Guest viewing is limited

Revised PKR to TKR Makoplasty: ongoing pain<

It's unfortunate, but a lot of PKRs fail very early and have to be revised to a total (TKR), simply because they probably should not have been done in the first place.

Sometimes your arthritis progresses more quickly than expected, and affects the other compartment of your knee - or some surgeons don't have the special skill that is needed to do a PKR.

My first knee replacement was a PKR. It lasted for 11 years, which is longer than most. Having had a revision to a TKR, if anyone asks me, I usually advise them to consider having a TKR, not a PKR.
 
I wish I had found all this out prior to the PKR's but its water under the bridge at this point. All I can do is try to fix myself now. :gaah:
 
Oh my......I'm so sorry about this meeting with your surgeon. At least he "fessed up" that the procedure was not having such great results, but that's of little value to you now, is it! Good choice to give him the boot. I know this must be terribly frustrating for you but please know that things can get fixed and you'll be on your way to a real recovery. I'm glad you made that appointment with Dr. Bohn and will be looking forward to hearing what he has to say.
 
At least he had the decency to hang his head. I'm wondering why he's had so many patients with the same issues. Wise decision to decline the clean up, I can't think that would diminish the pain you have. Im curious to hear what Dr. Bohn has to say.
 
I got the feeling that these Makoplasty Patellofemoral replacements are not having the success rate that they are all cracked up to have. I took 2 friends with me into the appointment and believe me...we ask a ton of questions. He really had no answers to anything. I ask him if he would do a repeat x-ray or any other test to see if anything was wrong or had changed and he declined to do anything except write the rx for more gabapentin. He left the room at one point to go view my X-ray that he had taken previous...the one that I posted on here...he came back in and I flat out ask him about the arthritis on that film. He stated that he saw very little arthritis..not enough to cause the pain I am having. I am a little afraid of my appt with Dr. Bohn because I did not disclose the fact that I had these pkr's done so recently. I just stated I had knee pain. Probably will take back up with me to that appt also. HA. I have been researching the gabapentin like crazy online and see that it really can help but DANG it has some nasty side effects and withdrawal when you try to get off it. I had a terrible experience with coming off of tramadol at one point and I swore I would never take anything that caused withdrawal coming off it ever again. I am really up in the air about taking it. OHHH and as far as me trying it previously and it causing stomach pain......My OS's nurse is the one that called that in and it was totally the wrong dosage. Way to high to start off on hence the reason it caused me problems. I don't drink much alcohol at all but occasionally like to have a beer with friends.. I am reading...you are not supposed to drink alcohol at all with this drug or it can cause huge issues. Sounds petty but I am so not a pill popper and the list of side effects is large. (to me at least)
 
I'm not a pill popper either. Before the TKR I had never taken anything stronger than Tylenol, but I learned that if my body needs pain medication I need to take it. You may have had withdrawal from not weaning properly or slowly enough. I was in so much pain I didn't worry about the oxycodone, but around 3-4 weeks post-op I began to forget my late afternoon dose, at that point I went back into surgery for the infection. Post-op I was taking a lower dose of oxycodone, but by 6-7 days later I also realized I didn't need every dose because the surgery wasn't as invasive as the TKR. When I was allowed to bend a month after infection surgery I did begin taking 5 mg of oxycodone, but not consistently, just as needed. I never experinced withdrawal. Be mindful of what your body needs right now and that you can stop but not all at once. Take a look at this link.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...ing-pain-after-a-tkr-and-the-pain-chart.7969/
 
I ended up weaning off the tramadol but it still gave really instense serotonin syndrome for about a month. I learned my lesson the hard way about not researching meds extensively before taking them. I was given Tramadol and it was described to me by the Doctor as a great alternative to the Hydrocodone I was taking and milder. I had no idea it had anti depressant properties also. I still just occasionally take a Hydrocodone if I have to go some place and am hurting really bad. I have had no problem using those just as needed. Has anyone of you used the Gabapentin? Gone off of it after using it? Had relief from pain while taking it? Again also...I appreciate all the support here and awesome info and advice. It's just great that I can come here and SOMEBODY, ANYBODY gets it!! :flwrysmile:
 
Tramadol is a very useful "step down" drug from the heavy-duty narcotics, but you do need to wean off it gradually.
I believe that you need to do the same with Gabapentin.
 
Rheumatology appt cancelled yesterday due to a snow storm in my area. Rescheduled for February 8th. Still on with Dr. Bohn January 30th. No change in pain level or recovery yet at 6 1/2 months post op. I still have not committed to taking the Gabapentin. Norco used on really bad days (like once a week)...Tylenol only on most days. :flabber: Hanging in there.
 
I know this wait must seem like eternity. And now we have SNOW on the ground and bitter cold! You gotta love Kansas City weather! I'm thinkin' about you and hope you can hold on for a few more weeks until you get that appointment. I'm praying Dr. Bohn will agree to see you. Beg, plead....cry if necessary. Hugs to you!!!
 
Just waiting to hear what the new doc has to say. Hopefully he'll take x-rays and have an answer for you.
 
I know this wait must seem like eternity. And now we have SNOW on the ground and bitter cold! You gotta love Kansas City weather! I'm thinkin' about you and hope you can hold on for a few more weeks until you get that appointment. I'm praying Dr. Bohn will agree to see you. Beg, plead....cry if necessary. Hugs to you!!!
I am scared to death I'm going to get in there. He will find out I just had this done in June and kick me out of his office for not disclosing it when I made the appointment. :scary:
 
There has to be some language in the insurance to provide for cases like this. I think I mentioned earlier a parent whose child I taught had the same problem, except her OS refused to acknowledge that she had an infection. No other docs would see her because she had just had surgery. She went to the ER to be seen earlier by the infectious disease doc and was in surgery a day later with a different OS.
 
There has to be some language in the insurance to provide for cases like this. I think I mentioned earlier a parent whose child I taught had the same problem, except her OS refused to acknowledge that she had an infection. No other docs would see her because she had just had surgery. She went to the ER to be seen earlier by the infectious disease doc and was in surgery a day later with a different OS.
You have no idea how close I have came to going to the ER...several times....Just in so much pain that I could not take it anymore. I still am not sure it wouldn't be a bad idea just to see what they would find as snarky as that sounds. My luck they would probably treat me like a drug seeker and dismiss my distress totally. Ugh
 
Actually, that's not a bad idea at all if your pain levels are that bad. If you decide to do that, go to Olathe Medical Center ER because that is where Dr. Bohn practices. Tell them about your pain and that you have a scheduled appointment with him on January 30th, but you were in too much pain to wait. Could work.....I don't think you would be pegged as a pill seeker. And one thing's for sure, you'd get a current xray that Dr. Bohn or one of his partners would review now.
 
I'm not sure why surgeons have this general rule of not seeing someone following surgery with another doctor for 12 months. It's not an insurance thing. But there are surgeons who are pretty strong about it.
 
Fact is I am barely able to walk today with this weather, front, whatever it is. Big pain...I haven't taken anything at all today just because I am SOOOOO sick of taking pills. I have drove all the way to Shawnee Mission Hospital and parked last month...got inside and the wait was 2 hours so I left to go home and cry. Sometimes you just dont know what to do with this situation...it's terrible.
 
I didn't think to ask. Is Olathe Med covered under your insurance? It would need to be to go there. I don't think the ER wait is ever that bad there. But I believe you could call ahead and see. Do you have anyone who could take you? I feel so bad that you are suffering so. I think you need to give in and take something for the pain, though.

I know it works to go to the ER where the doctor you want to see practices. Last year my husband was having circulation issues in his lower legs (blocked arteries) and we had an appointment with a vascular surgeon who practiced at Menorah. When we determined that he was possibly going to lose a couple of toes, we went to the Menorah ER and low and behold, the surgeon we had an appointment with ended up doing stents the next day. So don't rule out going to Olathe as an option.
 
I didn't think to ask. Is Olathe Med covered under your insurance? It would need to be to go there. I don't think the ER wait is ever that bad there. But I believe you could call ahead and see. Do you have anyone who could take you? I feel so bad that you are suffering so. I think you need to give in and take something for the pain, though.

I know it works to go to the ER where the doctor you want to see practices. Last year my husband was having circulation issues in his lower legs (blocked arteries) and we had an appointment with a vascular surgeon who practiced at Menorah. When we determined that he was possibly going to lose a couple of toes, we went to the Menorah ER and low and behold, the surgeon we had an appointment with ended up doing stents the next day. So don't rule out going to Olathe as an option.
I just went on BCBS and looked...Dr. Bohn is listed as in network with my insurance but Olathe Medical Center is not...From looking on Google...I am thinking he has privileges at Shawnee Mission Medical Center also.
 
Back
Top Bottom