Guest viewing is limited

TKR Minnes new knee and MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I tried being on the sofa for a little while and found it very difficult to get up as it was too low. My knee turned too far as I tried to get up and I felt something pop a little. It is tender on the inside of my knee where I felt the pop. I don't know if that was there before or not. Now I am scared. @Josephine any advice? I am waiting on drs office to call back. I was able to sleep in bed in between my meds.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch! :flabber: @Minnie's knees i can't do the couch either. I have a big thick cushion I put in chair or couch whenever I sit in them. It's made for that. Bought it from Amazon.com. You may have strained it but I doubt there's any harm done. But glad you tagged Josephine! She can tell you what to look for.
 
@ConnieJOS the on call Dr said the same and that it might have been scar tissue or kneecap but it should be okay. What a relief. I am going to have to look for a cushion like that as I don't like being in bed all day.
 
@Minnie's knees From what I have read on threads the knees can take quite a bit of abuse. I was talking to a woman telling me a friend had both knees done and was in a car accident with her knees hitting the dash board and they were fine. Although I am terrified hubby will fall and land on his knees, I think they would be fine if that happens.
 
@madinana If you go to Amazon and search for "hip cushion" you'll find many of them. They come 2, 4, or 6 inch thickness.
It has a strap to carry it with if you want to take it with you. It's not a wedge, just flat like a cushion in a wheelchair.
  • [Bonesmart.org] Minnes new knee and MUA
 
Hello,

I was serious about visiting Iceland and seeing The Northern Lights & The a BlueLagoon:snow dig:
In a few weeks there will be direct flights from Dublin.

So, when you take the cruise over here we can detour to Iceland for a few days.


My other destination would be Istanbul.
My DH wants that to be our next city break when I able.
Several friends have been there and were enchanted by the experience.

But, next trip will be to Norway to visit my son & DIL, as they've just bought their first home and will be moving in before Christmas.

Take care,
Cathie

Ps. As I write this I am :chillpill: & :ice:
Still love my ice
 
My knee seemed to get stiff after using the ice for about 3 hours today. Is that normal? I had my first in home PT eval and they will start coming out on Monday. He took me through several exercises like in the hospital. It didn't hurt but I was tired and started icing after that. So it may have been the exercise rather than the ice. PT did say my extension looks very good. Also the visiting nurse stopped by and said everything looked good with the incision.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Minnie's knees Sorry about the popping! I know it didn't sound good and is sore now but probably nothing to worry about. You're going to experience a lot of strange and unpleasant things that will leave you wondering what in the world is happening. It could have even been something as simple as an internal suture popping loose. I hope it is ok, really I do. How is your ROM doing? I saw you post on someone's thread that you are disappointed in it right now. Try not to be. I know it is hard but @tiredwife told you it will get worse before it gets better. These early days bring tons of swelling which is very limiting for ROM. In the hospital I was at 90 flexion. 10 days later at my first out patient PT I was 84 because by then the swelling had set in big time. It will get better :) I promise :) And if I'm wrong @tiredwife will be happy to find you a special Juan who can make everything all better in no time :)

All this talk about raising the seating height got me to thinking.....I wonder if I could double up the cushions on my sofa by using the cushions off the sofa in our downstairs family room that NEVER gets used? Hmmmm.....might not be a bad idea to at least try. Because of where my sofa is I think it will be harder to get off of with this next knee. Space is tight there. Hmmmmmm.........
 
Kathy @Minnie's knees

Sorry to read about your discomfort and unease with the popping sound. And hope that it settles for you.

We have leather couches that are lower than a kitchen chair, in order to make sitting and getting up from them I have used a large soft scatter cushion to sit on to give extra height to the seating area and this makes getting up much easier.

Icing is good and maybe the stiffness after 3 hours of continuos icing is from having your knee in one position for that length of time. It might be better to take a break every hour, take off the ice and naive the knee or walk around and then reapply the ice.

My knee is very stiff in the morning when I first wake up from being in my sleeping position for so long. And it can take 10 minutes of stretches and walking around to lose the stiff feeling.

Jackie @tiredwife has given me my own "Juan" . You can look at him on my own thread - he's beautiful !

Take care,
Cathie
 
@gr82cu2 my ROM is only 50 :boohoo:but they said my extension is great.I still have Log leg. I am trying to ice and elevate but every position gets uncomfortable. The ice wrap gets too cold, the pillows are too high, too low, etc. I'm sure a lot of it is my frustration with the mobility issues.
 
Cathie @marmora I will try taking breaks between the icing. Thank you for the suggestion. I am also finding that my foot tends to turn out when I a sleeping and causes some pain and stiffness when I wake up. I am normally a side sleeper so that has been difficult as well.
 
I know this will get better and that there are positives. My pain is controlled, I am sleeping well in my bed, my extension is good and My husband and daughter are taking good care of me. My ROM will improve and I know that there will be ups and downs. I wish someone had a magic wand to wave over us and make it all better right now. I warned everyone I am not a patient person. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
They say extension is the hardest to get. And I can attest to it being the most painful. So, try to focus on the positive if you can. Your flexion will come with time and some effort but right now it is very early with lots and lots of swelling limiting it. It will get better, I promise!
 
@Minnie's knees Hey, If you are a side sleeper sleep on your side, just make sure you have a pillow between your knees and your new knee is on top and elevated a bit. Sounds like your meds may need adjusting if you can't find some comfort. If you want a hunk let me know what type you want!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom