TKR Minnes new knee and MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jamie @Celle @pumpkin can one of you please give me the post op reading here on my thread so I can find it easily? I have seen it on other threads but always have to search for it if I have a question. Thank you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately the bruising will probably get worse before it gets better. Mine increased for probably 2 weeks and took 5-6 weeks to fade away. Considering they use a tourniquet you have to wonder how bad it would be if they didn't. :yikes: I'm not sure what exactly is meant by "log leg". I guess I never had that? I hope the PT is able to help.
 
@gr82cu2 I can't lift my leg off the bed no matter how hard I try. Can't do straight leg raises. So I am having to use the immobilizer anytime I am weightbearing. Apparently my quad muscle hasn't woken up fully or something like that. PT said it usually only lasts a few days but sometimes a week or so. Guess I am one of the unlucky ones as I am at day 5 lol. It would be so much easier if it would just work.:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Awww, I'm sorry! That must be very frustrating and having to use the immobilizer is the pits. I only had to use mine a couple of times in the hospital until the PT was sure my leg was stable and would hold my weight. I hope it gets better for you very soon and your PT is able to do something to encourage it along.
 
Oh my......I can't believe we let you go this long without your very own reading list!!!! We're falling down on the job! Here ya go.....happy reading! Be sure and ask any questions that come up. We're here for you.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And finally some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
Kathy @Minnie's knees

Sorry to hear about your difficulties in lifting your leg off the bed.
Don't know what an immobiliser is, but if you need to use it for awhile longer it will make that task more easier for you.

It's only day 5/6 for you, so it will come.

Cathie
 
@marmora the immobilizer is a soft brace that goes from ankle to thigh and keeps the knee stable when I am weight bearing. It is for safety until my quad muscle re-engages to stabilize the knee. It is inconvenient to put it on and take it off each time I need to get up as it requires someone to help me.

@chestnc Thank you and you are right, this too shall pass. I just hope it hurries up lol.
 
@Jamie Thank you for the reading list. I had read some of the articles on other threads even before my surgery so I knew there is some great information in this list. I also like to refer back to the articles to refresh or reinforce the information.
 
Kathy @Minnie's knees

Thank you for explaining what The Immobiliser was.
Thought as much, as I wore one in college for about 6 months after a knee injury, but only during the day.
Really what every college girl wanted to wear during the height of the mini skirt fashion !

It came off at night, so when you said that you slept with in on, I though it might be a type of CPM unit that worked throughout the night.

Take care and may today be better than yesterday and tomorrow even better for you.
Cathie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I know log leg! It took a good week for my quad muscles to "wake up", and it was the most incredibly frustrating feeling. I swear I spent more time staring at my leg doing the whole 'Jedi mind trick' thing and telling it it WOULD move! I was beginning to swear it would never move again, and think I cried when it finally did.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom