THR Lisa lands on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@shrinkette getting into bed for me is pure torture. Right now I've been sleeping in the recliner because my leg is so heavy and hard to move. Hope all works out for you.

Yep, wAlking isn't too bad at all. I won't lie, those first steps were still excruciating but it's steadily gotten better. For me anyways, it's truly the getting up/down, in/out, off/on that are the hard parts for me.
 
Right now I've been sleeping in the recliner because my leg is so heavy and hard to move.
karisa, I hope I've read this incorrectly, but you say that like it's a really bad thing or a failure on your part. I think it's a really good choice to sleep in a recliner for the first few weeks. Takes all the stress and pain out of things. Personally I spent 12 weeks before and another 12 weeks after my op in the recliner and have no intention for doing it differently after the next one! Excellent idea!
 
@karissa. welcome to this side. I just don't get why they string you out like that. is it really because they're afraid someone else will 'get off' on your painkillers? I did notice in the hospital and also rehab that they wrote down and watched each oxycodone I took.in fact once one fell on the floor and I showed it to the nurse who picked it up. I was a bit nervous to take it (infection and all) but she wouldn't give me another one and suggested I wash it off, which I did. but to send you home without enough meds seems cruel.. hope you get it worked out and certainly sleep wherever it's most comfortable.
 
@Josephine thanks for the words of encouragement about the recliner. Yes, I was feeling bad because I can't tolerate the bed. It's good to hear that others have done that, makes me feel much better.

@dickinson thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm actually doing not too bad on what I have so far. Definitely ready though for one when the 6 hours are up! :)

Right now I'm just wiped out because I stood at my kitchen sink a short time ago and my dad helped wash my hair. Went well, just exhausting for that little bit. Now in my recliner resting for awhile before I get up some energy to get all washed and cleaned up.
 
@karisa7174 I too slept in the recliner and disliked the heavy leg feeling. Husband lifted leg into bed for a few weeks. It was frustrating being needy so I finally got through that phase and then lifted independently with other foot and strap. Was difficult if I had to go in the middle of night, he had to wake up and I really disliked that. The first are the roughest and Loritab 2 every 6 kept be going. Slowly I stopped needing them (forgot in fact to take them) at first it's obvious when the pain returns. Now almost six weeks taking tylenol's after PT, maybe at night and mostly for my back ;)

It will get better.. and then you will be floored how fast you recovered but so sleep when and how you can in that recliner. I put pillows under my feet, knees while reclining so I had a bit more of a lift and pressure was not in my ankles. My ankles became swelled, as they do with this surgery, but seemed to get worse if they dangled off chair. Take care Lisa!

Diane
 
@shrinkette, Know you're in South Florida. Have you investigated Superpath? You can always get a second opinion. I'm seeing Dr. Grandic in Boynton Beach. Has office in Boca I think. I have superpath surgery on 5th. Look at the incision that sailfreeordie posted. Is only three inches.
 
Haven't posted in a couple days so thought I'd give an update so far. I am nearly a week out from LHR and can't believe the progress I've made. Even my dad is amazed. I've been so grateful to have him around for a few days longer than expected! (I'm in Ohio where we've had quite a bit of snow and today it's -15, feels like -35. My dad is a teacher and schools have been closed so he's been able to help longer)

Yesterday was my first day of physical therapy (PT). Went well, I guess. Wasn't sure at the time as it hurt quite a bit. But throughout the day yesterday my leg felt a little stronger and I was walking a little easier. Trying to be a good patient and do the exercises at home too.

All in all, things seem to be going great. I know there will still be rough days ahead.

One thing I'm glad for is I haven't had to deal with the dreaded constipation (at least not yet). I'm really not on that much narcotics (1 norco 5-325 every 6 hours).

The hardest thing for me so far has been sleeping and the leg that is dead weight. And I've read on here that is pretty common. I struggle with sleep already so this just compounds it). I can't get comfortable for a long period of time. I'm sleeping in the recliner (which I initially felt bad about until Josephine commented that it's pretty common). Moving the dead weight leg is challenging sometime to say the least. But I'm figuring out some tricks to do it. And right now when someone is with me if it's too hard, I just have them move it.

Well, this is getting long and my fingers are getting cold. I'm going to curl back up under my blankets and try to get a little more shut eye.
 
@fulafoto thanks Bill! Thankfully I don't have PT today so I plan on staying in and not dealing with the brutal cold!!
 
Good for you...great report. The 'dead leg' gets easier everyday. I found squeezing the glutes before moving the leg made it easier both getting out of bed and chairs. Keep warm. Good old dad!! Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Yes, the leg feels very heavy and like it will not listen to you telling it what to do - but that does go away in a few days/weeks...
 
@charmed-life thanks for that encouragement. I can notice a difference already. Will be looking forward to another week or so when that feeling is way less.

@Hoppy Nanny thanks, I'll have to try that!

This has been a challenging and exhausting day. No PT, but my furnace was out for a time (mind you it was -10F below At the time). Got it going, then the cold water pipe in my kitchen froze. Thankfully got it fixed too! Good thing my dad was off school again. Kind of nervous about tomorrow as he is going back to school (assuming they don't cancel for weather). I know I can get around on my own but I always had a backup here until tomorrow!
 
@karisa7174 Thanks so much for your honest reporting on your recovery.
We all look forward to hearing about how you are doing.
Do stay warm. It is awful cold here in Virginia, too.
Snow tonight.
Stay indoors...... Hugs
 
Had my 2nd PT session today. Felt TONS better about it!! I could do so much more and wasn't near as bad! Therapist even told me I could move to a cane in the house as I felt comfortable enough. Looking forward to tomorrow with nothing on my agenda. My dad finally had school today so I was by myself for a majority of the day.

Things seems to be going well for me, I am truly amazed. My only issue is that right now I am having a lot of trouble tonight with one of the staples putting pressure when I try to lay down. I just put another padding over that section to see if it would help. My dad will be in Thursday evening to help change the dressing and hopefully we can figure out a little more then.

Thanks so much for everyone on here who has commented, encouraged, answered questions, etc. it has gotten me through the first week!
 
Good work Lisa - sounds like your doing brilliantly - onto a cane around the house - that is sensational!!!! Hope you sort out the staple issue to - is the extra padding helping?
 
@fulafoto Bill,the extra padding did help a little. Not as much as I'd like but some better. Will be glad when next Wednesday comes and I can just get the staples out!! :)

As for the cane, I am thrilled. Now I just need to get a cane, it was the one thing I didn't get ahead, I thought I'd be on the walker for at least two weeks if not more. Not one week!!
 
Good for you.... One cane after one week is amazing... Took me four weeks!
Now...... Extra padding... I've got lots I don't need, could send you some.. LOL..... Hope it works..once staples out it will be good for you.., keep up the good work.., Chrissie xxxxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom