Guest viewing is limited

THR My Big THR Recovery-Crickethip

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CricketHip I had problems with my password and just added the iPhone ap and am trying to learn that!

You sound great which gives me lots of confidence for mine next week. I actually enjoyed my pre-surgery visit yesterday - I had so many questions! I was able to see my X-Rays and the template for the prosthesis. Got all the details, my OS is very vested in the Anterior approach and was happy to tell me anything I wanted to know.

Keep on with the great recovery and sharing, so happy you are on the other side now.
 
Hi everyone!! waving at you all! @Plum Perfect- I loved hearing about your pre op visit.. My favorite part was after the surgery, they snapped an xry and when I got to my room, there was a copy of the X-ray, on my bulletin board, I look at it and just smile. To my untrained eyes it looks fabulous.
So, I am home, was able to do the PT and was given the clearance to go home by 10 am today. But, by the time everything was organized and the Rx's filled and so on, we were out to the car by 1:30.
To my surprise the car ride made me sick. was keeping my eyes closed but opened them when we pulled onto my street and didn't make it inside in time. Luckily we always have empty plastic grocery bags in the car! They are for our dog when we go to the park, but hey, it was perfect!
I have one weird thing, I keep getting severe chills. I have a slight fever but we have noticed that it happens when its time to take more medications. I shiver and shake so hard that my hip and stomach muscles go into spasms. My chattering teeth can be heard across the room.

So, I have soreness and it gives me some pain when I move the leg but overall this is not bad at all. I was walking with the PT person and thought to myself that now I see why people book their other hip around 6 weeks. if my other hip needs a THR I don't think I would be very nervous about it.
I just can't stay awake! My BP does dip down when I exert myself but only to 96/77 or close to that.
If I can stay awake I will nose around and see how my BS friends are doing. :roseshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot and mean cannot believe you're home already! My goodness gracious! I wonder what those chills are about? I've read a low grade fever isn't unusual. I'll see if I can research it for you.
 
There's no place like home! Fluff up all those pillows, put them all around you...relax and start healing!
 
@CricketHip Laughing at the dog bag image, you can bet I also always have bags around too. You sound wonderful and you are so on top of communication. I'm trying to learn the BS ap on my phone so I can respond quickly too.

Researching 'chills after surgery' it is common, some times they are caused by opiate drugs. You didn't say what drugs you are taking, could that be it? Keep track of any/all chills to reassure yourself when they're gone.

You are my hero now, so very happy you are doing so well with minimal pain. I'm enjoying all your posts but do get some sleep .
 
I cannot believe you're home already either! That is truly amazing! As far as the chills are concerned, it is quite normal and is usually caused by one or any combination of anesthesia, pain meds, low BP and the fluids you were getting while in surgery. It should ease up, but in the meantime, keep wrapped up with warm blankets, bathrobe or anything else that keeps you warm. Drink hot tea or coffee. Enjoy your new hip, my friend, and get plenty of rest.
 
Wow, home already- amazing! I hope the nest is nice and comfy.

Ref the chills, I concur with @Nana757, I had a short bout of that whilst in the hospital and was able to sleep it off inside a couple of days. Keep an eye on it naturally but it sounds normal, well as normal as anything we seem to go through.

I hope it's going well and you snuggle down into your nest and get pampered for a bit.

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
Than you all of you for your thoughts! I slept a couple hours this afternoon,, my cushions are terrific.. and I am using a wool blanket from Cozumel, brightly striped and festive.
Hey, my DR wanted me to try hard at pT and go home last night! No way! I wanted to be there long enough to see if the pain meds agreed with me and get nausea under control. Plus The Mr. isn't a good nurturer and I needed a lot of that last night. He wouldn't have gotten much sleep.
Back to the Dr, I think he wants to get his averages up , he likes to say that with his technique that you aren't that incapacitated.. seriously? You just hacked off the top of my femur.. hahaha I am staying put!
I learned this from this awesome website..
So hubby is at work now, he teaches till 9:30 and won't get home until after 10. The nurses aide is here and is a huge help. I can't be on the first floor (stairs and no bathroom down there) so she is a huge help, is making me soup right now..
I was taking Lyrica while in the hospital, got my first dose before the surgery. Then Norco (Hydrocodon), Celebrex, Tramadol every 6 hours. I talked to them immediately after surgery and had the medicines by a schedule.
Now that I am home they took my tramadol away and the Lyrica. So far so good. but I have several Tramadols left from the pre op prescription so if I need it I will gulp it down.
Tomorrow is the 3rd day which can be a tough day, clear into the 5th day, or it has been in the past with surgeries.. maybe I can break that pattern!
 
Glad you are home and getting used to things. The shock to your body, blood loss, and of course the meds, can cause all sorts of fun problems. Low blood pressure, fatigue, chills, fever, nausea. Make sure to eat enough protein and iron. I was ravenous that first week especially! I went home on day 2 too and if they had tried to send me home same day I would have said NO WAY!
You are doing great and I look forward to sharing your recovery. Be good and keep the elevation and ice going.
 
@pamac I was so proud of myself, I tend to want to be a pleaser and don't like to disappoint people. But the site gave me the courage to say no way! Plus my BP was low. seriously? and to climb stairs...
I actually would have loved to stay til tomorrow morning even though I didn't really need to. I feel super..
They were so warm and caring.. it was like having 6 mom's helping me.
got the protein thing working well. I only want soup but its home made with big chunks of chicken.
I do wonder when the euphoria will pass and I turn into Debby Downer. ha!
I have a waterproof bandaid and can shower tomorrow if I am up to it. glue, no staples.
 
haha, really @Cynthia777 ? Thank you! I don't think I have much LLD either.. unless it manifests later on in the healing?
 
So glad you are home and have someone there to be with you. Sorry you got sick. I had over an hour ride home and was hoping that would not happen. I was ok. I was cold and hot on and off for the first week or so. I think the ice made it worse lol! I went home the next afternoon also. Do you not have many restrictions with the anterior? Hopefully by tomorrow you may not need anything more than Tylenol. I hate narcotics and do not look forward to that part of surgery. I hope you get comfy and can get some sleep.
 
@CricketHip, you continue to be a rock star, friend! Good for you! I'm glad you have the nurse's aide to help you along. I can't speak for the chills, etc post major surgery, but I do know that when I had three molars removed this summer I went through a bout of low grade fever and chills so severe I thought I'd never get warm again. Luckily, it was short lived. Surgery is a major affront to our systems. You can just imagine our poor bodies working hard to regulate everything and get 'even keel' again.
I know you'll do great going forward. We're here to listen whenever you need us. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @CricketHip it sounds like you're doing great and I'm so happy for you! As for the chills, I got them too. In recovery and then again in the hospital so I'd say it was the first 3 days. Also, I still get really cold from time to time where I have to put socks, my robe, and two blankets on top to get warm. I agree with DeepBreath and she worded it perfectly. I think it's normal and part of our bodies reaction to the trauma we've endured. I hope they pass quickly for you. Today I had to take my ice pack off because I had all of that on and still was chilled. Take care and wishing you a smooth recovery :flwrysmile:
 
I am so glad that you got the glue and the waterproof bandage. I was able to shower (well the first one wasn't that terrific..just trying to get through it..haha), the first day home. The PA had told me I was lucky they were using the aquacell bandage...yes, I was! They took it off at my two week... The glue gradually comes off as everything heals. It is amazing!
I was nervous because my neighbor had the staples...didn't want that for you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom