Revised PKR to TKR Makoplasty: ongoing pain<

Yes I have stopped all PT quite a while ago. I have contacted several surgeons and in my state of Kansas they will give no second opinions until you are 1 year post op unfortunately. I can't live the rest of my life like this. I can't get back to work or function even half way normally. There has to be something going on with my knees that a replacement did not fix???
 
There has to be an OS that will give you a second opinion before you're a year out. My second OS I met 5 months post op my original TKR. I then knew what needed to be done and I was able to schedule my revision 8 after my original surgery. He would have done it sooner bug I had to make arrangements with my job first.
 
I have called several....they tell me that is protocol and that they will not see me until 1 year PO.
 
I have a friend that suffered through this same protocol, and she has an infection her OS refused to treat (not that I'm saying you have an infection). I don't think it was a year, I believe she had to wait 9 months or 9 weeks, not sure. So, she chose the new OS she wanted to treat her, found out when he was at the hospital and she went to the ER that day. My friend saw the revision specialist and her operated on her the next day.

What about going to you GP? Could he bypass the protocol? @Jamie is in Kansas, maybe she can help with this issue.
 
My GP is strictly family practice. I am really stuck in a bad spot. My os wants to refer me to a pain management doctor and just turn his head which makes me livid. I don't know what to do anymore.
 
I was wondering if your GP could refer you, bypassing protocol. Is this a health insurance thing?
 
Actually..I think it's a "I don't want to step on another Doctors toes" thing...the whole thing is irritating as in my opinion the os needs to figure out why I'm in so much pain 6 months po. ugh
 
He may not be qualified to figure it out. That's why a revision specialist is important. @newlybionic found a revision doc who would see her not long after her original TKR. Do you have a recent set of x-rays? If not can you get them from your OS? They could probably e-mail them to you and Josephine could take a look at them here on BoneSmart.
 
It is a bad position to be in with your OS not listening to you. That happened to me too. I had to go an hour away from home to see him. I choose a large orthopedic group where each OS specialized in one area. You can try calling a large group or one associated with a large medical center. They are out there.
 
  • Creative
Reactions: JEA
I have just pics of my x-rays that they printed me. My os is an hour away also. There are not many doctors that do the makoplasty in my area. I have called several large orthopedic groups and they are all telling me the same thing. Truly I have attempted this route
 
I found x-rays you uploaded on post #13. Let's see if @Josephine is able to tell anything from those x-rays. Have you been elevating and icing since quitting PT?
 
Yes I have tried every imanagable thing you can think of to elevate this pain. Tons of ibuprofen, tylenol, diclofenic gel, Epsom salts soaks, heat, ice, elevation, lidocaine cream, aspirin cream. Not all at the same time. The only time I can leave the house and even make it through the grocery store is when I take a hydrocodone and I do not like taking them. I am stuck at home most of the time.
 
Hi, I'm so sorry to hear you're having these problems. It's very frustrating when a surgeon we depend on to take good care of us does just the opposite when things aren't going well. You and I are practically neighbors! I live in Olathe. I also think you need to talk with someone else. It appears that Makoplasty is only done at Liberty Hospital....is that where you went? I'd like to know what ortho groups you talked to about second opinions. I may be able to help you find someone to talk with.
 
Oh Jamie ..your a breath of fresh air. Yes I had it done at Liberty Hospital. Dr. Joshua Niemann. I will have to look online at the ones I called. might take me a little while today
 
Overland Park Orthopedics was one of them I talked too. Sports medicine clinics at KU and Shawnee Mission Hospitals also. I am Blue Cross Blue Shield blue select which is going to limit me also as to who I can see.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely recommend that you stay away from doctors who specialize in sports medicine. They tend not to be the best for problems with knee replacements....totally different focus to their practice normally.

The number one option I would recommend for you is Dr. Danny Gurba at Dickson-Diveley Orthopedics. They have an office at Kansas City Orthopedic Institute on College Blvd between Roe and State Line. Another possibility is Dr. Michael Latteier at the Kansas City Bone and Joint Clinic at 435 Highway and Nall Ave. However, I'm not sure either of them are in your insurance network. I found a 2016 booklet of providers and didn't see either of their names. But it would be worth a call to their offices anyway. If you must stick with your providers, I have heard good things about Dr. Bohn who I believe works out of Olathe at Johnson County Orthopedics. Does your insurance allow you to go out of network at all? Sometimes they do....it's just more of a copay for you. It's important to get the right doctor and, it would be helpful if you were able to use this option to see one of the first two I listed here.

When you talk to their offices, it is important how you state your case. Don't start off saying that you just had the Makoplasty. Talk instead about your knee pain and complete disability. When you get to the point of telling them you had a partial knee replacement, stress that your surgeon has basically abandoned you and that your are completely not able to function now. If the scheduler won't make an appointment, ask who you could talk to about your situation because it is not possible for you to go on like this for another 6 months.

The bad thing about partial knee replacements is that they sometimes don't work. It is not uncommon for a person to have arthritis in more than one knee compartment or the arthritis can develop shortly after the PKR in new areas. While we do have successful PKR members, we also have many who must have a conversion to a full TKR in less than a year. Just don't get discouraged! We'll work to try and get you some help. Promise.
 
Oh boy. That took the wind out of my sail. I can't go out of network at all. I will check the ones you listed. Thank you so much. Dr Bohn is the only one in my network that you listed.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I called and made an appt with Dr. Bohn. It's not until Jan 31st because this was his first available. I did not elaborate with the girl why I was making the appt. I just stated bilateral knee pain. I could have won a academy award for that performance. Now when I get in there and he figures out I just had Mako....he is probably going to be mad. lol
 
Did they ask if you wanted to be called in the case of a cancellation? Sometimes you can get in earlier with that option.
 
Back
Top Bottom