I'm so pleased got you. Let's hope that you make great strides in your recovery from now on. @dogwheels - sitting in bed and bending without thinking - that is also good news, as you say, maybe your first recovery was never right, hopefully this one is. Poor Gilbert, the ignominy of pooing in his dinner, poor old man, obviously not a dinner he enjoyed.
We've spent the day in Canterbury with friends my tkr knee was fine, no swelling, no stiffness, but again the other one was horrid, so I took myself to the shop mobility centre and hired a scooter for the day. It meant that the 4 of us could explore all day & I wasn't holding them up(in fact they couldn't keep up with me). This evening we went on a brewery tour with a meal at the end of it, it was very enjoyable.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
Sounds like you had a fun day so happy for you. I understand the scooter when with family. thats a great idea till you are 100 percent. Be well keep up the good work. bill
 
I cannot speak for myself as I had very little swelling. A friend did and his PT recommended a lymphatic massage and after 2sessions he was thrilled with the results


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Ellen

Just checking in to see if all is going ok? How was the dinner date you mentioned in your earlier post?

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Sorry I found your dinner date answer I overlooked it! So I noticed you had a second date is there a third?......:tada:
 
Hi All! @TexasTee @Nana moon 27 @Pumpkln @Ellejay @dogwheels @Chihuahuan @Jozilla @fiftydollarbill @susanne and everyone else I've been neglecting. Finally have a second to poke my head above water and check in with everyone. I know there are some pesky knees acting up (Ellejay's 'good' one and Ann's TKR one), so I hope everyone is doing okay. ((hugs)) @dogwheels , I think I saw that your ROM was some terrific number so congrats on that! It will keep getting better too, I promise. That goes for you too @Ellejay as I know you'd like to get more bend, keep up with your bending exercises and your 'normal' activities and it will come.

After a ****-pot of last minute unnecessary nonsense from the seller, I finally closed escrow on my new house today. The 'sweet' little old lady I bought it from turned into a big ole you-know-what and ended up not being easy to work with at all. After waiting so long to get into the house, she put everything off until the last minute, so although the house is now technically mine, there are still repairs to be done by her contractors so I 'get' to coordinate all of that - oh joy. Annoying at best, but at least it's now my house. My teenie tiny house. ;-)

I started moving some things in today and have taken about 4 carloads of things. I have a couple of friends coming over later to help transport more stuff and then another couple of friends reporting for duty tomorrow before my movers come on Thursday. 'Richard', although he's been trying to behave, is not enjoying all this manual labor. I'm loading up on Tramadol & Tylenol 3 times a day and am sporting a knee brace in order to try to minimize the damage. I will ice tonight when I get home.

I've still got that painful pinching at the back of my knee when I go from straight to bend and I've now got a new and exciting pain on the inside back of my knee. Ugh. I stopped PT a couple of weeks ago, so have just being doing my thing ~ no formal exercises aside from riding my recumbent bike a few times a week and just going about my business. I don't seem to have 'lost' any bend, which I was worried about, so that's good!

I'm still waiting for my 2nd opinion appointment on the 15th, but until then, I guess I'm doing okay. I hope everyone is well and my apologies for not checking in or posting on everyone's threads - I've just been buried in moving and work logistics. Take care all!! xoxoxoxoxo
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 It's so lovely to hear from you my friend. I've missed you. I'm so glad now the house is yours and you've got help to move and everything. I'm sorry yr pesky knee is giving you grief you could do without that with everything that's going on right now. I sincerely hope that the second opinion meets with a favourable outcome for you. There is something clearly wrong there. The things you describe are never right. There has to be something this other person will find so good luck with that.

I have another chest infection. My GP is very concerned about this so I've been referred to the chest clinic at last. Just waiting for the appointment. This is the 5th since surgery. The first one occurred after my fall in hospital after the TKR! I'm on steroids and antibiotics again. I really will be a walking rattle at this rate!worse still I've gone up a full dress size and nothing fits. All that lovely weight loss after surgery has gone and the weight has returned with interest...yikes!

I'm longing to see what your pups think of the new place, talking of which have you seen the pics of @Karringtyn's beautiful pups posted on my thread oh they're so cute. They're adorable.

I bet that sweet old dear was a few choice names when she did that on you. I'd have been furious!

Looking forward to hearing from you. Love Nana moon 27 x x x x
 
So glad to read your post. Congratulations on your new house! I would like a condo at this point - I am getting more lazy than I already am! Please take it easy in the move though I know that is difficult! Post when you can we know you are super busy right now!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Glad your move is almost over, Whew!
Looking forward to hearing what your 2nd opinion has to say about you knee.
Thanks for the update.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom