Guest viewing is limited

Revised PKR to TKR Makoplasty: ongoing pain<

Good for you. You did it just right. I have not met him, so I don't know for sure what he'll be like. But I have heard good things about his knee work so I don't hesitate to refer people to him. That practice has a doctor or two I would not recommend so don't move around to others there. I'll be anxious to see what you think once you meet with him. If necessary pull out all the stops to get him to help you. That means pleading and tears if necessary. I hope you don't have to do any of that, but sometimes that "good old boy" doctor network thing enters into the picture. He has to understand that you're literally abandoned by your first surgeon. I suggest using crutches when you go in.

The important thing to note when you see him will be the xrays. You want to know if there are any signs at all of possible arthritis in the areas not impacted by the Mako surgery. If he says they look good with plenty of cartilage, then push to see if he can explain why you have such horrible pain. There can be soft tissue problems as well, but they can be much more difficult to identify and resolve.

If you don't "click" with Dr. Bohn, let me know and I'll go through the list of all the available surgeons in your network to see if I can find another that may help.

During your next Open Season, you might want to consider a different Blue Cross plan that allows you more choices of doctors. They have a variety of levels. I understand if cost is a factor, though. The more options, the higher the cost usually. I have Blue Cross KC too, but my plan is the Federal Government one, so I'm not that familiar with the ones you might compare with Blue Select.
 
I have tried every imanagable thing you can think of to elevate this pain. Tons of ibuprofen, tylenol, diclofenic gel, Epsom salts soaks, heat, ice, elevation, lidocaine cream, aspirin cream. Not all at the same time. The only time I can leave the house and even make it through the grocery store is when I take a hydrocodone and I do not like taking them. I am stuck at home most of the time.
I'm not surprised you are in pain! I see significant arthritic changes in both knees. The red arrows are pointing to areas of whitening which indicate damage/disease and the yellow arrow points to an actual loss of cartilage. Do please remember that I am only suggesting. I cannot make a definitive diagnosis online but I'm pretty sure of it.

[Bonesmart.org] Makoplasty: ongoing pain<


If necessary pull out all the stops to get him to help you. That means pleading and tears if necessary. I hope you don't have to do any of that, but sometimes that "good old boy" doctor network thing enters into the picture. He has to understand that you're literally abandoned by your first surgeon. I suggest using crutches when you go in.
Done well you should get an Oscar for it!
 
I'm sorry..It took me a few minutes to stop crying and focus. First off...Thank You Josephine for giving me the validation that I have been looking for. I knew something was wrong but for some reason nobody wants to let me in on it. Secondly....If this is truly what is going on....what are my next steps..(if you know).
 
I understand how you could be crying after hearing the news about what your x-rays are showing. I reacted in the same way especially because someone can actually see why I was in so much pain. I broke down in tears with my revision OS thanking him for seeing my problem. I would think at this point you will need to have a revision where you will get a total knee replacement. I know that's hard to hear but I can tell you that except for the first couple of days my recovery was easier than with the original TKR. I followed the Bonesmart mantras and have done very well. Prior to my revision I was crying in pain every day and could only be my knee to 95 degrees. Now it bends to 130. Hang in there, we will be with you along your trip.
 
It just seems never ending and the more I have done the worse it gets. I actually am just really depressed about the whole thing and the pain just makes that worse. I figured a total would have to be done on both knees now. I have a question....Is there any opinion on Going with Makoplasty again or just doing the old fashioned TKR?
 
Since, it looks like other areas that Josephine pointed out that show some arthritic changes that area of your knee is also involved which would mean those areas would need to be taken care of also. I truly get feeling depressed at this point. It was only with the moral support of the people here that I was able to see my way through getting my knee fixed correctly. You can go to the recovery side and click on any of the members with a yellow banner indicating they had a revision to follow their stories.
 
Is there any opinion on Going with Makoplasty again or just doing the old fashioned TKR?
You're not the first and you won't be the last person who has to have a makoplasty or other type of partial knee replacement (PKR) redone because the osteoarthritis has progressed. Unfortunately, the osteoarthritis has a nasty tendency to do that.

I would go straight to a TKR - and they're not "old fashioned" at all. They are one of the most common operations, world-wide, and they have a very high success rate.

I had a PKR that had to be revised to a TKR five years ago. Although I was apprehensive, everything went well. It was no more painful than my original operation and my recovery was no more difficult.

Best wishes in your search for a revision expert surgeon who can fix this for you. I'll be looking out, to see how you get on. :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
My question was.. is there a difference between the 2 surgeries. Old fashioned was a figure of speech compared to Makoplasty. I have both knees that have to be revised so I am just trying to become as informed as possible. Thanks for your concern and encouragement.
 
Total means what it says - total excision of the joint. Like so

[Bonesmart.org] Makoplasty: ongoing pain<
[Bonesmart.org] Makoplasty: ongoing pain<


Whereas mosaicplasty is more of a resurfacing.
 
I can imagine this is a hard thing to hear and digest, now you have some time to think and research if you want.
 
Considering this has been going on for 2 years and with every surgery I think I am making the right decision to correct the problem...Everything has failed..I am pretty down...and broke. :sad:
 
Yes, it's time to stop having lesser surgeries that are just a temporary fix, and move on to a TKR.
 
Yes...just wish I would have done that to begin with...Feel kind of stupid for making all these bad decisions on these failed surgeries. I have no choice but to move forward now.
 
Don't blame yourself for your prior failed surgeries. You were given information by an OS in order to choose those surgeries. The next surgery should be the last you'll need.
 
We need to trust our physicians to help us make the best decision. Please don't feel this is your fault.
 
I agree with the others. None of this is your fault. You just did as you were advised - and your surgeons are supposed to know more than you do.

There's every chance that you knees can be fixed and that, after a period of recovery, you will move forward to a much better quality of life than you have now.
 
I'm so sorry that it appears you do have additional arthritis in your knees. But I'm glad you'll be armed with this information when you see Dr. Bohn in January. Don't indicate that you suspect this is the case and see what he tells you from your xrays. Then if he should happen to say everything looks good (though I can't imagine he will), you can ask him about the areas Jo pointed out on these images. They should appear pretty much the same on any new xrays taken (I'm sure he'll want to do his own images). How he deals with all this will tell you whether he's the right surgeon for you or not. And, remember.....if you want to keep looking at others on your list of doctors, I'll help you select one or more additional ones to see.

What you absolutely, positively don't what to do is to go back to your previous surgeon. This person has treated you badly and should have been able to diagnose any additional arthritis in your knees. My guess is that, as a Mako specialist, he didn't have the expertise to do anything else (or maybe not the desire). At any rate, it's good you'll be in better hands going forward.

Is it the computer aspect of the Makoplasty surgery that you think may be better than an "old fashioned" TKR? If so, some surgeons do use computer aided technology with their TKR's. But frankly a skilled surgeon can do a fabulous job without it. I've attended a number of conferences where this very topic has been discussed and there are so many aspects of any knee replacement that must be done without computer assistance and whether or not your surgeon uses it does not determine your success with a TKR. It always boils down to the surgeon's skill.

You're going to be okay. We're going to help you get through all this. I think your sadness and worry will be much improved once you talk with the surgeon who is going to get you out of this mess. I sincerely hope that Dr. Bohn is going to be that person so you can get going. After all, you have a life you need to be living!! (((HUGS))) to you!
 
Back
Top Bottom