Guest viewing is limited

THR My Big THR Recovery-Crickethip

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CricketHip
Super fantastic!!!:chillpill:
Just tried looking for u on post op side tonight! Praise God. Prayed forvyou yesterday.......Sounds amazing.....Well, you are dojng amazing. Yes, psin meds are tricky. However, u seem to be in front of curve a little. Rest, relax and enjoy some good iron rich smoothies. LOL. Super awesome stuff. Lke honey on popeyes biscuits. AWESOME. Keep lifting u up and others this week. :sleeep:
 
@CricketHip you are amazing! Glad things are going well for you and you are out already, I don't know if it different in England but I've been given the impression you stay in hospital for about 7 days! Re the Tramadol, I have read terrible terrible things about this drug, please try to avoid taking it if you can
X


Becki
 
@Widge422 Hi Widge422, I'm curious what you have heard since I've been taking it for a few years now with no problems or side effects and I'd like to look into this to ensure they aren't dangerous for me. I've been on various medications for my hip pain for about 10 years such as naproxen, motrin, mobic/meloxicam, celebrex but when they weren't helping the pain and over-the counter meds weren't enough and I didn't want a narcotic, my doctor recommended Tramadol. She said it was a milder pain reducer than say oxycodone, percocet or that category since it's not a narcotic and the way I understood it is that it was stronger than OTC tylenol, but not as strong as a narcotic. It works great for me. I've heard of certain people getting certain side effects and not being able to take it, but I know that can be the case for any drug. I think I'll do some "googling".
 
@Doodles51 Im sorry, I forgot to answer your question about restrictions! I have none. They said that the swelling and discomfort would give me all of the restrictions that I would need.
today is day 3 and I am sore! As with others on here, my knee seems to be very grumpy and sullen.
But I slept better last night, In my magic reclining chair. :)
@topgun thanks for the well wishes and encouragement! And the prayers, thank you! I can't wait until you get to experience this..
I looked up tramadol and long term effects and it appears to be a bit addicting, is that what you were referring to @Widge422 ? Thanks for the advice and I will be careful with that one.
 
I hope your pain goes away. You are so lucky to be able to use a recliner. Glad you got some sleep. I've read bad things about tramadol also. A lot about it giving you a headache, which I don't understand if it has Tylenol in it. They gave it to my 84 year old mother last year after her hip replacement and it seemed to work well for her. The other stuff made her a little crazy. Hope you have a relaxing day. My knee felt strange also, mostly from swelling I think.
 
@PegGene, yes it's highly addictive and is definitely an opiate, not sure if that's in the narcotic department too!? I had terrible side effects the other night from them and got 'googling' and found this thread:

https://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/3185/tips-on-how-to-stop-using-tramadol

They are talking about withdrawal effects but mine were exactly the same after being told to take 8 50mg AND 8 Paracetamol a day! I slept for one hour that night and had all the effects they are talking about! Please be careful
X


Becki
 
Strange how it affects each of us so differently, I've been on that dosage since about 1 month before my op and I'm starting to cut it down now & so far I've had no issues.

I'd definitely recommend talking to your Dr or OS before anyone adjusts their pain relief, most are pretty good in sorting alternatives if you have a problem and the impact of not being appropriately medicated on the pain relief side can have a negative impact on your recovery.

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
@CricketHip Good to hear from you this morning. Glad you were able to sleep and that Day 3 is not too bad. Don't be concerned about pain relievers, you need them for a smooth recovery. I looked up Tramadol and it sounds like a wonder drug if you don't have side effects that bother you, ALL pain relievers are potentially addictive and have some potential side effects but we still need them:

Best Answer: It is a synthetic analog of codeine and commonly referred to as a pseudo-opioid. Tramadol has mild agonist actions at the μ-opioid (mu-opioid) receptor; the primary receptor morphine and other opioids bind with. Tramadol also has antidepressant actions by reducing reuptake of norepinephrine and serotonin much like SNRI class antidepressants such as Cymbalta and Effexor. Antidepressants are occasionally used in pain control because they can modulate pain, presumably like Tramadol does. It also is a mild norepinephrine agonist and it has unique anti-inflammatory actions. It is FDA approved to treat moderate-moderately severe pain, both acute and chronic.

Tramadol has been shown to be particularly effective in treating people with neuropathic (nerve pain) pain, which tends not to respond to most "classic" opioids like morphine, oxycodone, or hydrocodone. Tramadol is approximately as effective a codeine in treating pain. However individual results greatly vary, some find it to be highly effective and others find it to provide no noticeable analgesia. Many doctors believe that the analgesia Tramadol produces is a result of synergism of the mu agonist action, the inhibition of norepinephrine and serotonin reuptake, and the anti-inflammatory action.

Tramadol is commonly used in veterinary medicine, I have a bottle that was for my dog after having several teeth pulled. I also used it for an older dog with bone cancer. It has been around for a very long time (1970's) and very frequently used after THR in the US.

Tell me about your 'recliner' should I have one?? Do you need/want help today? I am single but have a friend who is coming to take me to the hospital and will stay if I need her. How mobile are you now, is your dog calm or boisterous? I'm thinking I may want someone to come and exercise my girls so they aren't totally crazy. I am working on my 'list' to be sure I haven't forgotten anything important.

Wishing you continued success with your recovery and look forward to being on the other side too.
 
Congratulations on making it through your surgery. I'm enjoying reading about your recovery, and prayers for continued healing.
 
Hi @Plum Perfect thank you for the information on Tramadol. It's interesting because just last week, I told my husband that when I take it I feel a bit of euphoria that comes on about 2 hours after I take one and lasts for a while. I just figured it was because it helped my pain, hah.
Plum, I was able to rent an electric lift recliner from a medical health supply store. It's covered in vinyl so it's easy to clean and feel good about having in your house. it's very comfortable and at this point I would struggle if I had to try to get up off the bed by myself. I can maneuver much easier in the lift chair and get up easily.
It seems to make sleeping on your back easier, too. You may want to consider renting one if you are by yourself for any amount of time.
I still have help today, my husband is here, and I am very appreciative of his help.
Of course I don't have a bathroom on my first floor so that requires some maneuvering which makes it hard to do on your own. I think I would say that I need and want the help regardless of the first floor issues. I was able to dress myself today but hubby does the socks and shoes.

Oh my! still so sleepy! This took 30 minutes of my dozing off and on. hah, so will close for now. I hope it helps.
 
Hi @Plum Perfect thank you, I appreciate that information as Tramadol has been a lifesaver for me I don't know what I would've done without it since I didn't want to take stronger meds like oxycodone or percocet every day long term and I made it very clear to my PCM that I do not want to take anything that is highly addictive or a strong narcotic. She assured me that as long as I'm taking it for legitimate pain and take it as directed, the risks of addiction are low. I only took one 50mg pill 2x a day for about a year and added a mid-day dose about a year ago with no negative side effects. A week before my surgery I weaned myself down to 1 per day at bedtime because I wanted whatever meds I took post surgery to work as well as possible; I had no side effects or problems weaning off but boy was I in pain without my Tramadol and Mobic. I was completely off the Tramadol after the surgery for 2.5 weeks with no withdrawal problems, and just started taking it a few times a day again in place of the oxycodone (w/ OS permission)- except at bed time I still take 1 oxycodone. Here's another interesting article about it: https://www.tramadolfacts.com/is-tramadol-a-narcotic/ I didn't have any of the "euphoric" effects mentioned in this article because apparently it went straight to my pain so I feel completely normal on it....a little euphoric boost would've been nice though :heehee:
 
@CricketHip I am just checking your thread to catch up on your recovery and it sounds like you are doing very well still.Being sleepy is very much the norm at this stage so just give in and sleep when your body tells you to.How is the walking progressing ?
 
Congratulations @CricketHip, welcome to the other side!! I'm so glad everything went well with the surgery! Rest and relax and you will be 100% before you know it!
 
@Kim22 the walking is good. if I use the walker I can keep my leg and foot straight ahead, am able to walk heel toe, too. My goodness, I have tons of food coming in. Isn't it nice when your friends come together to help?
not much of an appetite yet, I make sure to eat healthy foods when I do eat.
Thank you @JoeyD. Everything is coming along fine!! The nice weather doesn't hurt. We had the windows open since early morning, so good to hear the birds chirping and feel a cool breeze wafting in.
 
Hi @PegGene thank you for the additional information on Tramadol, the more we know the better we are. I have never taken Tramadol but it appears to be one of my surgeons drugs of choice. He uses aspirin for DVT prophylaxis, Celebrex for pain/inflammation, Ducosate to help with keeping stuff moving, and Tramadol or stronger drugs as needed for immediate pain. My surgeon only does hips and many hundred every year, everything runs like a well oiled machine but they all take time to answer any questions and give a sense of confidence. As the time approaches I am so looking forward to getting back to my activities.

@CricketHip glad you are doing so well and taking time to sleep so your body can recover. Thanks for the info on the chair, I'm looking into that today. It is hard to believe sitting will be comfortable, I avoid sitting now as much as possible. I am lucky that my home is one story, no stairs at all and very open so I haven't had to move anything. The house is also very small so not far to go for anything I need. Sleep sounds wonderful too, now I stay up late because I know I won't sleep, I am so looking forward to a good nights sleep.

@CricketHip keep up the smooth recovery, I love hearing from you.
 
Hi Cricket!
Just wanted to see how you're doing today and you sound like you're doing great! I'm so happy for you! Rest, rest and more rest is the order of the day. Sending you prayers and hugs! :-)
 
@CricketHip, it sounds like you are doing so great! I loved reading about you having the windows open. What a lovely time of year to have this surgery...of course, I am biased as Fall is my favorite season.
Continued good thoughts flowing your way! I'm glad you're loving the special recliner. That ROCKS, as do you. :)
 
@CricketHip, you have always been amazing and upbeat. All your posts are entertaining. I am so happy you are doing well. Sleep is so healing. I was constantly taking naps in the first weeks, and even now, months later, naps are still important on the week-ends.

I'm glad you have a lift recliner. I used pillows on my ordinary soft recliner to make getting out of it easier. Try and visualize this, I was all comfy and my little dog was curled up next to me when I scooted back (4th day after surgery). In very slow motion, the chair started to tip backwards, the dog looked at me and I watched her as she went up and over and so did I. We were both flat on our backs, legs in the air, when the giggles struck. I was laughing so hard. The room mate had no sense of humor. Of course it took me over an hour to wiggle and scoot until I could get in a sitting position off the floor. Then more time until I could struggle to my feet. I was exhausted but happy that I survived and none of it was painful. Good pain meds! A few days later, my daughter took me to Jerome's to buy a recliner that was higher. Great buy but when I'm tired, it still takes numerous tries to force the leg rest down.

Life is fun.
 
@Plum Perfect the chair goes back almost flat. It's like a zero gravity chair. Your home sounds ideal for the recovery!
Rooney ( my dog) is behaving fairly well, but he doesn't like me on the walker, he tries to jump up and inside it to kiss me. But it's not that bad
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom