Guest viewing is limited

Revised PKR to TKR Makoplasty: ongoing pain<

However you came by this guy, I’m glad you did. Just that he states he’ll take transfer patients is HUGE! I had never met my revision dr, he was the one waiting for me at the hospital. My bff though had seen him and when she heard that was who was doing the surgery she said I would love him.
 
And here I am again with my ongoing knee saga. All tests came back normal. No infection in fluid drawn off and tested. I have been doing at home PT again to strengthen my very weak quads and hamstrings. I have fallen a few times in the last year and I had to do something before I break any bones. It has seemed to help strenthen but it is not helping with the knee pain. The surgeon that I went to this last time is puzzled and does not know what to do. He has referred me back to pain management. I had the highest hope that he would help me and he has bailed. The only option I have left is to live with the pain taking pain meds daily or opting for a trial spinal cord stimulator. This all is still such an unbelievable nightmare to me. Has anyone had any experience with these Spinal stimulators for knee pain after replacement? Long shot I know but I can't just give up. Trying to hang in there but it's truly hard.
 
June, I somehow missed your updates until today, but have been wondering over the months since I saw you how you were doing now. I am so very sorry to see that no one has been able to successfully address what may be going on with your knees. As I was reading along, I had high hopes for this latest surgeon.

When you were talking with him, did he flat out refuse to revise your PKRs to full TKRs? Was that discussed at all? I have heard of some surgeons (at conferences, not anyone I know in Kansas City), who did the revisions based on the fact that the patient was in pain, even though the knees looked just fine.

Does your insurance allow you to see any doctors out of the Kansas City area? As I remember from our past discussions, you were fairly limited by your network. There is a surgeon in the Dallas area who handles very difficult cases....Dr. Maale....but I don't know if you would be able to see him.
 
I don't have any out of network benefits. My insurance is getting ready to change possibly to medicade Jan 1st because I just have exhausted all financial means. This surgeon did not mention revision to totals and it was not discussed. I feel like I have basically went down every road I can to find answers and I am not stuck with it. :bawl:
 
You could always go back to this last surgeon and ask about the possibility of him doing a revision to TKRs. I would have to look into Medicaid rules in Kansas, but it's possible they are fairly restrictive as well. To me, it would be worth a try for a revision with this surgeon while your current insurance still includes him.
 
We have another PKR here on BS who’s had on going pain and no one can find the cause. I’ll try to remember who that is. She had her PKR on workman’s, but the OS can’t help her with the pain any longer. I think Jamie’s suggestion is worth a try, a revision to a TKR might relieve the pain and give you back your life.
 
@KarriB Are you thinking of 2HappyKnees? I read through her thread recently. I think there was another one, too, just the other day.
 
I lose track of what I have told you all and for that I apologize. I went yesterday for the psycho eval for a spinal stimulator because I have no other options. The surgeons I have seen will not do further surgery for fear they will make the pain worse. Everything is stable and out of all the tests I have had..none show any problems they can identify. I feel like a crazy person. I applied for disability 05/2015 after my first arthroscopic surgery ended in more pain then I started with. After 2 1/2 years of increasing pain and no answers I finally have a hearing date. I have sat and watched people get approved for disability for much less then I have been through so it has been quite discouraging waiting this amount of time. I do have an attorney. Right now I am googling as hard as I can any info on spinal stimulators and knee pain. This whole procedure is rather scary to me but I will do anything to get out of pain and off pain meds.
 
I want to say thank you to all here who have encouraged me during this nightmare. I have barely held on to my sanity by a thread with the ongoing intense pain daily. It truly changes you. There are many awesome outcomes with knee replacement but there are also some that are not so awesome. Thank you for not forgetting me.
 
:console2::console2::console2:

I hope you find an answer. I’m so sorry you are going through this.
 
I'm so sorry too, June. You're not crazy....chronic pain wears on every fiber of a person's being. You are so strong to have dealt with all this. I hope you finally get some relief. Please know we will always be here for you if you need someone to talk to.
 
Update to the never ending knee pain saga. I completed the trial of the spinal stimulator. I actually go in tomorrow to have the temporary leads pulled out and to schedule the permanent implant. It reduced the pain by at least 50%. I choose to go with one that has a external battery because I just don't feel like I want a battery implanted in my body. The one I am going with is by a company called Stimwave.com. It really is the only choice I have to be able to get out of bed daily and half way function. Also reducing the pain medication is a huge goal. I am not on that heavy duty doses but still want to get off of them. The trial was more invasive then I thought and caused pretty bad back pain but that will heal. Looking forward to at least a little better quality of life soon.
 
I hope this helps with your pain levels and your able to get about easier.
 
@PkrJune15. I just read your story and am wondering how you are doing. I also have had a terrible time and believe I am dealing with CRPS. Would love to hear from you.
 
My how things change on a daily basis. I don't post much because I figure people are tired of hearing what terrible pain I'm in. I am scheduled to have a second trial done with the Medtronic intellis spinal cord stimulator on March 1st. The Doctor thinks I will get better pain relief with this one and I am hoping so also. As much as I don't want to do another trial.. I will. Still fighting to get my life back even 50%. 70% of my day is still spent in bed because any standing or walking causes terrible pain after about 30 minutes. I've pretty much have accepted this nightmare as what I've been dealt. I refuse to lay down and die. Muscle wasting is significant and I will have a very long road ahead of me if I ever get out of pain. I still appreciate anyone who is following my battle with this. ❤
 
@PkrJune15 Wow, I'm so sorry you're going through all that. I hope you will soon recover from all this. Sending prayers for healing!
 
I read your updates! I’m so sorry you are still in so much pain. :console2:

At 11 months I thought I’d feel better than I do with my Patellofemoral.

It’s been a while since I read your previous posts, so I don’t remember, but have they talked about converting you to a total?
 
Back
Top Bottom