THR Miss Muffet proudly presents - her new hips

80 degrees @SwimGirl - how lovely But you say you could have worn shorts and flip flops .....? I would live in them with those temperatures! :SUNsmile: Mmm yes it's toasted crumpets by the fire weather for definite over here. Don't rush or panic with your PT, otherwise you'll have Josephine reminding you about the BS mantras. I'm mindful of them always as they got me through Hip #1 very nicely. I'm planning a slow and gentle approach and will only start pool walking in a few weeks time and then a gradual return to other exercise. I've lost a lot of fitness over the past 4 years and sometime after my follow up with the OS will begin to make inroads on that. I'm just SO grateful to be painfree that I don't want to spoil everything by aggravating muscles.
You'll get there:friends:
 
Your outings sound wonderful--just the thing to clear cobwebs. How do you manage chairs without arms and low toilets in these early days? Chairs in any of the restaurants/coffee shops I might go to are armless and not always terribly sturdy.
 
Hello @gertie - yes those outings do help Lynn. Cabin fever seems to set in and breaking out is the only answer. I honestly think I would have struggled after Hip #1 so early. This one seems to be a slightly smoother recovery so far. Disabled toilet facilities are generally available over here, but I was pretty irritated when I approached it yesterday at the restaurant to see a clearly able-bodied man march up and enter in front of me, so I grumbled and went to the Ladies instead and coped. Of course there's always a SheeWee in my handbag as back-up! Some restaurants have chairs with arms but it's a bit of a lottery whether you get lucky. Again I'm able to lift up with my bad leg outstretched, arms behind me and pushing up with my good leg. Some Smarties take a small cushion with them which means less of a drop but as I'm quite short that is not so much of a problem. I agree it is difficult to know if places are equipped to make life easier for us. I'm just grateful to have a Blue Badge which makes parking more convenient. Have you managed to break out at all yet?
 
Have you managed to break out at all yet?
Yes, I went out for a drive with a friend last weekend and have been for several walks with friends. Today a friend picked me up and we went to a local farm market and I did a little shopping and I may go for a short walk after a cup of tea. So I'm out and about--just not out for a meal or socializing at someone else's house.

The armless chair thing--I have long legs and a bad knee on the non-op side. The PT does have me using my op leg to help with standing--says it's OK at this stage of the game and she watches closely to be sure I'm not breaking protocols but even so it's tricky hoisting myself up if there are no arms to push on--I manage if there's a sturdy table to put one hand on but it's not easy. But getting in and out of a car is getting easier so I'm hopeful that this chair thing will resolve as well.
 
Love hearing your stories and hope your heat is now on. We had a very warm snap yesterday, and today cooler and crisper out.
I'm glad to hear you are doing so well!! I go to the doc Monday for follow up and think get staples out. Be a much needed outing!! I been icing vigorously with the polar cube. Pain is low save for the problem in the low leg area, which is seeming like sciatica and I hope when all swelling is gone, this is all well. Will talk you doc about it Monday. This is my biggest psychological hurdle. But am very thankful all else seems fine!!!
Hubbie has been super and very positive. Hey, I'm nervous about using the ADA toilet when I'm out as they are bit low for me. That's kept me from venturing out. What's a gal to do?? I go a lot!!
Keep up posts!! Take care!!
 
@Lela22 I always use the handicapped stall in women's room. The seats are higher than reg seats. Also read about a she wee. We don't have them here but have something similar. Miss Muffet just wrote about it.

Also what is a polar cube? Swelling is the norm. This too shall pass!
 
Hello @Nana2-8 - good to hear from you. The food is fine it's just the chaotic scene that is created (a fellow Smartie has a similar problem and describes it as a war zone). Hope you're doing well - only seems like yesterday you were building up to your surgery and now it is months behind you.

I'm picturing all my lovely US buddies preparing for Thanksgiving - and thinking of those who aren't able to celebrate exactly as they would wish because they're not quite up to it YET. However I just know that next year will be a time to reflect about the big changes that have happened in the intervening year. One of my current favourite ways to fall asleep is thinking about all the things I will relish in the coming months. Things I simply took for granted a few years ago.

I have potentially a busy time coming up, so will be taking stock for all of these diary dates as they arrive.
I belong to an evening art class but haven't attended much between my surgeries. They wrap up next Tuesday until the New Year and always hold what is known as a Fuddle (pooling of food and drink and chat - no work is done that evening!) on the last get together. I've booked my chauffeur (Mr M) to drive me up there so I can deliver Christmas cards and say hello to so many friends I have missed out on - because my hips got in the way. The kids and grandkids have arranged us to meet up for a meal on Wednesday for my birthday. It will be early as the yougest is only aged 2 and it is highly likely I'll be back home and bed at much the same time as him.
The following Saturday is the sailing club dinner which I think I'll cope with OK but if I should fade I will tip the wink to the husband so we can exit early if necessary. Note to self - Must get some nice tinsel to decorate my crutches with.
Then the following week is the outing to the Van Morrison gig in Manchester. Again I think I'll be ok, but have booked a wheelchair and the organisers have very kindly swapped our tickets and swung us places at ground level with nobody in front. This is a real boost and I'm so grateful to them for doing this as we would otherwise have had to forgoe the event altogether. Mr M has taken the view that, right up to the day, if I elect to pull the plug then we will ditch.
In the run up to Christmas there are other crosses in the diary, some to do with work but the most important of which is the annual trip to the Pantomine which I always book anytime from the previous January onwards for Mr M and me to take the grandkids to. Highlight of the year and they're already asking when are we going.
So it remains to be seen how this all pans out - and in the interim I'm being good. Toes up as much as possible but getting up and walking around regularly. If the weather behaves I'll look at some outside walking - accompanied by Mr M. I miss the fresh air.
 
Oh my goodness....you have a very busy month ahead! Good for you in planning to attend those functions and to see your friends. I'm not sure I would be so ready so soon after surgery, but you know best. And good for Mr M for being so co-operative in that you can bow out 'whenever'. It's grand motivation to have such fun things for which to look forward! You, being a veteran at this, know how to pace yourself. Have lots of fun! ~ ~ And let me be the first to wish you a wonderful birthday on Wednesday! xxoo
 
So much on your calendar -- so many things to look forward to and keep your spirits bright! Hope you can save time to recharge your energy every now and then.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Bit of an update on how all of that went.

Birthday meal was at a lovely, cosy local Pub already bedecked for Christmas. Granddaughter Skye firmly holds that Christmas starts as soon as my birthday happens - well it is a season after all. Good to get together with the family, and the staff were very long-suffering about mounds of discarded wrapping paper and ribbon courtesy of 2-year old Harrison. You've heard of personal shoppers - well he's a personal unwrapper. Our wedding anniversary was a couple of days later and one of those bright sparkly frosty days so the husband drove us up into The Peak District to a hotel nestled in the hills for a relaxing lunch by a log fire.

Then last night was the Sailing Club dinner. It was so good to see friends again after a prolonged break and enjoy a really full evening of catch-ups and news. One of my friends came to tell me she may be lined up for THR so I enthused about Bonesmart and promised to buddy her when/if the time comes. It comes as no suprise that this is always met with a sense of relief when people know there is a support network there. It worked for me and I am always very happy to pass on the good news.

The only slightly iffy moment was when the raffle was called and my name came out of the hat. This meant a hike the length of the room across an empty (ie exposed) dance floor to collect my gift. I had elected not to take any walking aids (didn't go with my outfit - vanity) and I glanced at Mr M to see if he was going to oblige. He just smiled and said "You can do it". And I did. My return to take my seat was accompanied by shouts of "Well done" "Brilliant" and clapping. Thank goodness for waterproof mascara. Rather than leaving early we were among the last to leave so I'm a little jaded and slow today, but nonetheless happy.
It's the outing to Manchester and the Van Morrison gig on Tuesday night - I don't regard this as a hurdle so much as another thing I will manage. Feeling very positive.

So that's the Muffet News for now and I hope wherever you are on your Hip Journey you will make full use of this wonderful site - it's stuffed full of good things like a Christmas stocking. Embrace the help and support, share your worries and woes, concerns and triumphs. This is, after all, a family and that's what families do.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there Miss Muffet congratulations on starting to get your life back. Will be thinking of you. See you on the other side x
 
Hello @Cas - and thank you. Yes, 2 new hips and everything to look forward to. Hope you're doing well. :friends:
 
To put it quite simply, @Miss Muffet , you are AMAZING!!!! You aren't even a month out yet!! But...but....what are you trying to prove? Walking across that bare dancing floor un-aided? My dear, we must protect our investment(s). I do, however, trust Mr. M's assessment that you indeed could do it, or he would have jumped to your side. So.......what was your prize? ~ ~ I'll be tracking you on Wednesday...or whenever you get around to post...about your concert 'performance'! What a great update today! Don't you just love those little un-wrapper helpers? And I agree with Skye, 'tis the season......CELEBRATE!
 
Hello hip twin. I have to say the bit about the walk across the dance floor made my room a little dusty. :boohoo: Such a nice moment. So happy for you!
 
Thanks, I really do appreciate everyone's concern but I wouldn't have even attempted it if I didn't feel as stable as I do. I am actually really surprised at the progress so far. It is way more than last time and I am putting it down to the first one being well recovered before this latest one was tackled. But I will heed Jaycey's advice I promise. Tuesday will see a hired wheelchair pressed into action - I have no intention of queueing.
Sshh @gullimac - my situation is different and I don't have young ones to keep in check. So I am in a fortunate position. My first 24 hours with Leftie were a different story but settled down fairly swiftly and as Josephine often reminds us this can be a rollercoaster ride.
 
What a fantastic weekend you celebrated and how courageous you were to go for it! Congratulations! Hope the concert is also amazing for you.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom