Bilateral TKR Limpynomore has reached the recovery side!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello limpynomore,
I cried for 2 weeks straight...heavy, hyperventilating crying....I still cry some days. I can,t go out in my yard
Or grill with my family. Percocets make me dizzy& I can't look up...p.t is coming it's going to be an easy day.
Lots of knee swelling I think it,s the weather. Hot, muggy thunder storms every day for the last 2 weeks.
Take care I hope your back feels better & you can get comfortable :)
Diana
 
Limpy
Yes, nights during the first month esp. can be tough. Hopefully the side sleeping will come soon - I think it took me about a month to get there. What drove me nuts was having my feet upright (since I was told to keep my legs straight & not let feet fall out to the side) - under the covers! Plus my room at the rehab center was either 60 degrees or 90 degrees...ugh. Hang in there. Sleeping will slowly get better.

Keep with the "hopes." Each hope gets you to the next task. Don't worry about long-term (which at this point can mean 8 hours from now!). Focus on the fact that you're glad the surgery is over and the days keep passing. We will all "hope" for you today!
j
 
Thanks bone smart friends! Just finished PT and was happy with results. I walked about 1/3rd of a mile today with little effort. I pushed the bending a bit and got to 110 right 96 left. I am not really sure what this means ultimately, but it was better than last time, so I hope it is good. Tomorrow will be two weeks for me. I am resigned to sleeping in my lounge chair for the immediate future......it just works better for me. Have a good day all!
 
Hey, if it works, go for it. :sleep:
 
Limpynomore,
Your rom is amazing, keep up the good work :)
All my best.....diana
 
Day 14 post op. I feel less pain today and mostly just tightness. I have read that 3 weeks is the turning point which I am finally getting closer to. I slept in my recliner last night and feel so much better than waking up in my bed. The last 2 weeks have been trying at times, but are definitely doable as most BTKR's have noted in their experience. I am also quite happy with my decision to come home after surgery versus rehab. I have my husband and daughter here at home to help me. Recovery thus far has been at my own pace. I feel that I am giving my body time to heal without pushing.
 
Sounds like you are doing great, good work.

I have been using Roy's recommendation for a stretch using a skate board. My PT likes this approach and says she may bring it into her rehab clinic. See Roy, you are affecting our recoveries on this side of the pond as well!
Where shall I send the invoice for my fees?
 
Day 15. Slept in the recliner again. Walked 1.2 miles yesterday broken into 2 separate walks. Knees measure less than yesterday in circumference. I have been watching this measurement to see if anything I am doing is irritating my knees. So far, no. I have PT in about 20 minutes. It is currently raining, so I don't expect I will be walking outside right now. Nurse also comes today to remove my staples. So I have a big day on tap!
 
PT went well. I tried my recumbent bike today and was able to pedal all the way around much to my amazement. I did that for 10-15 times around before my left knee said ENOUGH! I was still pretty happy that I could at least make the rotations. Staples were just removed and it didn't hurt at all. After all this, I just stood up and the knees were painful. So in the recliner with ice is where I will be spending my next few hours.
 
Brilliant. Please (I may be preaching to the choir here...) remember that the bike is used just to gain ROM, not for training.
 
Thanks Roy! I had no visions of riding a mile or anything.....in fact I really didn't think I would be able to go all the way around! At what point in recovery would you ride the bike for any length of time?
 
As always, play it by ear. If riding causes swelling or pain, stop. No training as such until the knee is healed.

In my case it was about 2 months, and I think my recovery was pretty fast.
 
Agree Roy, your recovery was fast and impressive! 2 months sounds about right considering where I am at a day or two over 2 weeks. Your story was an inspiration to me and one that I hoped I could experience in my own way. I am definitely feeling blessed at this point.
 
Limpynomore,
You are doing great :) you actually walked & rode a bike. I am jealous....my high school just install a new
Out door track...I live for the day I can walk it. I also didn't cancel my gym membership. Hoping i can get
Back some day.
Have a great 4 th of July.....keep up the good work
Take care, diana :kittykiss:
 
Diana, you'll be there before you know it! Measured my knees today and both are up 3 cm.......no more bike for me for a while! That was the only thing I did different, so I know that I pushed it too far for where I am in recovery. How are you walking Diana?
 
Limpynomore,
Good think you realized the swelling& what caused it :) you Can ice & elevate & be just fine.
Bravo for listening to your knee. I don't mind icing, today the temp is 100 degrees in Boston (can you believe it) :shocked:
I hate the heat...I shovel snow barefoot, I still catching snow flakes on my tongue &make snow angels,
I am 53 yrs.old & feel like a child when it snows. I love nothing better than a nor'easter.
I am walking well....I limped for 10yrs....so after in. Home pt. I go to out patient pt. I will ask my therapist
Tomorrow about my gait.
Have a great 4 th
Diana :kittykiss:
 
Breakthrough!!!!!! I just tried side sleeping with a huge body pillow and I can do it! Good bye recliner at night hello bed! Ahhhhhhh!
 
Good for you Diana! Limping for 10 years was way too much. I think I have been Limpy for 3-4 years. Hopefully soon no more! We are on our way to a new improved life! Happy fourth to you and all Bone Smarties!
 
Woo hoo side sleeping and back to your own bed - a great milestone!! :yay:

It is being able to do everyday things that makes so much difference
 
Woo Hoo is right Puffin! I was able to sleep on both sides, however there was a mysterious deep pain in both knees while doing so. I only took pain pills once during sleep, so I was happy about that! I am still paying for the bike rotations today I think. I will measure later and see what I get. I did not sleep with ice as I didn't want to deal with all the tubes while changing sides. That could also be a reason for more pain today. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom