Revision THR Lookin' On the Bright Side!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great Jo thank you very much...much as I expected, by just knowing the pain was in the middle of the thigh and not muscular. Although I was nearly convinced by the consultant keep telling me to do more exercises that it was muscular.

I am trying to loose a few pounds for my holiday and started cycling and swimming, but no matter how much I done the pain was in the same place and about the same intensity. Then after a few days of that it was so painful I could hardly put my foot down! this has been going on for months.

A few questions need asking though.

WHY when the 1st consultant saw the bone scan and told me he thought the stem looked loose, when he had my on the operating table did he not just remove the it ??? I am a service engineer and if while at a job even if the parts look OK I will change them if the job requires it. its common sense!!

Also why is it some-days I can walk with only mild pain say 2 out of 10 and the for what seems like a random act, am I up to 8 out of 10 and even a seldom yelp of pain?? I hope this is not just because its moving around in my bone as the thought of that makes me a bit queasy.

And I know this is not a very British question but as this was all done privately ( I am not rich its a company scheme) can some sort of monies be paid back...let alone the last 3 years of hydrotherapy, physiotherapy and endless appointments with the consultant....and of course the 3 years of pain and none movement, and not being able to work sometimes!!!
 
Hi All.

Well I now have a new op date of the 22 of November.

I went to see the consultant last week and was shown the CT scans and the nuclear scans.

Well the nuclear scans showed a very bright light in the middle of the femur, and left the consultant in no doubt that the stem would have to be removed!! the ct scan showed a gap at the top on both sides, so it was pretty conclusive.

After that I was sent for a medical and my BP was 168 / 103 and was told that it was way too high to even think about a operation at the moment. The next day I went to my GP and it was 148 / 98 so I have been put on pills.

So I went and bought a BP tester for home and the 3 takings over the last 3 days have all been about 135 / 85 but I will still wait until the 22/11.

When I get the letter of the consultant I will fill you all in with the details.

"Ere we go again!"
 
Hi there Loz, sorry to read you are requiring a revision, but pleased you have answers.

Just a suggestion, next time you see you GP take your BP monitor with your and double check your reading against your GP's machine, often they can show different readings. This way you will definitely know you are both on the same page. If it works out they are producing the same readings, you may get a bit of 'white coat hypertension', often we are are anxious in these situations.

Keep us posted :)
 
Loz - I fixed your post for you. So sorry you are having to go through all this! Of course your BP is high - this is all very stressful! I had the same problem with high BP in any clinical setting. These days I take my BP just before any doctor visit. At home it is totally normal but just the noise of that velcro cuff in a doctor's office sets it soaring.

Please do keep us updated!
 
I went in for my annual ob-gyn check today, and the first thing they do is check your weight....as does every doctor in existence. Then they do the BP check. I really think it should be the other way around.

Sharon
 
:rotfl: Boy, do I ever agree with that!!!!
 
I might need some help with this letter received today (and I have Google'd the words as well!!)

His recent SPECT scan of the right hip shows fairly marked activity around the femoral component. This is particularly noticeable distally where he has fairly gross hypertrophy of the femur. His x-rays show lucency around the proximal part of the femoral stem but the distal part appears to be well fixed.

With the ending sentence being....I will use cemented femoral component to prevent further loosening.

Can someone explain if all that sounds OK?

Many thanks x
 
Tag Jo. I'm sure she could help.
It's a real bummer going through what you've been through.
I also may be needing a revision soon due to loosening.
I've just read and will be following your journey.
Wishing you the best of all results. Is your surgery still scheduled for 11/22?

Annette
 
Thanks Annette,

I don't know how to tag Jo??

Wish you the best for your revision and yes I am still on for the 22/11 as this ties in with a good time to have of work.

All the best and chin up!!

Loz x
 
I take it then that the present stem is uncemented? It's actually pretty common for a failed uncemented stem to be replaced with a cemented stem. Same if an uncemented cup has failed. As it happens, cemented devices have a much better record than uncemented and that's a fact.
 
I take it then that the present stem is uncemented? It's actually pretty common for a failed uncemented stem to be replaced with a cemented stem. Same if an uncemented cup has failed. As it happens, cemented devices have a much better record than uncemented and that's a fact.


Hi Jo,

Yes the present stem is uncemented. It was not so much that , that needed explaining it was:

is recent SPECT scan of the right hip shows fairly marked activity around the femoral component. This is particularly noticeable distally where he has fairly gross hypertrophy of the femur. His x-rays show lucency around the proximal part of the femoral stem but the distal part appears to be well fixed.

That part of the letter??

Loz xx
 
@Josephine
Hi Jo.

Yes the present stem is uncemented. It was not so much that , that needed explaining it was:

is recent SPECT scan of the right hip shows fairly marked activity around the femoral component. This is particularly noticeable distally where he has fairly gross hypertrophy of the femur. His x-rays show lucency around the proximal part of the femoral stem but the distal part appears to be well fixed.

That part of the letter??

Loz xx
 
Hi Loz,
Been thinking about you.
Wondering how you're doing and if you are still scheduled for surgery on 11/22?
 
Thanks Annette, its all go for tomorrow 22/11, lets just hope its 3rd time lucky, as although a pragmatic, and cup half full type of bloke this is starting to get me down... Whats the record?? I must be close with 3 new hips in less than 3 years.

I will post again after the deed is done (although my faith is somewhat shattered TBH)
 
Hi Loz,
My thoughts, hopes, and prayers are with you tomorrow.
Keep the Faith!
 
Well that's all over, didn't get long with the surgeon as I was v tired , but he has replaced everything and I had a ceramic hip put in. The stem was loose at the top but fixed at the bottom so he had a lot of trouble getting it out, ended up Chipping down the inside of femur to get it out...I will get a bit more info when I am a bit more with it! X
 
Just found my way back around to you. WOW you sure have been through it. I sure do hope the 3rd time IS a charm for you. Sending LOTS of good healing energy your way. Hope your recovery goes well. You certainly deserve it! Will be watching to hear how you are, (I am having a rev too, next month)

Hang in there, Cathy
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Loz
Hi there Loz so pleased surgery is all over... Rest now and keep us updated when you are feeling more up to it :)

Hugs from down under x
 
Loz, don't know if you've set the surgery record or not, but I sure hope you now set a record for a great recovery. It doesn't have to be the fastest on record, just a really really good one.

Sharon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom