Guest viewing is limited

THR My Big THR Recovery-Crickethip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Cricket, you know me too well! That's exactly where I was and enjoyed every minute of it. The weather was absolutely perfect!
I so hope you find relief with your injections tomorrow. I had one before my first neck surgery, but it didn't help me. That was back in 2006. I blame the boating life on the beginning of my necks issues. Used to wake up with horrendous headaches, in the middle of the night. Turns out they were caused by herniated disks. When I woke up from the first surgery, I had no pain in my neck and the headaches disappeared. The worst part of the surgery was the bone graft from my iliac crest to do the fusion. If it hadn't been for the bone graft, I dare say it was the easiest surgery I've ever had. The bone graft, unfortunately, was painful. Then in 2008, I started suffering with intense pain down my shoulder, arm and radiating into my chest wall. Went back and forth with that for a few months and finally had another MRI...another herniated disk crushing a nerve. So, in 2009, went back under the knife with another bone graft. Now I have a matching set of iliac crests! But, the bottom line is..I have full ROM in my neck, no more of those awful headaches and the surgery, itself, was a piece of cake (except for the bone grafts).
I can't imagine being involved in an accident like you described. It sounds like you had your own miracle back then. We all have something to be thankful for, don't we?
I hope you enjoyed your nap and are sitting in your recliner being "waited on". :)
 
@CricketHip, somehow it seems like pre op was quite some time ago when it actually wasn't. Just getting it done and stopping the anticipation worry is wonderful!

I hope you're having a great day. :flwrysmile:
 
Hello @CricketHip how are you? I don't seem to get alerts and had to go looking for you. I do hope you are feeling better and are happy with week 4 progress. Was today your visit to the OS? Thinking about you and hoping you are feeling better and your neck is doing better too. We must be on the same wavelength these days, I spent a few hours in the garden this morning. I had my haircut today, it was a fun diversion and I love getting it shampooed, she uses a minty shampoo around the hairline and gives me a massage, it was heavenly. All the best to you.
 
Having chills and a very sore thigh. But again, it was time for my pain meds and easy to rein back in.

I did the same thing either the second or third night. Pain meds took care of it.

I'd keep the fluids topped up as far as you can, even though feeling like you are ready to enter the national pee'ing championship, it will help flush everything through your system and hopefully help other things move as well.

I had a catheter until the second day and it took a couple more to convince my bladder to do its job. But hoo boy, when it started .. had to go every couple of hours.

I have a waterproof bandaid and can shower tomorrow if I am up to it. glue, no staples.

I'd still be careful .. my waterproof bandage turned out to not really be one. Wish I had glue only. Have 22 staples and these suckers pick odd times to make my thigh feel like it's on fire!

As with others on here, my knee seems to be very grumpy and sullen.

I noticed that too. Much be all the manipulating they had to do with the op leg.
 
Hi @kktoland Good to see your replies and sounds like you are off to a great start in your recovery. I will have to go look up your recovery thread. My waterproof bandaid did a wonderful job for me, in fact I needed a crowbar to get it open enough to tug it off at day 7! I had no staples and the incision looked puckered up and lumpy, as time passed I realized it was just the glue holding the skin together. Now at almost 5 weeks I am the proud owner of a shiny pink scar. still a little lumpy but doing pretty well. I massage it nightly and do some scar release therapy but only in moderation.

So, my 4 weeks update and Dr visit report- a few days late. As most who know me on here know, I try to be positive and upbeat. I haven't ever allowed myself to have a pity party about my earlier in life injuries and have gotten along really well, considering.
So I go into my surgeons office for my check up and get the news about my surgery. I have another copy of my most recent X-ray and I have that screw in the acetabulum area.. apparently my dysplasia gave me shallow hip sockets and it was a bit tough to maneuver the cup into my acetabulum without cresting through to the other side. But he was able to do it and the screw will help secure it til my bone heals into and around it. I actually saw the Physicians Assistant who is so helpful and thorough. My ROM is good and she was impressed by my walk and lack of limp and cane.
She wants me to start PT now and included my neck and spine in the rehab RX. She thinks addressing the full length of my torso will help me return to work and not have a set back and I appreciated her insight on that.
But, that's where I got a bit discouraged, she was kind of gloom and doom about the condition of my neck and my return to work.
That blindsided me a wee bit. It took me a couple days to wrap my head around it, but now I have and I am fine, especially since my dr who is treating my neck had optimistic things to say. And he knows the complete history about it.
Oh and the right hip is dysplastic, too. The Dr and PA think it has maybe 5-10 years but less than 2 years ago they told me 20 years on the left hip and look where that got me? hahaha
So, yeah, I got a little dose of reality on Tuesday.
Because of the hip socket I have some limits on bending over and doing any type of yoga stretches or pilates--
I wasn't thinking of any of that yet anyway. Oh and on lifting heavy things.. but I didn't get an actual weight limit to watch for, but she doesn't want me bending over and lifting things, so I won't.
So, it was a good check up and the best news was all about the left hip.. I just wish she hadn't tried to talk to me about my neck.
Oh, I do have a bit of a LLD and as others have said on this forum, it will be corrected when the other hip gets replaced.
But when I'm wearing good shoes I barely notice it and my lower back is doing wonderfully well.

I am walking like crazy. It feels so good and the surgeon heartily promotes it and that's been a good outlet for me. I am nowhere as advanced as @Plum Perfect is- I am walking a mile and then the rest is doing household chores and climbing stairs, which I can do normally and without holding onto the banister.
There is the occasional day where I overdo it and the next day I do penance and all is well. I am only icing 2-3 times a day.. still get swelling and the knee is still funky but overall for a little under 5 weeks I am so grateful to walk without that sharp crunchy pain!

My friends and neighbors have been so sweet and helpful. I was still getting food at 4 weeks post op! Then one evening I had hubby run up to our local eatery to get me some pumpkin muffins, the manager there asked about me and packaged up some extra muffins and told my husband to tell me they were a gift and that they were packaged with love. We eat there at least once a week and it was so nice of him to acknowledge us that way!

So, there you have it, I can't wait to rummage around and catch up on the lives of my BS buddies. :loveshwr:




 
@CricketHip, :loveshwr: I'm so happy to have your update now, I admit, I was a little worried when there was no :what: update after your appointment Wednesday. You are always so upbeat and there for everyone I'm glad to know you are doing well despite the PA and her neck comments. I'm thinking about you enjoying a pumpkin muffin while I'm trying to loose some weight that hasn't left after the surgery. I don't know how long it's supposed to take but it will be 4 weeks on Wednesday and I think that is long enough!!! I'm starting my PT next week so we can be PT buddies too. I am feeling so much better it is hard to believe but by 9:00 PM I turn into a pumpkin (any minute now) I realize I am much more cheerful now that I'm not in pain all the time.

Here's a good laugh. When I saw my OS before surgery I told him I almost didn't fill the prescription for tramadol because I had a big bottle for my dog, he got a shocked look and said NO. Well the other day I looked up the pill and it is a human product, they don't even make canine tramadol so my dog and I are sharing! The other thing I did today was fix two toilets that wouldn't stop running, I had the water turned off and didn't use them. I thought 'how hard can this be' looked it up on the internet, watched the video on youtube, went to the plumbing store and now they both work! I'd rather be out running with my dog but, hey, I learned something new!

Everyone have a great evening, or morning, and enjoy your weekend. Thinking about you all and wishing you good healing days ahead. Time for :ice: and :sleep: , by :flwrysmile:
 
hey @Plum Perfect I haven't lost that surgery weight either! I thought I had dropped down 5 or 6 but it's back with a vengeance! Crazy, huh? But I still enjoyed that muffin. :heehee:
nighty night! I enjoy a good 1-2 hour nap daily. I've never slept so much before!
 
To hear remarks re neck am I surprissed? Noooo but I'm glad she is treating young as a whole and she doesn't know your powers of getting on with it. Oh and you don't do pity in fact imnglad you have said ooooops. Even I know that some times we have to let the worry and hurt out. Take care lass

Legin THR Sep 14
 
We were wondering where you were. Wishing you a positive outcome with your neck issues. I forgot to ask OS about how much is ok to lift also. PT says don't go overboard, especially lifting up and down from ground level.

As you've said, go with the advice of the Doctor you are seeing for your neck regarding neck issue. I have arthritis in my spine and was first sent to a spine OS. He was a great doc, but said regarding my hips, neither looked that bad. I had years to go. When I saw hip surgeon 2 months later he said they were both horrible needed surgery immediately (not the surgeon I went with) My point is, stick with the knowledge of doc treating your particular issues. That is why they are specialized in that area.

You are so fortunate to have nice neighbors.

With the LLD , my surgeon showed on X-ray they are placed evenly, about a millimeter off. It's the pelvis, muscles, etc that have to heal and realign that give the feeling of difference.

Isn't it great to be able to walk??? I went to craft store yesterday and had to stand in the checkout line for about 15 minutes. I realized after about 5 minutes, nothing hurts from standing for the first time in years. What a great feeling.

Stay positive about your neck, keep walking and healing. Everything will be alright. I've gained 5 lbs also and already needed to lose another 50. I lost 25 before surgery and don't need any extra added back on. I gained 10 back after first surgery but lost it all before the second. Hoping it's going to come off this time plus more now that I can move.

Have a great weekend and keep walking!!!
 
Hi @CricketHip, good to hear from you, I was another who was wondering where you were the past couple days. Sounds like a good report on your left hip and I think it's a smart approach that they are including the neck & spine in the PT and hope that will bring some relief. When does PT start?

As for the right hip, when it comes time to have that one replaced, you know the drill, and there are many of us on BS doing both hips and paving the way. You had such a good recovery with the first that I am positive the second will be just as smooth. But one thing at a time.

I still get some swelling too, mostly in the foot, and it's going on 7 weeks. My PT told me sometimes the swelling can last for months. I don't ice as much as I should but I do elevate and don't really worry about it anymore.

For you and @Plum Perfect I had some post-op weight gain also but it was like a bloated water retention feeling. It hung around for probably 4 weeks or so before it went away and I felt normal again. I didn't do any dieting or anything to get rid of it because I knew it was just excess fluid my body was holding onto for some reason. But it's finally gone. So enjoy those muffins; you deserve the special treat and that was so kind of the bakery manager to send those home for you with your husband. That was a very sweet gesture and a testament to how well you are thought of, so enjoy! :SUNsmile:
 
@Doodles51 I love your observations after standing in line for 15 minutes.. it's that such a thrill?
It's all good, in my book. You are so right about your advice about siticking to the Dr's point of view that has the correct specialty. That's what bothered me the most. she was making some strong assumptions without even seeing my MRI... it took me a couple days to sort it all out in my mind.
@Hipster Girl it is so interesting about the increase in body weight. I still am in shock of going up 11 pounds in less than 2 full days. :yikes:

Im not too concerned just yet, in fact I will celebrate this lovely day with a Philly Cheese Steak Hoagie for lunch.. just because I can. :yes!:
 
@CricketHip, sending out hugs for the emotional sideswipe you took this week. I absolutely agree with Legin that the PA doesn't know our Cricket and her powers!
I personally think that a positive mental attitude trumps SO many other things. You have that in spades!
Looking at the 'big picture' is seldom a good thing. Taking bite sized chunks and dealing with each issue as it comes every day works better.
I have faith that in time, and with the help of your neck doctor, you'll be right as rain.
Please know you are in my prayers and I'll be directing some mighty positive vibes your way.
Enjoy your muffins and I hope the Philly Cheese Steak was glorious!
*HUGS* :)
 
@CricketHip I am still reading, loved the last big update; we've all come so far! I read my first month of posts again a little while ago and was amazed when I realised what I am doing now. I'm sure you'll do the same again very soon and smile at what annoys us today.

Have a great recovery day & remember, doing a Freddy Mercury impression whilst doing the housework counts as exercise as much as walking round the park, more so if you dance with the hoover :spin:
 
The other thing I did today was fix two toilets that wouldn't stop running, I had the water turned off and didn't use them. I thought 'how hard can this be' looked it up on the internet, watched the video on youtube, went to the plumbing store and now they both work! I'd rather be out running with my dog but, hey, I learned something new!

I love youtube for stuff like that. Was tired of paying $100-200 everytime a repairman came out to look at washer. Typed in the noise it was making on YouTube and learned how to replace water celanoid and hoses. Done! Happy dance. Now to recuperate so I can replace the ball bearings around the dryer drum lol!
 
@CricketHip Great update regarding your new hip.You have done so well in less than 5 weeks and you have a lot more improvement still to come.Sorry to hear about your neck but it sounds like you have a really good doctor who is treating you for this and I hope you keep on getting better and better.I haven't dared to go on the scales yet but I know when I do it won't be good news but I really don't think this is the time to worry about putting on a few pounds as there will be plenty of time to sort it once we get our activity levels back up.So in the meantime enjoy those muffins and steak sarnies and anything else you really fancy.I read that eating chocolate releases endorphins which helps with the pain relief and after all we can't even have a glass of wine at the moment.
 
Hi @CricketHip! I have been MIA for the last few days and have just caught up with your posts. I am happy to hear that your Dr is addressing your total body now. Hopefully, relief is close at hand. I haven't gotten on the scale in weeks...and don't care to...what I don't know, won't hurt me. I have been eating like a horse and can't get away from my cookies and milk nighttime snack. So I'm sure I've gained some weight, but don't really care right now. And, that Philly Steak sounds wonderful. They are definitely a favorite of mine!
I can't remember if I read it, in my post op booklet, or if my OS told me, but I do remember a 25lb limit on lifting until restrictions are lifted. Of course, I'm sure I've schlepped more than that in grocery bags, from the car and up the stairs to our condo. But, at least, I didn't lift...I just carried..so that probably didn't hurt anything.
I hope you are enjoying this Sunday morning and those muffins!
 
Hope your weekend was a good one with plenty of grand food.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom