Guest viewing is limited

Revised PKR to TKR Makoplasty: ongoing pain<

I also read your updates. So sorry you’re still going through all this! You have so much pluck, and keep trying to find a solution to your pain, I just hope one of these days medical science comes through for you. :praying:
 
I just read back through the second half of your thread, so that answered my question about revisions.

Have you ever been tested for an allergy to the implants?
 
They can't find anything physically wrong on any test that I have had done so in their minds converting to a tkr is not an option. Their is 100% something wrong. I just cant show it through tests. You don't go in for bilateral pkrs and come out in the condition I'm in. It's truly been a nightmare as I was really active before surgery..just had knee pain. The diagnosis of crps is still questionable to me. I'm not sure that wasn't a label I was given because they don't know what's wrong.
 
June, I too always look for your posts. So even though things still aren't a lot better for you, I'm happy to hear from you. God bless you for all your strength to keep fighting. It's important as I truly believe that there is an answer out there somewhere for you. Sending you big ((((HUGS)))).
 
I think an allergy test is definitely called for. For all 4 of your implants to cause such pain, there has to be a related reason. It seems more and more we're hearing of people having metal allergies. I think it might be a good idea for everyone to get tested ahead of time. Of course, the insurance companies wouldn't like that one bit!
 
I wonder often how your doing and so wish you could find a dr who could help you.
 
June, I know you said you had a blood allergy test. Do you know if it was the full profile from a lab in Chicago? They are the "gold standard" for this test. If by chance the test was not the one done by this lab, it might be something to pursue. The test is expensive (about $573) and not usually covered by insurance, but it is the definitive one for allergies. Here is a link to the web site. The correct test is the Orthopedic Panel 2.

https://www.orthopedicanalysis.com/metal-sensitivity

I have asked our CEO if he can possibly make any recommendations for someone for you to see in the Kansas/Missouri area. He has a tremendous network of surgeons and other providers that he's worked with over the years and maybe he will have some ideas. What is your insurance these days? I know at one time that was a limiting factor for you. There has to be an answer!
 
Positive results from the Medtronic Intellis spinal cord stimulator trial. I will say it hurt my back getting that thing put in but I got about 50% pain relief for the 7 days it was in. I'm moving forward with the permanent implant on April 17th. 50% is better then nothing. I'll take it.
 
Wore this on my back for 7 days. Couldn't bath or shower. It was miserable but worth it. With the opiate crisis such a high priority..I have to do something for the pain before I can no longer get any pain medication.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Makoplasty: ongoing pain<
    20180304_072739.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 242
It that like a great big TENS? It does look uncomfortable, but at least you have gotten relief from it and you have a better future to look forward to.
 
No, it's much more involved then a tens. It's not an easy decision to make but I really have no choice if I want any quality of life.
 
Well..after 3 years and 5 months of ongoing pain from a bilateral patellofemoral partial knee replacement, numerous 2nd opinions, numerous tests that showed inconclusive results..I found a surgeon that has taken a special interest in my case. On 11/25/2019 I underwent a revision to a total knee replacement on my left knee. If this is successful in eliminating the pain..I will advance to having the right one done next. I am currently recovering at home and hoping for the best outcome I can possibly have. I received tons of support from this forum when I was flat out of hope. I would like to thank all those who participated in that. I'm looking forward to hopefully having a pain free future.
 
Congratulations on your new LTKR and a pain-free future in sight!

The following are our basic guidelines and should help get you started. As you read more on other members recovery threads, you’ll get a better perspective of what to expect and what not to do, especially regarding PT.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Welcome back and best wishes for total success!
 
I had my surgery a few days after you. Reading your earlier posts is pretty scary, but a good education. Hoping for better outcomes for you! Good luck!
 
Have read your past posts - you certainly have had a tough time - hopefully this time round you have "nailed it" if anyone deserves it you do.
Take time to heal, plenty of rest, ice and elevation. Wishing you a better recovery xx
 
It reads like a horror story. It's definitely been a rough one. 13 days post op on this revision. Totally different recovery so far. Much stiffer and swollen then first go round. Doing everything I can to be successful. pt coming Monday through Friday. ouch. Had big bruising this time. Bandage off Tuesday at 2 week follow up. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Makoplasty: ongoing pain<
    20191206_165329.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 157
  • [Bonesmart.org] Makoplasty: ongoing pain<
    20191202_170147.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 155
Back
Top Bottom