THR MEPil on the recovery side

Oh, @MEPil I’m sorry to be slow to reply but see you’ve had good advice from Jaycey.
You are perfectly fine without doing all of those exercises for now.
Just take a week off and rest that hip and leg.
Walk when you can and need to. Rest. Ice. Elevate.
The more you heal and recover, the more you can enjoy walking for longer periods.
You are doing too much too soon.
Take care and Im sorry you are worried. I bet, after resting over the weekend, you will feel much better!
:flwrysmile:
 
@CricketHip, no problem getting back to me, I just appreciate your help. Maybe I'm expecting to much to soon and my body just doesn't go along with my expectations. Seems like the past couple years have taken a told on my body and nerves. I'm going to take your advice, especially getting to talk with my OS Assistant on Monday. He's not going to like it when I tell him I'd like to put a hold on PT for a week or so to give my leg some time to heal a bit but we'll see. They are big on PT. I think it's just too soon for me. What do you think about me doing that?
 
Well, your body is protesting and PT can’t be a ‘one size fits all’ protocol.
I really can’t imagine that your surgeon will pressure you.
You aren’t even 2 weeks post op yet.
I only did what I could do and it wasn't much in regards to the exercises. Some days I could only do 3,4 or 5 reps and was happy with that!
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the improvement when you take at least the weekend off.
You have had 2 major joint replacements in a little over a years time. So it’s natural for you to be feeling a little anxious.
Please be kind to yourself.
Rest, ice and elevate and let your body recover a bit. It will be ok. I hope you sleep well tonight.
 
Hi @MEPil
Many people go through recovery with no formal PT. It's really not necessary unless you need to work on something in particular, as an example, gait.

It's your body and your choice, not your surgeon's or PA's. Your expectations may be unrealistic as you're only ten days removed from a major surgery when your flesh was cut, bone sawed and power tools used to ream out your femur so that a prosthetic could be hammered into place. Muscle and soft tissue were separated and disturbed. Your body is trying to heal and it is healing but you need to help it along through getting adequate rest / sleep, proper nutrition and meds to control the pain so you're able to move about.

Exercise is unecessary right now aside from walking. Look at it this way, if you sustained a similar injury from a car wreck, would you feel the need to exercise, or put your body through a workout? Doubtful, right? Give it some thought and work on gathering up the courage to tell the PA you want to do it your way by giving it several weeks. Then, if / when you feel a need, you'll call to schedule PT. In the interim, you will continue to heal and most likely realize you're doing just fine without it. But as mentioned before, if there's something you feel you may want to work on, you can always schedule a few sessions at a later date.

Try to relax about it all and take it slow. You'll get there. What worked for me was to gauge weekly progress as opposed to looking for daily improvement.
Try that and see if it works for you, pick a day and every week on that same day, look back reflecteing on the progress you've made that week.
You're going to be okay, it just takes a little time.

Big hugs and wishes for your comfort and peace of mind.
 
My quads were super super sore...those muscles are traumatized and I think your plan is spot on.
Just walking around and not to excess is plenty for now.
Hope the weekend is restful and dont forget to ice!:ice:

Hugsxxx
 
@CricketHip thank you, I'm in total agreement, I plan to rest more over the weekend and see how I feel. The desire to get well is so strong and I'm one that thinks I have to make that happen. Maybe I better start realizing my body has a say in that as well, I don't want to make recovery any harder or longer than it already is.
 
Thank you all so much for the advice, I'm not going to push myself as much either, maybe I've been guiltyof that as much as PT tries to get us to do. Car wreck, good example. My quads and side of leg are where I am so very sore. Walking around the house this weekend is my goal.
 
Happy to hear it, @MEPil
I really believe in taking it easy, only walking around the house, with some dedicated icing you'll begin noticing improvement. Early days sweet lady....it will get better! Hugs :console2:
 
I know this is tough stuff and navigating the recovery with conflicting opinions...but I think you'll find that if you do chill for a bit, and try to just go with your instincts...it will be easier and you will see improvements.

Healing mojo coming your way.
 
@Layla @Mojo333 thank you both so much. I am still very sore this evening and insion area is sore too and kinda red. Just been walking around the house today for exercise and some icing.
My big concern is will the terrible limp I developed before this surgery go away so I can walk normally after I'm healed. I do worry about that. Well just one more day before I see my OS Assistant.
Hope everyone has a good evening a wonderful Sunday.
 
@VSlowLife I am concerned about that. I'd hate to think after going through both a knee and hip replacement I'd still have a limp and be on a cane. I know it's early but until I feel I can manage ok, I'll stay on the walker. I don't want to rush anything and cause problems with healing.
 
Hello again,
Please try not to worry this early out. You'll need to give it time. It may take anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months to lose the limp. The muscle and tissue around the joint is healing and will strengthen with time. As will your flexibility.

It is recommended you continue to use an assistive device for as long as you're limping. I hope when you ice you're icing for 45-60 mins, no less, several times per day. You're doing fine, really, so try to relax and understand that all will slowly fall into place. It takes patience for sure, but you'll get there.
Have a nice evening.
@MEPil
 
You received some great advice. The only exercise besides walking that I did more religiously was ankle pumps but with nothing under the ankle. This is the one to keep blood flowing and it did not really cause strain or stress on the hip. So as I was elevating I did many ankle pumps in sets of 10 because it was painless and then getting up and walking. With my multiple trips to the bathroom the walking was taken care of.

Have a restful Sunday.
 
@MEPil one size does not fit all in recovery as mentioned earlier and I am a believer of that. Listen to your body, have that heart to heart talk tomorrow. I was very frank with my PT and fortunate she was "mature", though I didnt go till after 4 weeks and was specific to gait. You are in a recovery not training for the Olympics
 
@Steelmanpa I'm definitely not in training for sure. I plan to have a heart to heart tomorrow with my Dr assistant and then Tuesday with my PT. The insision area and all around my leg to my knee and hip area is extremely sore and the exercises maybe are are not helping at this point and still some numbness. I don't want to do the wrong thing but these past two weeks have been miserable. Not even two weeks until Tuesday. I know I'm going to have to have help not limping but maybe I need to heal more before that even begins. I don't know how so many people seem to advance so quickly and how they say hip surgery is easier than knee surgery, they must have supper powers. Not me. Thank you so much for your advice so appreciated. You seem to be doing good on this recovery road.
 
So sorry you are struggling @MEPil ! I recovered at a snail's pace post my first THR. Everyone around me was back to exercising and getting on with life and I was still very much in recovery mode. A lot of this depends on how long you limped around pre-op. For me it was years. So naturally my recovery took longer.

The good new is that the end result is the same. Life without hip pain. You'll get there!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom