THR Littlejem is on the move!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Littlejem and Firebrand Ive got a friend who is an aromatherapist, and she suggested a few drops of lavender essential oil on your pillow at night to help you sleep. I've been using it and have slept almost all the way through every night since the op and I hate sleeping on my back. Worth a go . Its really cheap and makes your bedroom smell lovely too. :)
 
:goodpost:

Thanks TeeEm that is a great idea, I used it before a while ago when it worked really well and I'd completely forgotten about it!!:)
 
Littlejem Hi Janet I hope you are improved with extra pain meds and the reassurance that what you are experiencing is normal. My groin muscles have not improved despite rest and Ibuprofen so I have decided to see my GP on Monday I am seeing my OS for the first time since my op on the 24th.As you will imagine I am fed up as this time last week I was doing so well and thought I could look forward to a great summer but I have a feeling this is going to set me back.The roller coaster ride continues !
 
Hi Kim, I too have had a bit of groin pain in my operated side, never had it that side before, only in the other side but it's only slight and not there all of the time, so I wasn't too worried about it. I think you're right to get yours checked if it's getting worse and stopping your recovery, best to safe than sorry. I know that my leg length won't be helping with my aches, my physio told me that I'm walking quite badly because of it and it will be moving my hips awkwardly. My surgeon measured my leg as 1 cm longer than my other but if I stand with what feels right to me my daughter says its an inch!! When I stand in front of the mirror naked, apart from it not being a pretty sight, it's so obvious my hips level doesn't match up. You're so right about it being a roller coaster.

Anyone have any thoughts on having a bath and whether you think you could get in/out and up/down into the water? The thought of lounging in the lovely hot water.............bliss!! :)
 
Hi Janet Of course a lot of your aches and pains will be due to LLD making you walk badly.I really need my stick again now as without it I am limping again.Once you get your second hip done and the LLD resolved things will I prove

I also long to lounge in a warm bath I think it would do me a power of good but I wouldn't contemplate it at the moment Has any one tried to get down on the floor and more importantly get back up again?
 
@ funny you should say that but I've just tried and managed to get down onto the floor and back up, although whether it would be as easy in the bath is another matter!! :heehee:
 
That's great news especially as you still have one arthritic hip so well done but the bath would be more of a challenge I think. Before I had my op I had to do a " Downward Dog " type move to get back up from the floor It looked really strange. The physio demonstrated how to do it last time she was here by kneeling with the operated lg and pushing up with the good leg.
 
Kim22 I had to turn onto all fours to get up pre surgery!! :puppysmooze:

I've been and done it.............!!!
I've just had the most amazing warm bubbly bath and it felt soooooo good!! Not easy to get in but aided and abetted by my wonderful husband I did it. We have a very tall, stand alone, roll top bath, it's crutch high on me so I sat on the edge and hanging onto the sides, swung my operated leg in first and then the other, then keeping my operated leg straight I went down on my other leg until I could sit. Getting out I reversed it all but being wet I was really frightened of slipping so I put a towel over the bath edge to sit on and Steve held on to me while I swung my legs back over!! Such a triumph, I felt like I'd achieved something huge and boy did that bath feel good!! :happydance:
 
Littlejem That's wonderful news oh I am so jealous of your warm bubble bath It sounds like heaven I bet you felt great for it Well done.I wouldn't dare try it just yet I can imagine Henry getting loads of attention in the pub he is so attractive,
 
Littlejem "hip hip" hooray for that bath :)
Kim22 I'm sorry about the pulled muscle and pain-- it too will go away in its turn. :)
Firebrand sorry about the early am waking times-- I'm kind of used to that anyway, so maybe it won't trouble me too much when it's my turn. I have no advice, but that lavender essential oil does sound nice.... :)
 
Wow, Littlejem, the bath! You brave thing - and congrats for doing it successfully! My PT showed me how to get up off the floor, but I have not tried it yet (and still feel that's way beyond what I would feel comfortable attempting.) I am thrilled enough that I can step into the tub for my shower with much more ease than I was able to when I first came home!:yes:
Sorry for the pain and the unevenness. If this helps for perspective, with my last hip, my surgery was April 5, and the following October I had a, unexpected and severe pain issue. I was doing great, and I'd driven alone the 250 miles to see my older son at college, staying overnight with a friend, all "normal." I was doing a little browsing in a clothing store (actually, the LLBean main store in Freeport, Maine!:happydance: ) and without thinking I turned or something and <<ZOWEEE>> I had such pain in my operated leg that I could barely walk! I managed to get out of the store, and... I had to find a local pharmacy/health aide tore and buy a new cane to use for the rest of my visit!
My learnings from that were: (1) to expect odd and sometimes harsh pains for perhaps the year - and I always took my cane with me after that for the rest of a year, even if I just left it in the trunk of the car! and
(2) to celebrate the good moments, but not to be shocked or overly upset when there were bad moments. (Obviously if I hadn't recovered quickly from that incident I would have called the Dr.)
 
Oh a bath. How wonderful. I am green with jealousy!

I had to get down on my knees today to look at the leads in my mum's TV - it was only once I was down there that I realised I hadn't done that before, and wasn't sure how to get back up. Luckily there was a chair nearby that I used to pull myself up with.
 
Songlady I'm from southern Conn., too. I can't find your thread but will keep looking so I won't have to hijack @Littlejems, but I've been curious where abouts in Conn. you're from. I'm near New Haven. I also liked your advice on keeping the cane handy just in case!

Littlejem I hope you had a good weekend. Today was Mother's Day in the US and as I said on someone else's thread, I looked it up for the UK and understand that they call it Mothering Sunday and it's celebrated before Easter. I like that name for it. Sounds very nurturing.

Firebrand Well, that's quite an accomplishment - not only getting down but getting back up! You must be doing well to manage that. :)
 
Songlady Ohhh I bet that gave you a real fright and by doing something just so simple, thank goodness it was all okay and you could manage to keep going!! I expect you're right and we could have 'odd' moments when we experience pain quite a while after the surgery and not to panic too much. Okay I'm very interested in this store LLBean, you say it's a clothing shop, is it quite exclusive??
Yes Firebrand the bath felt so good and really helped my bad hip.
ByGosh I had heard it was mothers day in the USA and you're right in saying ours is in March and sometimes called Mothering Sunday. I hope you had a lovely weekend and were spoilt yesterday?
We had my eldest daughter and the 3 grandsons over for dinner, unfortunately their dad is in Afghanistan at the moment. :sad:
 
Songlady What a scary experience for you and so far away from home too. I will bear what you learnt from the incident in mind especially about expecting pain for the year and alway having a cane to hand. I already decided not to return my sticks to the NHS for some considerable time as they are palm grip ones and much better for arthritic hands They have also been measured for me correctly. It's so funny that before I had my hip replacement I would not consider using a walking stick really due to vanity as I considered them just for old people even though I would have benefitted from one. How ridiculous was that I am now glad of it and happy to carry on using it for as long as I need it.Thank you for sharing with us and I really appreciate how we learn from each others experiences on this site. I am so glad that you soon recovered
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom