Bilateral TKR May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Why should they be boss after I put up with their nonsense for so many years?:snork:
 
Did you come home with a brace or not? I don't remember how long I have to wear these things and they are driving me crazy!


Bilateral tkr May 19, 2014
 
No, I never had a brace, not even in the hospital. I was worried at first because for the first few days home, my right knee would sometimes "give" but then it stopped. I think it doesn't hurt to have the brace in the beginning, but I'm betting you won't have it much longer. :yes:
 
Pt that brought me the cpm said he would like to see me about 85 on the machines in 21 days. Is that pushing too hard?
I do not like setting any schedule like, "By this time in X number of days or weeks or months, you should be..." We all recover at different rates and in different ways. Sometimes,this will force you to work too hard, which is, ironically, counterproductive and slows down recovery even more.

I have none either. I also a control freak. Hard to let the knees be in control.
You will find it, trust me; you will find it. The knees are in charge and will take you where you need to go, but they will get you there---recovered---one their own schedule.
 
He was not encouraging me to push there but rather telling me to not go over since I will still have staples.


Bilateral tkr May 19, 2014
 
Trying to measure ROM with staples in was un nerving. I kept thinking they were all going to pop out...but they didn't. It just felt weird.


BTKR 1 April 2014
 
I was at 6/66 and 10/68 yesterday. Was a bit more swollen since coming home. I also think I may have put myself into shock. I put the ice bags on after pt and got the chills and muscle spasms. Barely made it into bed an had to cover up with sheet and blanket. Finally settled back down about 1 am and slept until 6. Feeling worn out and achy this morning.


Bilateral tkr May 19, 2014
 
thats no good - I had a day a bit like that yesterday. I think it is really easy to overdo things early and the next day isn't quite as smooth as the one before. I've had muscle spasm problems as well, they are awful. Good luck and hope today is a better day for you.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Laying in the dark with the cpm machines going. Seems to be helping with the spasms some. Soooo stiff! Only day 5. Patient patient patient


Bilateral tkr May 19, 2014
 
I had to get some Valium to help with the spasms. The other thing the physio did for me which helped with them was to have ice on the knee, but heat packs on the thigh. This relaxed some of the muscle in the quads which worked some.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I out ice on after pt and that made me so cold I couldn't get warm. Then I got so hot I couldn't get cool. The core temp is EVERYWHERE right now.


Bilateral tkr May 19, 2014
 
I remember those days when my body temperature was so erratic. Not fun at all. My knees were burning and I would be shivering. Finally I slept with a small blanket from the thighs up.
 
How many more days until it settles? Ugghh. Everything is so tight today. :(


Bilateral tkr May 19, 2014
 
How are you feeling now? Maybe overdone it on the day of going home? keep resting and hand in there.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
For me, things started settling down about the four to five week mark. But even now I am careful to not overdo.
 
How are you feeling now? Maybe overdone it on the day of going home? keep resting and hand in there.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
Tried to do all the pt and cpm machines and was hurting hurting. Trying to get settled this morning so I can take a sponge bath. Deciding what to expend energy on is a strange concept. ;-)


Bilateral tkr May 19, 2014
 
Things we take for granted: showers and doing what you want when you want


Bilateral tkr May 19, 2014
 
I don't think My meds are doing the trick and OS won't be in until Tuesday. I've started pt exercises of foot flexes, leg lifts, heel slides, and knee press downs. It may just be my quads "waking" up but I'm having lots of muscle twitches and tingling.
 
I noticed some twitching last night for the first time. One of them jarred me awake enough I just stayed up for a little bit. I've read somewhere in another thread that that is your muscles waking up. When I stand after being down for a while, I have a stinging in my knee that always passes after a few seconds. Is that the tingling you're talking about?
 
It's almost skin crawling feeling. Some twitches yes.


Bilateral tkr May 19, 2014
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom