THR Lisa lands on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I got the staples out today and it was pretty uneventful. Most of them I barely felt. Physician asst said everything looks great! Still no driving for another couple week, bummer!! I live alone so always have to line up rides for PT, church, dr appointments.

Got my release to return to work on 2/24 for half days until 3/6 when I see doctor. Then will be on to full days after that. Need to call disability insurance because according to my job and disability, I should be back full time in just 4 weeks. Can be extended but gotta go through hoops now to get extra paperwork, etc filled out.

Felt so a GREAT to take a shower tonight!! Although getting in and out was more challenging than I imagined. Bye bye to sponge Baths! Now if I could just lose the ted hose. (They are off right now after showering but a friend will help me put them back on tomorrow, still have 2 weeks to go on them. :().

That's about it for now. Just want to say how grateful I am for this site and all the wonderful staff and members who are so encouraging. Gonna try and get some shut eye now as I've got PT early tomorrow. At least it's with my favorite therapist this time!
 
Wahoo.... Getting the staples out and having the first shower is awesome - so pleased for you Lisa!
 
Oh wow.... @karisa7174 how nice to have a shower. You had to wait a while!!!! I had mine on day 3!

So glad the staple removal was i eventful...they do look scary
 
Yep my instructions were not to get staples wet, don't use a waterproof dressing and no showers until staples removed.

Now my trouble is, I can shower but I need help getting my ted hose on. I have today figured out, I took them off last night (they said I could at night if I needed to rinse them out). My friend is taking to PT this morning and will put them back on for me. Still have about 1 1/2 weeks I'm to wear them (not sure I'll make it that long)
 
Yes that is a pain....I gave mine up once I was moving around quite a bit.

To get them on alone I wiggled my toes into them and then used my grabber to pull them up enough until, I could reach and adjust them myself. I loved my grabber

Hope that helps....
 
@Vetgirl thanks for the idea. It doesn't seem to work for me though :(. But I think I've got it figured out, taking real showers the night before PT and have my friend help put them on next morning. Other days just washing up best possible. After all, sitting around resting and napping doesn't cause a lot of sweat and dirt! :)

Went to Hobby Lobby today as I needed to get some paper for a project I'm doing and it was on sale. Quick trip and lunch and I've spent the afternoon sleeping. The energy drain really has a hold on me!! Well, speaking of sleeping, I think it's almost time for another nap. Don't know what I'm going to do when I go back to work in a few weeks! :)
 
@karisa7174 Glad you enjoyed your shower!
Sorry you and TED are still engaged. Ha
About your insurance, and the 4 weeks; I had never even thought about that. I guess I figured I
was going to stay out 10-12 weeks. Does the insurance co. make the call on that?
 
@MajorHeidi the letter I received from my disability insurance company said for my disability and my occupation I should be back to work in 4 weeks. I do feel great other than I just get tired really easy. So if they'll approve another 2 weeks of half days, that's my plan. I'd take even longer but can't afford to financially, especially if my disability insurance won't pay. Also, March is a crazy time of year at work. Thankfully I have an amazing boss so I know she won't let me overdo it. :)

Yeah, I'm about sick of these ted hose and ready to divorce them! :) if I can make it to next weekend, that will be 3 1\2 weeks and then they will be history!!!
 
@karisa7174 I ditched my hose on Weds because I am up and moving quite a bit and also ditched my walker except to PT the same day.
 
Finally starting to sleep a little better. For the last couple nights, I have only woken up twice during the night. Still too much for my liking, but I've always struggled with sleep. And right after surgery, I'd wake up about every hour. Now I can sleep about 3 hours before waking up.

Still haven't attempted to sleep in bed yet. I am sure I can do it but nervous as I am one that tosses and turns all night. I'm nervous about rolling the wrong way, crossing my legs, etc, etc. and since I'm sleeping pretty well, think I'll stay in the recliner for another week or two.
 
sounding good @karisa7174 . it's so odd how different places and doctors have different ideas about the ted hose. as I mentioned once, here they just had me use these wide, white, ace bandage type things that were easy to wrap up to the knee and not annoying at all. and they said once I was up and moving around I didn't need them. just stopped the blood thinners after a month also. and now I'm going to start taking arnica. (homeopathy that @Poppet said not to take while on blood thinners.) hope sleeping gets easier for you.
 
@MajorHeidi for me the recliner has been the way to go. At first I couldn't easily get my leg into bed anyways! Hope it works well for you also!!
 
@karisa7174. Don't worry about sleeping in bed....I had no trouble from day 1.... Put a pillow each side of me so I couldn't roll over and a rolled up towel between my legs, near my feet so I couldn't cross my legs......voila!! Still sleeping on my back and get way more sleep than before op. Didn't get a recliner as it was never mentioned to me..sounds good though, especially for during the day as I had to take to my bed. Cheers Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
It sure seems like most all of us are side sleepers, doesn't it? Sleeping on your back is hard, although
intuitively it should be the easiest. Glad you are sleeping well on your back in bed @Hoppy Nanny .
:)
 
@Hoppy Nanny thanks for the ideas. I'm going to try it soon (sleeping in bed) but sleep pretty well (well as good as i ever sleep) in my recliner. I've always had a recliner and have spent many a night there so I am pretty comfortable there already.
 
It's a very common complaint Lisa @karisa7174 the tiredness. I think it's the bodies way of telling us we need to rest to recover. My surgeon says that plus waking up at night are the two biggest complaints at the 6 weeks check up.

I think if you can do 2 weeks on half days that would ease you make into work much easier than going back to your full schedule. Keep up the good work
 
Well, I'm now 3 weeks post op and feeling pretty good. Little to no pain, just some mild discomfort, mostly if I sit in one spot too long. Just taking an occasional Tylenol and taking Celebrex daily for another week.

Yesterday had a big day where I stopped by my work to drop off some paperwork. Then onto 2 separate appointments (not hip related). Had lunch in between then home and I was tired!! But managed okay with going into different places.

Last night for the first time I think I even slept most of the night. Was awake for the day at 4 am but had fallen asleep before 9 last night so still got enough sleep. That felt good! I think I woke up once but just for a few minutes.

The biggest thing I'm struggling with now is just the emotional aspect. I've been pretty emotional the past few days and spent a good portion of one afternoon in tears. I don't understand it but know it's common. Just hoping it passes soon. I think part of it is I'm feeling better but still cooped up at home because I can't drive for a few more days. Gonna spend this afternoon (after PT) passing time by making some cards. Got some new supplies last night so I'm ready to dive in.

Well, gotta go, my ride is here, she's go help put my one ted hose back on, then it's off to PT, the store, and then home for lunch. Hope everyone has a great day!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom