Guest viewing is limited

TKR Minnes new knee and MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad to hear of your progress! @Minnie's knees. Some things that have worked for me here in sunny San Diego area. My husband put the sectional in the family room up on 4 in. blocks under each leg of the sofa. It has made getting up and down much easier. However I have also sat on a lower chair and this morning it cause no issues. I was at 77 ROM yesterday with physical therapist so work to do there . She didn't say anything about extension other than to say we have work to do to get to 90, which is goal when I see OS on 5 November for 2 week exam. She said that quad sets are your best friends when it comes to improving the extension; she emphasized that even more than flexion. She said you cannot do too many quad sets. So while I am in lying down position I am doing as many quad sets as I can tolerate. I have been sleeping on the sectional and have had great results both with positioning an actual asleep. I have my meds on a timer/alarm so I can assess pain before taking them but not miss a dose during the day or while sleeping. Just yesterday I scaled-back the number of meds I am taking from two every four hours to one every three hours, and supplement with 325 mg of Tylenol every other dose. I started that last night and had no significant increase in pain as a result, and slept very well between alarms So far I am very pleased with the recovery, but I understand that it is slow and steady that wins this race. It is the turtle in the turtle and hare story.
 
Kathy @Minnie's knees

Sleeping can be a problem in the early weeks.

I am also a side sleeper and as Jackie @tiredwife suggested a pillow between the knees worked well the first few weeks. From early days my TKR leg also turned out when side sleeping and even if I tried to keep it straight during sleep it would go to this more comfortable position.
Now at 14 weeks, no need for the pillow.

My extension is 6/8 and it harder then Flexion for me. I had extension problems for many years, so working on lengthening those muscles and ligaments at the back of my leg will be along term process.

You are in such early days yet, and I think that you are doing great :yay:

Hello Lu @Lusknewknees
Good to hear how your are getting on and seem to be having a comfortable recovery.
Again, very early days and there will be ups and downs, but your BoneSmart friends will be here for you. :flwrysmile:

Take care,
Cathie
 
@Minnie's knees It took me several weeks to sleep on my side again. Even with a pillow between my legs it made my knee hurt. It's the same way now with my new surgery. The only way I can sleep is sitting up in bed with my back against pillows on the headboard. It sounds really uncomfortable, and I probably couldn't do it except that the hydrocodone makes me so sleepy, but this works for me.
 
@minnieknees, I am a side sleeper as well. I am five weeks out and I am just now being able to lay on my side for short periods of time. I tried many times before this and it was just too painful. My first surgery I couldn't even sleep in our bed. I slept in my recliner for the first six weeks. So this time with having an adjustable bed, I have been able to sleep in the bed with my feet elevated. Even though this is very comfortable I still miss sleeping on my side. But I know it will come. I had problems with my extension after my first surgery and I wonder if this is why I couldn't sleep in bed. This time I have more trouble with bending.
Hang I. There. You are still very early in recovery and I think you are doing great!!!!! Anne
 
Thank you everyone for your encouragement and support. I realize it is still very early, just feeling frustrated already :sigh: even though I know I shouldn't be. PT comes again tomorrow and we'll see how that goes.
 
@Minnie's knees found this guy wondering around, you want him?
[Bonesmart.org] Minnes new knee and MUA
 
@marmora Diana is only the Queen of the Promise Land (despite what she claims), I am the Queen of the Emoticons, Laurie is Queen of the Overdoers, Connie is Queen of ROM, You can find you a title and be Queen or Princess!

@Minnie's knees My dad had eyes that color blue, wish I had inherited them!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom