THR MEPil on the recovery side

Hi @MEPil
I'm quite sure nothing is wrong. You will have soreness for awhile and swelling can actually last up until a year...for a few. That certainly doesn't mean it will for you, but you are so very early into recovery at only eight days post op. Swelling can also come and go with over activity and also too much lazing around.

Please do take it easy in PT tomorrow and each session that follows. It is very early for PT, in my opinion, and I'd hate to see you push yourself and land in the ODIC (Over Did It Club) as we refer to it. If anything they ask you to do hurts, please stop and don't do it.

You can ice for months for pain and swelling, so don't feel you need to be giving that up any time soon. Stick with us....we're here to answer questions, offer advice, support and encourage. We care.
A peaceful evening to you!

My insion and around it are sore. The exercises are a few of the ones I did after my knee replacement. The glute squeeze,back of knee pressed into matress, lower leg lift propped on a rolled up towel and the heal slide. That's the ones the hospital PT sent home with me to do. I wonder if the heal slide could be keeping my leg and thigh so sore. It's harder for me to do right now.

@MEPil those exercises are amongst the same ones I was sent home with and from day 1-21 on the list. You are still early on in the recovery so its going to take a bit.
@Layla these exercises are in the Force Theraputics at home exercise list that are given to patients at certain ortho hospitals for after discharge, when they have anterior THR surgery with no restrictions by a number of surgeons. I share your caution in anything that is not ultra conservative treatment at this point post op...having had my PT woes pre op!

@Mojo333 thank you. I had therapy today and it wasn't bad and not pushy. My therapist said everything I'm dealing with sounds like part of the healing process. I had her check my insion and she said it doesn't look infected, just sore. I'll be glad when Monday gets here and I see my OS Assistant.

@Layla thank you. I am wondering why some Doctors have us in PT so early on. Looks like it would be more to our advantage to wait until after they recheck us again and pain levels are down more.

Happy that therapy went well for you and that the incision is looking good. I know we always feel better after we see the OS or his PA so thinking Monday will give you a sigh of relief that all is normal. Have a great evening!

Thank you @Elf1 I sure hope I hear that from him. I am very sore tonight. Seems like the exercises really make me sore. I'm icing but leg movement is hard.
Hope you have a great evening.

Hopefully icing and elevating will take the soreness away. If not you may want to reconsider how much you're doing at PT. A lot of time we don't know it's too much until we stop and then we're side and hurting. Chill out tonight, hope tomorrow finds your soreness gone. :curtsey:

@CricketHip my thigh and leg are so very tender and sore. I've got to have a heart to heart with my O S assistant on Monday. Until this soreness goes away, I don't feel like I can progress forward. I'm not having pain exactly just soreness like I've been beaten with a ball bat. Is that common for this stage or abnormal. Could the stem in the bone be having a problem? I'm upset with this. I'm not doing anything I'm aware of to cause it.

@Elf1 I did a set of exercises this morning and really took it slow. Don't plan to do anymore today. Too much soreness.

@Jaycey the one the hospital sent home with me and two more.
Towel under ankle pump foot 30 count
Towel under thigh raise lower leg 10 times
Squeeze gluts 10 times
Push back of right knee to bed 5 countx10
Heel slide 10 count ( that one is a bit of a challenge right now.
Stand facing sink raise left leg putting weight on right side then doing the same putting full weight on operated side. Doing that 10 times, no counting.
She also had me do the foot pump cycle at PT yesterday. On

As you said earlier - these are exercises for knees not hips. And leg raises at this early stage are bound to make you sore.

I would stop all this and let that op leg rest. Ice, elevate and rest. See if this eases. You are not in training - you are healing. Once that hip is healed you can get back to exercising.

The exercises are mostly the ones I did when I had my knee replacement last year. I was sore then too but this is a deep soreness.

@Jaycey you are totally right and I plan to tell my OS Assistant that on Monday. I'll not do any until I see him, I agree I'm not in training but healing. The PT will just prolong the soreness. Thank you for the advice.

It's not funny but a beating with a ball bat would be minor compared to what they do to install a hip replacement. Soreness unfortunately is pretty normal.

@VSlowLife I see my OS Assistant Monday then PT on Tuesday. The soreness was already there, the exercises are making them more sore. The exercises are the same ones the PT sent home with me from the hospital, so I know they are pretty standard but for me, maybe not ready for them just yet.

@MEPil That Is good, so you will know more when you go to PT after seeing the assistant OS. You know your body best and you are not a newbie this time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks