Revised PKR to TKR Makoplasty: ongoing pain<

Within the last 2 weeks these pkrs have started popping and cracking like crazy everytime I bend my knees. Just curious if this is normal for this to happen. Tomorrow I will post an update on a talk I had with my os yesterday. So tired tonight but it was very interesting.
 
Hmmm ... not really. You're not really supposed to be aware of them. I'll be interested to hear what was said.
 
I called and left a message for his nurse to call me. When she called back I was on the phone with her for 30 minutes being very honest about needing to speak to the Doctor about the outcome of this surgery and what my options were. I must have caught her on a good day because she was very nice about it and set me an appt for Dec 27th. Normally she has blown me off trying to prescribe any medication she can to shut me up. I will listen to what he has to say but I'm also keeping my appt with the other Doctor. The nurse told me he does revisions and that they are actually finding out that the more of these they do the more they are seeing complications with. In particular..the patellafemoral one. A good friend is going to go with me in case he starts the defensive tactics. She is louder and more than ready to handle him if he does. At this point I would probably just cry. I'm pretty worn out from all this. My OS quite honestly has a good reputation and specializes in knee replacement. Not just Makoplasty. They are going to take another set of x-rays and see what's happening. We shall see what happens.
 
I'm glad you're taking a friend with you. I always had someone with me because I just got so emotional. But honestly I'd be worried about putting your knees in his hands again when he's put you off for so long. I'm glad you're still seeing the other doc.
 
I go back and forth with that also and that arthritis didn't appear overnight. It was there all along I think. Believe me I'm not happy about any of this.
 
I'm going to second what Karri said. I would not want to have that OS ever touch me again. I've been through this and all I can say is that home and his office has been brushing you off saying everything is OK. I would be afraid to believe anything out of his mouth.
 
Out right ask why he thought a PK was the way to go and why he has let you suffer for so long, thinking there was something wrong with you instead of the fact that there's a true medical issue. Write down bullet points so you can just read your questions/thoughts, it may keep you from getting emotional during the appointment.
 
The nurse told me he does revisions and that they are actually finding out that the more of these they do the more they are seeing complications with.
Exactly so! Many surgeons I've met have said the same thing - they gave up doing unis because so many ended up needing to have conversions to TKR. Since 2011 I've actually kept a log of members who have had PKR conversions and so far there 33 members in there. 34 with you!
My OS quite honestly has a good reputation and specializes in knee replacement. Not just Makoplasty.
No surgeons do only Mako. They get patients who need totals as well.
I go back and forth with that also and that arthritis didn't appear overnight. It was there all along I think.
I think I said that way back in this thread. But I do agree with the others - see what he has to say but do not, under any circumstances, allow him to operate on you again.
 
Tried to prescribe me Lyrica when I told him I was having terrible pain. That right there is enough to make me want to physically hurt him. I'm not crazy. I know when I hurt bozo. Oh and it's getting down to 5 below zero here tonight after a ice storm then 4 inches of snow on top of that. Ugh. Not even attempting to walk on that ice so he can blame it on that. Ha.
 
I'm happy that you still kept your appointment with the other OS. Hopefully he can take care of your problem with your knees. Your current OS sounds like he qent to the same my school as my old OS. It's the one where they teach you that you can't accept when you are out of your league. They denied everything and place the blame on the patient. Stay away from him!
 
Good idea to stay off all our ice and snow!!! I'm glad you'll get a chance to have a face to face with this surgeon. The suggestion to write down questions is a good one. It really helps. And I think you do have every right to ask the questions Karri suggested....why he though a PKR was proper and why he let you suffer in pain so long before addressing the problem.
 
I have a question if anyone is online tonight. Every since I have had this bilateral pkr..some nights I have terrible restless leg syndrome. How can I make it stop? It's annoying and painful.
 
I have taken only Tylenol today. They prescribed gabepentin and I took 1. It hurt my stomach so I threw it in the trash. I will read the link in your post. Ugh. Im sorry..I am frustrated tonight from all this and being whiny. I want my life back.
 
They prescribed gabepentin and I took 1. It hurt my stomach so I threw it in the trash.
That was very silly of you. I've never heard of or read anything about gabapentin causing stomach problems. They're one of the few meds that don't! I would rather suppose that you are taking aleve, Advil or diclofenac which DO cause stomach pain!

And you really shouldn't throw drugs in the trash - take them back to your pharmacist so they can be disposed of safely.

Apart from all that, if you are so impatient and feckless as to take one dose of something you've been prescribed to help you and give upon it then I despair of you. Take the darned pills!
 
Oh come on. I am not that silly. I disposed of the medication in my coffee grounds then trashed it. That is the preferred method where I live. I am not taking anything except tylenol now and yes the gabapentin did cause my stomach to cramp. I wrapped my knees in press and seal with a heavy skin cream under it last night and it actually helped so I did get some sleep.
 
Soooooo. Today at my appointment.. I was enlightened by my OS that there are quite a few patients that have had the same patellofemoral knee replacement procedure I did that are not recovering well. There was no good news and I was prescribed Gabapentin (again) which I am not going to take unless I have no other options. This is personal choice due to the side effects. He suggested going in and scoping both knees to clean them up and I declined....thinking to myself why did he not do this when he was in there 6 months ago. He spent the majority of the appointment hanging his head and really not knowing what to say. I will not be seeing him again. It was civil but he knew I was on to his game. I anticipated this and have an appt with another surgeon Dr. Bohn for a second opinion next month and an appt with a Rheumatology Doctor on January 5th to see why my knees are deteriorating so fast with Arthritis. I have to move forward for answers to this nightmare of knee hell..I have no choice.
 
Back
Top Bottom