Guest viewing is limited

THR Lisa lands on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hoppy Nanny Chrissie, yeah I was totally shocked about the cane. He had me walk the length of rehab with the cane and said I did pretty well. I'll still use the walker when I'm out for now and maybe even in the morning when I first get I'm kind of shaky. And I'm in Ohio so the weather is snowy and icy so that's why he didn't give me the okay for outside

As for extra padding, I've got plenty of my own. Just need some more protection on top because the staples are right where I sit. Staples are to come out next Wednesday, weather permitting. Right now, they are saying there might be a major storm hit Tues/Wed. While they aren't calling it a forecast yet, some models show 1-2 ft of snow for our area if the track is right. Even 5-6 inches on top of what we've gotten recently will be enough to make things crazy!
 
Sounds like you're doing great! I'm a little over 3 weeks out now and I can say that this week I'm truly turning a corner. I'll bet you will too! Day 21 is a magic day. Keep us posted. ;) Peggy xo
 
Thinking of you karisa7174. I am recovering from surgery on the same day. Sounds like we are facing many of the same issues. Some days are better than others. The overall trajectory is up, but every now and then I take a step or two back. Are you able to sleep better in bed? Or are you still in the recliner? My PT also had me try out the cane, and I am able to do it, but the walker provides greater stability. No need to rush things. Hang in there!!
 
@nettie I often wonder how you are doing too as I remembered you were a same day hippie! As for me, I'm still mostly in the recliner. I find it more comfortable. Also, I toss and turn a lot normally so I'm afraid if I was in bed, I'd roll the wrong way or do something I shouldn't. I did sleep some in my bed the other night. I woke up wide awake and knew I wasn't going to sleep anytime soon. I wanted to watch some tv but my dad was asleep on the couch. So I opted to lay on the bed for awhile so not to wake him. I did end up falling asleep.

I tried out the cane at PT and did pretty well. Haven't tried it at home yet as I didn't have a cane. My friends are letting me borrow theirs and I'll get it tomorrow.

Hope things continue going well for you and stay in touch!
 
@karisa7174 how I miss sleeping on my side!! It has been difficult adjusting to sleeping on my back, but fortunately it has been easier for me with this surgery than when I had my other hip done four months ago. I tried to lay on my non-operated side the other night, but no-go. I took Tylenol PM a few nights and it worked like a charm, but I was groggy the next day so I am trying to do without it. My next milestone is to have my staples taken out on Feb 6th. Looking forward to that! Trying to go back to work after 3 weeks if possible. Keep us posted on your progress!!
 
@nettie my staples are due to come out on the 5th. I can't wait as that's really the only thing bothering me right now. Only thing I have is still weakness in my leg. It's definitely better but still has a ways to go.

My goal is to go back 4-5 weeks. My disability is approved at least through 4 weeks so I'm shooting for that. Will know more after I talk to dr on the 5th.
 
This having trouble sleeping is for the birds!! I know it's common but I'm really tired of being awake at 2:30 am! I guess the only good thing is that at least I'm not awake at this time and having to go to work in a few hours.
 
@fulafoto thanks for that idea, I forgot about that. Wasn't awake as much last night so that's good! Now though I'm wide awake and frustrated. I was still supposed to get a full paycheck this week and just logged onto my bank. Looked like they screwed it up (I'm not surprised!) so may not get the rest for another week. So frustrated right now!!!
 
hi @karisa7174 . hope you got some sleep. I had anterior and am finally able to sleep on my stomach which is so great. altho I spend a fair amount of time on the unoperated side. just wanted to say that I found that a crutch, the kind that has an arm thingie and not that goes under your armpit, gave a lot more security than a cane. hope things continue to go well. :sleep:
 
I know about the frustration of pays at the moment Lisa. Am STILL waiting after 4 weeks for my pay office to get details to my insurer so I can start getting income protection payments!!! If it doesn't come soon we will be eating fresh air!

Good that you weren't awake much last might - hope you get a good nights sleep tonight too!
 
I was also awake in the early morning hours this morning. Woke with a terrible headache that seems to be related to the Percocet pain medication. I say that because I had the same thing the last time I was on Percocet but it went way when I weened myself off the med. I have had the same thing for the past 3 nights. I know it will pass. Hope you will be sleeping better soon Lisa!!
 
Had another pretty good day (well other than my work messing up my paycheck). Had PT today and after getting a cane, started using it here around the house. Doing okay at PT except one exercise. They are wanting me to lift my operated leg off the bed/table in the air while laying flat. Yeah, it budges all of 2 inches! . Gotta keep working on that. Minimal pain (mostly just annoyance from staples). Mood was better today. Still having trouble sleeping. Tonight I'm trying my couch and so far, I've gotten comfortable easier. Have a great weekend everyone!
 
@karisa7174 - I couldn't do that exercise either - which they taught us in the hospital. But since I was prescribed no PT, I didn't worry about it and after awhile, I noticed I had regained the strength to do it by myself. Give yourself time...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@charmed-life thanks for sharing your experience with this also. It always helps to know you're not the only one!
 
Had my first real outing (other than PT) yesterday. I got up, around and went to church. Was really nervous about going out, especially since we had gotten several more inches of fresh snow overnight. My dad came in to pick me up (since I haven't gotten cleared to drive yet). Thankful at my church we have a ramp you can drive up and drop people off). Went pretty well. Everyone was completely shocked to see me at just over 10 days post op and even more so just using a cane. I walked all around the church talking with people. Then I even went upstairs to our media room that I help run. Everyone told me I shouldn't try that many stairs (I only have one step into my house). Going up them was amazingly simple!!

After church, my dad and I went to lunch (our typical Sunday outing) at a local restaurant. By the time I got home, I felt good, just exhausted! Realize that while I feel great, I'm not near ready to go back to work yet. Just the tiredness I feel made me realize that.

All in all, I'm feeling good. Little to no pain (and not taking pain meds but at night). Walking good with just a cane. Am anxiously awaiting Wednesday when I see OS to get staples removed, ask follow up questions, and see how I'm doing. Just hoping nothing changes as there is a big storm coming with 6-12 inches of snow for Tuesday night. Hoping my driver helper can make it to take me and the doctor can make it into town also.

Thanks again everyone for all the support and encouragement. These forums are amazing!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lisa @karisa7174 what a great report

Just popping in to lend my support. I found going our gave me a sense of tiredness I hadn't had in a long time and like you found the stairs pretty easy.

Do you have restrictions for sitting?

Keep up the good work
 
@karisa7174, what a lovely update! I am so glad you felt well enough for church and lunch. Not only is it good physically but also mentally. We had ice last night so waiting to see if my sister can make it for us to tackle PT. If. to I will just sit myself here all snug. I know what you mean about work. Even though I work from home there is no way I ready to stay up and focused a full day!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom