Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Lookin' On the Bright Side!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loz, pain like you are describing can be frustrating and sometimes difficult to get on top of. The important thing is that you not do things that aggravate the condition. Please be watchful of this and moderate activity that hurts. Here is some reading for you from the BoneSmart Library on Trochanter Bursitis.

Josephine
 
Oh gosh yes, that is annoying and really gets you down. A shot of cortisone got rid of mine within minutes!
 
Thanks for the info Jamie and Jo..Why do you think that the OC wants to wait a couple of months??
 
I don't know. If you're in pain, waiting to see if things improve doesn't seems like a good move to me.
 
I put this on another persons post, but should have put on my own really.

New
I believe I have bursitis as all the pains shown I have!! I went for my OC for my 8 month check up and he agreed and said it would get better!! well in the last 2 weeks it got a lot worse but now is a bit better, even though it is painful to walk. I called the OC's secretary and said about cortisone..she asked the OC and he said we will hold off that as long as we can??? Why would he do that?? and should I go elsewhere??​
 
Sorry it was meant to say "I went to see my Orthopaedic consultant/orthopaedic surgeon "!

The thing is Jo I had it done privately and not on the NHS, so should I not carry on seeing him via my Private health cover?? to be honest I don't know??

Its just I seem to have had so much trouble over the last 2 year I don't really know who to talk to anymore!
 
Loz....if it was me, I would see my GP. Sometimes you have to take a "multiple front" attack on problems and get as many opinions as possible. Then decide what you think is best in terms of treatment.
 
Well after about 3 weeks I am back to feeling OK again!! I took some Dicloflenac that I was prescribed last time this happened, as well as paracetamol.

This seems to be the 3rd time this has flared up since March, 1st time 6 weeks after the op then in July and then in November…after a few weeks it settles down but makes me nervous about my hip and I have almost to start again with my flexibility and stretches. (BTW the actual hip feels fine it’s just the soft tissue and scar?)

The only thing is every time I get it is less painful than before?? And is there any way I can stop it happening again, as I really can’t see a reason why this happens??

Any way it’s good news from me at the moment..Although still too slow a recovery time!
 
That is good news that it's better. And also good that the flare-ups are less each time. I'm afraid that this is something you'll just have to deal with from time to time then and hope that evenuallly it will stop entirely.
 
Hi Loz,

I'm surprised I missed your thread before, as I'm supposed to have a revision soon and watch for revision threads. Reading about how you were thought to have a loose stem, then didn't has me more than a little concerned. Did they ever mention anything about how much space you had between your stem and femur? I may be grasping at straws - Jo has already checked my images and said I was loose, along with my Orthopod.

And with all the talk of Bursitis, I had my pain management Dr. check, and I have a bad case. Like Jo said, they can do injections. Last resort is to surgically remove the bursa - which I've read can be done without negative consequences. Resting and topical Voltran gel is helping some, but it's only been a few days.

I'm glad we're talking about Bursitis more in the forum. I don't know why it's escaped my Dr's and PT, except medical people don't seem to touch or visually check you after awhile, unless you bring something to their attention.

Good luck and take it easy. I'd love to be able to walk over 1/2 mile, so your thread gives me hope, even though you still get overuse injuries. Continued groin pain can be related to a Psoas impingement, so even if your Dr. cut away tissue, it doesn't mean the Psoas can't become impinged, although a smaller cup reduces that chance. Pain that comes and goes is usually overuse - continuous can mean something needs more looking in to.

Best,

TH
 
Thanks for that Tiredhippy.

The last time I saw my OC he had a good look at my x-rays, he said they looked fine, but these were taken after 6 weeks and not since! I went private and see the surgeon who performed the first op and the revision, he is highly thought of around the Sussex area.

The last time I saw him Nov 12 is when the pain started, I saw him on the Monday and said it was hurting and by Friday could hardly put my foot down...But sitting, resting and sleeping I had no pain?? I called him and he told me to take Dicloflenac and paracetamol, this helped. When I saw him he just moved my leg from the ankle while holding the knee and said it was much looser which I do agree with and then he got me standing on the bad leg while holding my hands, he then said it was much stronger and needed a "bit more work" (exercising)

The thing that got me was his reluctance to talk about a injection and said that was not in his mind yet?? but then again this morning I walked the dog for a over a mile with no reaction and standing waiting for the dog to stop his sniffing I have no pain, it just moving when it feels a bit uncomfortable.

Sometimes I think it’s just me being a bit of a baby ..but I played football until 40 at quite a high level and have had 2 broken collar bones twisted ankles that have swollen like footballs so I do know pain!!
 
Hi Loz,

Surgeons don't like to admit they made mistakes, or even see less-than-perfect progress. I had to switch from my initial Orthopod to get any answers.

There's some similarities with the problems I'm having now and yours prior to first revision. One is that I'm being told my pain is beng caused by a loose stem. I have a DePuy Pinnacle and know the MOM is a problem, but I'm a COM. I've read that the Pinnacle may have design issues.

I had a new Ortho check it out at 8 months and he thought I had a Psoas impingement and performed a release. I did very well and really pushed it for a month, then the nasty thigh/stem pain along with Meralgia Paraesthica returned.

Your pain reminds me of the muscle impingement I had, but could be bursitis and/or IT band issues.

I just bloody hate being bionic sometimes!

Since I'm having a revision for similar issues causing your first revision, it get nervous when you say that's not what they found with you (I'm already nervous).

I hope this all makes sense. That's why it's good to have a forum like this so we can check our experiences with people who've been through the same. It's much more useful than a recalcitrant Dr.

Best to you,

TH
 
:thankyou: I am nine months from revision surgery (replacing partial with total) and I am having a problem with soft tissue inflammation on the inside of my leg. Getting a steroid shot every month, not too helpful, any other suggestions. I see the OS on Friday for another steroid shot. Have heard of patches... I cannot take oral Nsaids. Wish i could, they would help I am almost sure.
 
Roksan, if you would like to try an NSAID patch, ask your surgeon about it. Tell him the shots really aren't working. Here is a broken link removed: https://www.flectorpatch.com/index.aspx. There are many.
 
Thanks Jamie for the quick response. I just heard of those NSAID patches and plan on asking him about them when I go in on Friday. Hope he will let me try them. He is my second opinion doctor and did a good job, my knee feels good, but the inflammation bothers me a lot. Will let you know.

Roksan
LKR June, 2012
 
Well an update from me.

After still having a few problems, stiffness and pain my right leg being dragged about like a bit of old meat, my surgeon recomended seeing a Physo..for some reason he think a cortisone injection is a last resort?

Anyway the physo was quite conserned at my gaite and stiffness and limp! and told me to think every time I stand to get my feet level with my hips, and point them straight ahead, not at the 10 past 2 with all my weight on the left leg. She also gave me a few simple exersises, the first week I went back hurting so she "got in there" with her fingers and elbow very near to the scar. She then said that she could feel all my muscles hanging on for dear life and told my that I should get in there my self when sitting down and dont be afraid of the joint as all looks and feels fine to her.

I have to say just after she said all looks and feels fine, I seemed to have relaxed around that area and it does feel a bit looser. (how much was in the head?)

I have been boasting about walking for miles ect..but as she said it quality not quantaty, and by walking badly actully makes things worse!

So now we are going for small stretches that are correctly done rather than my gun ho attitude.

I will let you know how I get on..see you all soon X
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lookin' On the Bright Side!!
Looks as if you've found yourself a great physio who'll get you walking properly which should take care of a lot of aches and pains and finally make all of this surgery worthwhile. do take it slow and easy---be kind to yourself and that new hip.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Lookin' On the Bright Side!!
 
This sounds very promising, Loz. I'm happy to hear you have connected with this competent person!! Please keep us updated on your progress. We're rootin' for you!!!
 
Well here I am again.
My apologies for the long delay. After the last 6 months in self denial, hoping upon hope that is was just stretching I needed, I plucked up the courage to go and see a revision specialist.
Had a xray and the consultant told me something I already knew....he believes that the stem is loose!

Basically the pain while resting is zero but when getting up from sitting the pain is quite bad especially when I try to straighten the leg. While walking although most of the time is just about bearable, if I tread on uneven ground and the leg twists the pain rockets up to a 10 out of 10!!. literally I can walk fine and then bam I struggle to put one foot in front of the other for a few steps until it eases.

If anyone remembers I had the first revision because the consulted thought the the stem was loose but when in surgery he said he could not move it??

I have had my bloods taken to check for infection and then off for a nuclear scan.

Oh my days!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom