Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Revision TKR Makoplasty: ongoing pain<

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
:unsure: That looks so sore - have you at least got something for the bruising - poor you unfortunately I cannot recommend anything as not sure we have the same ointment as you here we would you bepanthene this is good for bruising.

Helizabug

graduate
Country
United States United States
Arnica is supposed to be good for bruising and sore muscles too. Not sure it works, but some people swear by it. It’s easy to find in the U.S. at a place like Whole Foods.

sistersinhim

Country
pt coming Monday through Friday.
Oh my, that is way too much therapy. You don't need pt right now, you need to heal. If your therapist just does simple movements, then it's fine. Don't let anyone push or pull your knee. That is counterproductive. Rest, ice and elevating is the prescription for the next few weeks or so.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@PkrJune15 ......I'm so sorry that I'm just now seeing your update that you were able to finally get a conversion to a full TKR. How is your recovery going? Sending you lots of hugs and strength. You have been through more than a person should have to endure.

OP
OP
PkrJune15

PkrJune15

Country
@PkrJune15 ......I'm so sorry that I'm just now seeing your update that you were able to finally get a conversion to a full TKR. How is your recovery going? Sending you lots of hugs and strength. You have been through more than a person should have to endure.
I'm 13 weeks post op left revision to total. It's still sore and has been rough rehabbing it due to the other knee still being in so much pain and the muscle wasting from being so sedentary.
I'm hanging in there after almost 4 years of this nightmare. Surgeon says all looks great and should have been tkrs to begin with..not pkrs. Remaining hopeful for a good outcome. If the outcome is good I will have the right one done.

Attachments

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Can you tell me which surgeon you're seeing now? You know, back when I was trying to help you find someone, I was looking for a surgeon who would realize you needed to have the joints converted to full TKRs. I couldn't believe that was so difficult and I'm so sorry that you had to go through years of agony. I want your current surgeon on my "good guy" list!

June, I'm so happy to know that you may have a light at the end of this very dark tunnel. Please continue to post. I'll be watching your thread and progress.

OP
OP
PkrJune15

PkrJune15

Country
His name is Dr. Timothy Robert's with Sano Orthopedics. He and everyone in that office have been nothing but professional and caring. I ran across him by accident while having a bone density test. The tech that was preforming it highly recommended that group when he saw what I was going through. I sure wish this revision knee would start feeling better though. 13 po and still have pain and swelling. Low on patience. lol

Attachments

Macknit

graduate
Country
I'm having one of those low patience days and i'm at 5.75 months!!!! I've been upping my exercise (Just walking distance). Today, both energy and pain level is higher than it has been in a while. It's the classic case of having overdone it!!

I'd say your journey has been far more extensive than mine, so just digging deep for the patience isn't always the answer. Distraction has worked for me in the past. I've had quite a few surgeries and spinal injections, etc. My spinal surgery before the TKR, really helped with many of my pain issues. Are you still using the SCS, however it isn't helping with the knee pain? It is helping with back pain?

I'm just hoping to encourage you to hang in there! 13 weeks po is not that far in this recovery and we all can sympathize with your need for patience. Positive thoughts and prayers are being sent your way!

OP
OP
PkrJune15

PkrJune15

Country
I did 2 trials with the scs and opted not to get it permanently. It didn't provide enough pain relief and I had no answers at that point. I know 13 weeks po is early..I'm just frustrated after 4 years of this nightmare. We have s weather pain alert today also. Could be a contributing factor. Ice is on.

Macknit

graduate
Country
Oh that's unfortunate with the scs!! I must have missed that you didn't go permanent when I skimmed your thread...

I've read several threads that talk about the weather contributing to pain levels. I need to pay closer attention to that...we have very fluctuating weather patterns here.

Helizabug

graduate
Country
I wonder if your long, long battle with this pain has made your body even more reactive to pain, overall. You’ve been through a slow-motion trauma. So, maybe the pain of this particular recovery isn’t an indicator of problems with this surgery, but rather an indicator of how much you’ve been through to get here.

I hope this surgery does the trick, and the next one is easier.

Macknit

graduate
Country
I agree with @Helizabug our body retains trauma of all types, including anesthetized surgeries and long term pain.

I hope you can continue to recover and improve. Have you tried listening to music also? That is another study one of my medical family members was citing to me in this recovery...I only have my study of n=1 for myself, but it has been helpful!!

OP
OP
PkrJune15

PkrJune15

Country
Yes, I had 4 years of listening to music because if I wouldn't have..I would have lost my mind being that I was close to being sedentary.

OP
OP
PkrJune15

PkrJune15

Country
Follow up appt with surgeon today. He is 100% pleased with my progress and dismissed me from pt. Everything I'm experiencing from it being hot and sore to really stiff when I first stand up is normal for all my knee has been though. Next appt in 3 months to check progress and schedule the other knee revision.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
I can see you still have some swelling in the revised knee, so I'm not surprised that you're still experiencing some pain and discomfort. But how wonderful to hear that you're finally making some forward progress! June, I know all you've been through and I'm so happy you finally found someone to help you.

Keep the ice on and go slow with your activities and exercise. You have a lot of ground to cover with recovery, as I'm sure you're aware. Being as immobilized as you've been, it's going to take a while.

I'll be looking forward to more updates.

Julia1911

Country
My brother has severe arthritis as well and so much erosion he was given the gabapentin. In his case I believe it might desensitize the nerves. So much and constant pain will wear you down healthwise and mentally.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
PkrJune15

PkrJune15

Country
I was given gabapentin in the hospital after my revision and took it after I was released for a week. It did help with the pain. I'm a little scared of the long term use of this drug as far as side effects. It could be worth it though.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@PkrJune15 .... what side effects are concerning you with gabapentin? Did you experience any of the side effects when you took it after your revision? It can be very helpful in a lot of cases. Just because you took it for a while until you get your knees normalized again wouldn't mean you'd need it forever. I don't know what dose you took after your surgery, but it is best to take the lowest possible amount to get the job done. The risk for any side effects are less at the lower doses.

Top Bottom