Guest viewing is limited

Revised PKR to TKR Makoplasty: ongoing pain<

@PkrJune15... It does sound like you're making good progress. I'm being reminded how I need to slow way down with a bit of an ODIC response over the last 2 weeks. I hope all is going well for you!?

I used gabapentin for about 6 months a few years ago with my back issues, and though it helped with my leg and foot pain (from the back) my struggle with it ended up being mood swings, bad enough that I tapered off of it. I don't remember the dosage I was on, but that might have been my problem back then.

Our bodies all react so differently to the different medications, I guess it's just like how different our TKR recovery is! I wish you luck sorting it out.
 
Memory loss is one that comes to mind. I did however start taking it this morning to see if it might help. Starting 300mg 3 times a day. I know this revision takes forever to heal but I'm losing hope almost 4 months post op. It feels like the pain is getting worse. Like I'm going backwards. I was in less pain a month ago. Is this even possible?This is really discouraging.
 
((((((HUGS)))))) back at ya, June! :roseshwr:

Your strength is amazing and I know it's still tough for you.

Taking 900mg per day is a relatively low dose of gabapentin and you should be fine with that. In case no one told you, it can take up to 3 weeks for it to make a difference, so keep that in mind. When you're first starting it, you might notice some drowsiness, but that should improve as your body adjusts to the medication.
 
I slept last night better then I had in a long time and I can already tell it's reducing the pain. Probably 40%. Pretty good for just starting it. I have a question. What type of Doctor prescribes this if you have to stay on it long term? I'm taking the gabapentin that my first surgeon gave me to shut me up about pain. Do I ask my primary care doctor or my current surgeon? I find it odd that I have had 2 nerve damage tests. Both came back normal...yet a medication that's used for neuropathy is working. Side note..I am a type 2 diabetic and take insulin daily. Hard not to maybe connect the dots here.?.
 
Nerve problems can be one of the most difficult things to properly diagnose, so don't be surprised that you didn't have anyone figure this out before now. You may never know all the "whys" behind the pain you're having. The hope will be that a period of time with the gabapentin will allow things to settle down and you won't have to take it forever. Hold on to that hope!

You can get refills from your GP normally. I'd contact the office and ask that question. Any doctor can prescribe it. Your surgeon could, but it would be better to transition to your GP to make refilling easier. I've seen it prescribed by pain clinics too, but you don't want to mess with that. Your GP will be the easiest option. Although gabapentin is sometimes used for diabetic foot pain, I'm not sure I'd say there is a connection between your diabetes and the nerve pain you're having after your revisions. I think you're just one of the "lucky" ones who have this post-op pain. And that's why I'm hoping that it will be temporary.
 
:thumb: So glad to help. I'm hoping you'll have a big smile on your face soon and two knees that actually work! Hang in there.....
 
Back
Top Bottom