THR Miss Muffet proudly presents - her new hips

Hello @Miss Muffet.

Are you doing any exercises to strengthen leg muscles? Such exercises helped stabilize my legs after surgery 1 and helped me start increasing my walking distance. I started these exercises in out patient physical therapy.

I tapered off all meds a couple of days ago. There is little to no pain or discomfort now. I walk a couple miles a day, weather permitting (usually not all at once). I carry a 5 iron from my golf bag in lieu of a cane so I can stop and hit pine cones. Hopefully I can get back on the course sooner than later.

I took more pills after this surgery and have tapered off all of them (< 3 weeks). These included Celebrex (for foot swelling), Muscle relaxer (for cramps), stool softener, Zofran for nausea, and Oxycodone 10 mg for pain. I've noticed I cramp up when I give blood (or lose it during surgery). The methocarbamol (750 mg) muscle relaxer really helped this time around in reducing painful leg cramps.

I declined in home nursing and PT this time since last time it seemed a waste of time and money. I start Out Patient PT tomorrow (12/6). I have a leg length discrepancy (LLD) I hoped would be corrected with the most recent surgery. It's better, not perfect, and the PT will measure it tomorrow and I may end up investing in some orthopedic shoes. It's less than an inch (< 2.5 cm)) but over the years this has tilted my pelvis and lower spine. This has lead to lower back pain which I can already tell has improved.

I'm so grateful to be living in an age when such procedures are possible. I am also grateful to be able to clip my own toenails again and tie my own shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting reading this set of posts - today I'm having a "down" day, after what was my achieving weekend. Didn't sleep too well & frankly it was all I could do to get up, make breakfast, shower, & try to rescue the kitchen from dear husband's cheffy bonanza last night. Chatted to M-I-L whilst she wrestled with the TEDs, then I'm ashamed to say I rested for 4 hours. This has made me feel a total failure, but the weather isn't great, still icy out so can't go out for a walk, & am alone (but only 8 days more of working term for husband, so hopeful I can pull myself together with him in tow).
However, reading the above, I realise on the plus side that I finished with all pain meds ages ago, except for the odd paracetamol (much like normal life), so I wonder if I can take from this that we all heal indifferent ways? e.g. I'm tired but pain-free, whereas for others it's the reverse. Or now I'm thinking does that mean I'm in no pain because I'm being super-lazy?? I just don't know, but I'm kind of listening to what my body thinks it wants. Maybe I'm overthinking it all?

Sorry, how rude that came out -"finished with meds ages ago" that sounded so self-congratulatory & arrogant - I would of course take them like a shot if necessary. Think I'm just trying to find my own personal silver lining as am feeling such a useless great immobile lump! Apologies!!:beg:

@doopy, it didn't sound that way at all! And please be kind to yourself. You are only 3 weeks out. At that point after my THR, I was resting almost all the time, just walking (with aids) as necessary between bed, bathroom, dining room and kitchen. You NEED lots of rest, to help allow your bones and soft tissues to heal. The energy drain after surgery is real and you just can't fight it. Go with the flow. Rest whenever your body seems to need it, and no feeling guilty allowed!

I'm all behind. It's been a bit of a week. Coming up 5 weeks on Tuesday 13 December and I now feel a bit of a turning point. I've had patches over the past few weeks when I've felt pretty darned tired. Just getting up, showering and dressing left me feeling I wanted to crawl back into bed again. So my OS's words rung in my ears when he told me to listen to my body and it will guide you. When I've felt drained I just sloped off to bed and bagged a couple of hours. On Wednesday night hubby and I had a corporate event to host and I admit I was a tad nervous as its not easy to melt into the background when you're on parade. It was the reception that bothered me most - needing to stand - however that went fine and actually it was the prolonged sitting that was slightly uncomfortable. So I made a point of hostessing (getting up, checking on drinks and circulating). I was so glad that it went well - and I earned a good lie in the next day. I cut down my meds a bit yesterday but adjusted back up slightly today. Have been Christmas decorating which involved a lot of moving around. It's a bit of suck it and see. Just over another week before I ditch the TEDs and think about driving. Hope everyone is trucking along well. Any problems you know where Bonesmart is - and open for business.

@Miss Muffet Doesn't everyone just feel exhausted for more than a few weeks after surgery?
I am over 6 weeks and I think I am just now getting my stamina back. People never realize that you just had major surgery! You are up and about but the insides have to catch up. Rest, rest and rest!

Sounds like you were doing very well at the reception with standing and etc. Did you wear a full slap? Ha! Ha!

So happy to read your post! You have been a busy active lady! By all accounts you are doing very well, just don't forget to listen to your body and rest when you need to.

Prolonged sitting is uncomfortable to me as well, even 12 weeks out. I prefer standing or walking as often as I can. Take care!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Yes @SwimGirl - FULL SLAP? Of course!
I think our anxiety to be fully active again - and possibly in our enthusiasm and delight that the surgery is over - means we are prone to over-egging just how well we are doing. This can send messages to our friends and family that we're right back on top. We forget that they're also keen to see us restored to full health so we are walking a slightly tricky path. We all hate to grumble, so have a tendency to gloss over when we're feeling sore or tired. I guess everyone around us watched our decline and then the long build-up to surgery, so there's a dangerous assumption that, now all that is behind us, we are completely back to full health. We just need to take a smidgeon of control and not be afraid to speak up and say "I need to sit now" or "I need a nap" - and also to ask for help. I think this gently reminds those around us that this road to recovery takes a little while.

@Clipper -apologies for not responding earlier. I'm around a week ahead of you. Truthfully I have done no PT at all, save for a few gentle stretches. I faithfully followed the Bonesmart mantra - really must walking - as it worked for me after my earlier THR in April. I've read too many stories on here of those who have hit the PT too soon and too hard and ended up wondering why they're experiencing pain. I'm currently experimenting with cutting out the Ibruprofen now so am taking 2 x paracetamol 3 x daily as well as the tummy protector. I finish asprin a week tomorrow. Am keen to be off the meds but conscious that if I rush it I'll end up hurting and feeling despondent. It's a fine balancing act but I feel quietly confident that things are running along the right path. I hope the LLD doesn't turn out to be a nuisance. I have to say that I am prone to limp if I don't consciously think about my gait. This is most obvious in the mornings when I'm still stiff after a night's sleep. It requires concentration to teach our brain to unlearn this bad habit!

Thought I'd update on a post I made in January this year. My hair was falling out and I was quite alarmed. It continued to be thin and stringy right through my first surgery up to my second. My first course of action was to get a few inches lopped off. It felt extreme but I regarded it rather like pruning a tree and conserving the energy. Then I started using thickening shampoo, conditioner and styling cream topped off with hairspray used like a fire extinguisher). You can also buy a thickening powder which gives the roots a plumped up appearance. Along with really dry scaly skin (which needed gallons of lotions) none of this was exactly life-threatening but dinted my self-esteem at a time when I was feeling particulary dingy and just plain old. I also introduced a multi vitamin with extra B vitamins and biotin. There was talk of preOp and postOp stress being contributing factors which I do feel are relevant. People lose hair when they've experienced trauma and this seemed to be an entirely feasible explanation. Now I'm off the NSAIDs and gradually reducing my meds things seem to be improving. This along with finally having the surgeries and early recovery behind me have also affected my mood. It's amazing what an effect our emotional state can have on our bodies.

That happened to a dear friend. She lost an extreme amount of hair after an illness and wore a wig while she waited for hair thickeners and such to help. And her hair did come back as thick as it had been before. She and her doctor were never quite sure if it was the illness or the meds that caused it. Best wishes your hair treatments are just as successful.

Hello @BusterBeans - so good to hear from you. I also found my nails were like flaky pastry, which I am guessing was meds, but will never underestimate the power of stress. Coincidentally they have recovered literally in the last 2-3 weeks, so what does that tell me? I'm so glad to hear your friend regained her hair - she must have felt such a relief. We females, in particular, are hugely affected by things like that which, on top of a painful condition add to our anxiety. Hope you're well and managing to juggle Chrismas with your new hip.

I am very happy with my progress. For the last year I had thought my bilateral TKR was a failure because I continued to have stabbing pains in my knees. My OS told me to be patient after my THR because he thought once the hip was healed, all the knee pain would disappear. And last month it did. I have no more knee or left hip pain or even soreness or stiffness! Of course the right hip will need to be done in the next year or two but hallelujah all my knee pain is gone! So glad to follow your progress. Best wishes for blessed holidays for you and your family.

What great news - am so happy for you that things have worked out so well.
And have a wonderful Christmas and New Year! :tree lights::reindeerlights::box:

@Miss Muffet I don't know how I missed the hair issue in your thread earlier, so glad you mentioned it again.
I have been having the same problem the last 4 or 5 months. I figured it was just the stress on my body from the pain and waiting for surgery. My hairdresser had suggested the thickening shampoo and conditioner but I declined and decided to just wait until after my surgery to see if it is better. I have naturally curly (fizzy) hair so it being thinner just makes it want to fizzy out all over even more. I am trying to not even look in the mirror.... :hairpulling: So I am happy to know yours is getting better. :)

Message from @Gillywigs

Haven't posted for a long time now (ashamed to say) but I will forever be grateful to you and all the other Bonesmarties who provided such support before and after my thr last January. This time last year I was heading for a wheelchair. This year I am completely back to normal, back at work supply teaching and living life to the full. I just wanted to wish you and everyone else a very happy Christmas and love and blessings for the new year. I would so like to get the message across that when you are in as much pain as I was and as some of you might be, this operation is life changing in the best possible way. To all those dreading surgery I will tell you that I would have the op next time without a qualm and you won't know yourselves when you get that mobility and love of life back. Love to you all Gillywigs xx

@Tweetybrd - I'm sorry you've had the same problem. It really got me down and I'm just relieved it is beginning to show signs of change. Fizzy hair is practically the norm over here with our damp climate and hair serum is something I have to use daily! Your date will soon come around and then you can look forward confidently to a lovely new hip and lustrous hair once more.:dancy:

image.jpeg

Hello Bonesmarties. Bit of an update from Muffetland.
Just passed the 6 week mark and apart from tiredness (mostly self-inflicted I might add) things are jogging along pretty well.

We entertained the staff on Friday evening which meant a fair bit of standing at the reception then plenty of sitting. Once again I made a point of hopping up and circulating around other tables to avoid stiffening up from prolonged time on my posterior (Celebs would call it working the room)

Some shopping with The Husband on Saturday - not too much, it's just a case of WHEN is IT all done? Then picked up (not literally) 3 grand-ferals for our annual trip to the Pantomime. It was Harrison's first experience and he had us all confused. I admit the entrance concourse did resemble an airport with a huge open area and security but that is precisely where he imagined he was. So he was generally preoccupied with where the planes were and were we going to miss our flight. We finally got him seated but the whole show involved regular hikes out of the auditorium for him to check if there was an aeroplane stood outside waiting for us to board. @Josephine would have been impressed with the amount of walking this involved (excellent rehab). My step count was up. They all consumed plenty of popcorn and ice cream and loved the Panto. After a meal out we returned them to their rightful owners. And relax.

The rest of this week has been about work interspersed with cooking, wrapping and wondering if there is adequate food for The Seige. Family and neighbours gather here on Christmas Eve for food and drink and the traditional cameo appearance of Father Christmas (Mr Muffet) in the garden. We never alert them to it, they just spot him making his way to the table and bench to find his sherry and mince pie, and carrot for Rudolph, where he leaves a little gift for each of them and personal letter. Choreographing the timing of this is always tricky and so far they've not clicked. I actually think I love it every bit as much as they do!

I am delivering my crutches back to the hospital together with a card for the angels who nursed me and am mindful that all this activity has to be balanced with periods of rest - otherwise I trip up and the tiredness takes over.

Hope everything is good for my BS Buddies - don't forget that this lifeline is here regardless of your mood. If you're feeling low or have problems coping with this hectic season bring them here as no one understands quite like a Smartie.

@Miss Muffet Sounds like you are one busy lady! Well done on all that activity only 6 weeks out! Hope Santa brings you something special!

@Miss Muffet, you are a force of nature! Sounds like you are doing so much, but enjoying yourself, bringing joy to others, and not hurting yourself! I laugh at you "working the room", and am so happy that you got to return your crutches. Happy Holidays! Oh, and the grands are so sweet!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back