Guest viewing is limited

Revised PKR to TKR Makoplasty: ongoing pain<

Still suffering . Still searching for answers. Third opinion is June 26th with Dr. KOTWAL.
[Bonesmart.org] Makoplasty: ongoing pain<
 
Wow, started from the very beginning of your thread, what a mess...I too had PKR just this past July, I begged my surgeon that if he suspects any further arthritis please do a TKR, but he just laughed me off...I swear if I end up anywhere near what you are going through, I will be going after my surgeon...why put people through this...I just don't get it...please, where are you now at with the new doctor, Dr. Kotwal
..the saga continues, sheesh!
 
Still in the exact amount of pain. Seeing a pain management Doctor now that really doesn't help. 3rd opinion with Dr. KOTWAL took me a week to recover from. He was the first to finally come clean about the oh so awesome patellofemoral replacement bilatterally I had done. He told me it has a 30% failure rate due to ongoing pain. There is nothing I can do but manage the pain. A revision to a total is not a good option at this point. That appointment was eye opening to say the least. He said he will not even do this particular surgery on his patients. I have an attorney now.
 
He was the first to finally come clean about the oh so awesome patellofemoral replacement bilatterally I had done. He told me it has a 30% failure rate due to ongoing pain. There is nothing I can do but manage the pain. A revision to a total is not a good option at this point.
I don't see why a revision to a TKR can't be an option. The patello-femoral replacements obviously are not acceptable.

I hesitate to suggest yet another opinion, but I think you need a surgeon who is willing to do that the revisions. But there is still the question of whether or not you have CRPS - in which case a revision could still leave you with the pain.
I'm sorry you're going through all this.
 
I'm sorry to hear you are still having problems. I hope you can find a way to finally be rid of your pain.:friends:
 
I am gathering from his statements during the appt that the damage has been done and doing tkr would not guarantee pain relief. He also said he was afraid of infection after a revision would cause me to lose my legs. I'm not against another opinion. The news couldn't be any worse then this guy gave me. He was a revision specialist supposedly.
 
He also said he was afraid of infection after a revision would cause me to lose my legs.
Wow, that is the very, very worst scenario and incredibly unlikely to happen. We've had lots of people on here who have had knee infections and not one of them has had to lose a leg.
 
Well this totally depressing to hear to say the least...I had to fight so hard to get anyone to take my knee seriously because I am already disabled, the first knee surgeon sent me to physio before even meeting me, said I probably do not need surgery...physio took X-ray and said nobody can do anything, just deal with it, I fought him hard to point he gave up and sent me onward to the knee surgeon, knee surgeon said he does not do TKR and scope not needed because so much bone dying from what he could see from X-ray, gave me cortisone shot and sent me to another knee surgeon...new surgeon said I just needed a scope done, waited three months, he did scope, said, sorry, that probably did not help, call if still sore...within a week I was calling, so now he said PKR, I asked why not TKR, said I don't need it...at this point my total knee and calf ankle thigh was swollen, I limped with my knee always blowing out to side to point I could barely walk or stand...if it ends up that this PKR has been a waste of time...my husband lost his job because of this year and a half gong show and needing him home, I won't just sit back about this, it is so unfair, like why do this to us, if PKR are so useless why put us through this hell, this s just so unfair, nice to know these surgeons are making thousands off our pain and suffering
 
Update: I have finally found a surgeon in my area with very impressive credentials that took one look at me at the appt and said there is 100% something wrong. I have had blood tests that show my white blood cell count elevated and also some others elevated that tipped him off that I could have either an infection or am allergic to the knee implants. I have been to 3 other surgeons that turned me away after xrays showed everything was stable. They would not help me any further after that so finding this one was a gift from God. I am confined to my home and mostly sit or lay down due to the pain. I have fallen 4 times now due to muscle wasting from being inactive. He immediately ordered home physical therapy to try to help with my deteriorating quads and hamstrings. They come twice a week. I have to do the pt sitting down or laying down because the pressure of standing causes big big pain. I go tomorrow to have the fluid drawn off those swollen humps on my knees. It will be sent to the lab to check for infection. He promised me he would not give up on me until we found an answer to this nightmare. He is a revision specialist with a focus on difficult cases. I barely have any hope left after dealing with this ongoing terrible pain for way over a year. I went to a pain management Doctor who was trying to talk me into a spinal stimulator right before I found this surgeon. The surgeon strongly disagreed with this option and opted to find out what the problem is instead. This pain management Doctor has tried everything to put a bandaid on the real issue and none of it has helped. I have enough steroids in my system to choke a horse. Enough to push me into being put in insulin for my diabetes that was diet controlled previously. You can't imagine how worn out I am from trying to fight this pain daily. Still praying for answers and have not given up yet.
 
What great news about finding a surgeon who will work to find out what's going on with your knees! I'm so sorry you're having to go through so much pain right now. Praying with you that this time they find the problem and can give you relief. :praying:
 
I’m praying too you get a resolution for your continued pain! I’m so sorry your replacement went this direction.

I also had a Patellofemoral replacement, mine was done last March. It’s been a long slow recovery and I still have many limitations. It is so distressing to read that partials don’t always last very long. I sure do not want to go through this recovery again, ever, to be honest!

@Neveragain I agree, why put us partials through this long difficult recovery only to do it again in the future. I don’t remember being told this would not last the rest of my life like a total would.

Hugs to both of you!
 
This has effected my life so much that I can't even begin to describe it. Everything stopped. I have lost my job, my home, my retirement money and any quality of life. The pain I have is so intense I have had suicidal thoughts and also entertained amputation. Doctor after doctor telling me everything looks stable..go to a pain management clinic and live with it. Then being misdiagnosed with CRPS etc etc and given numerous treatments and medications that don't even help. Constantly beating myself up for even ever having it done...much less bilaterally. I do nothing but cry daily at what I have lost and what I have to look forward too. I go nowhere and am barely functioning on my own. Nightmares of being put in a nursing home and having my rights taken away plague me at night. I am praying with all my heart that this Surgeon will be able to get to the bottom of the issue. I would not wish this torture on anyone.
 
Ive been wondering how you were doing and so happy to hear you found someone to listen to you! Please keep us updated.
 
I'm so sorry your knees have driven you to this point. :console2:

I do hope that this latest surgeon will be able to sort out your knees.
We'll be here, to support you.
 
I was crying so hard in his office when he told me he would help me...I am surprised he did not think I was a crazy person. He also told me the last Ortho Surgeon I went to..Dr. Kotwal was a total jerk and he actually apologized for his terrible bedside manner and unprofessional behavior. He sat in front of me and looked me directly in the eyes when talking to me. 2 minutes after he started examining me he said...You don't have to say anymore to convince me there is something wrong. I could tell the minute I saw you walk in this exam room there is a huge issue. He immediately took new xrays and ordered blood tests and the in home PT. His office actually called me with the blood results instead of me having to chase them for it. So far..I am really impressed with this guy. God knows I have prayed day and night for somebody to help me.

John Eggers, M.D., Ph.D. comes to DFP Orthopaedics as a fellowship trained hip and knee surgeon specializing in total hip and knee replacements and revisions. He has expertise in treating complex primary and revision arthroplasties. He also received extensive training in maintaining native joints through surgical and non-surgical interventions when applicable.

He has had fellowship training in total joint revision: surgery performed when joint replacements have worn out, failed, or become infected. He obtained his medical and
doctoral degrees from the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, NE and subsequently completed his Orthopaedic surgery residency at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. He then completed sub-specialty fellowship training, graduating from the Cleveland Clinic Adult Reconstruction Fellowship. He has a specialized focus in preventing total joint arthroplasty infections, writing and he has written and reviewed many publications on the topic. He is a reviewer for multiple publications including the Journal of Arthroplasty and the Journal of Knee Surgery. He accepts transfer of complex hip and knee cases from hospitals.
 
This surgeon will be your answer to prayer, I'm sure. Please let us know what happens.
 
How did I find this Doctor? The fedex guy delivered a package to me. He had a huge black brace on his knee. I naturally ask him what had happened. He started telling me that he had a TKR and that he was allergic to the metal. He would be having the whole thing revised very soon. In our conversation I inquired about who he had went to for help because he kept talking about how great they were. He gave me his Doctors name and number. By chance Dr. Eggers was in network with my insurance and I scheduled an appt right away. God works in mysterious ways.
 
Yes, God does. In my experience, the best doctors come my way through word of mouth, or like your chance contact. A great review right from the patient. How fortunate you got to speak to this man!
 
I found my OS while looking for the office of another OS. He was located behind a hospital and I couldn't fine it, so I went into the information center at the hospital and asked a nice lady where it was. I also asked what she had heard about that doctor and she said not much. Then she told me about her OS that had done her tkr about a year earlier. I believe this was straight from God. After much prayer, her recommended OS became mine! And what a blessing he has been!
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom