Bilateral TKR Limpynomore has reached the recovery side!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Luisa! Hmmm day 9 you say.....I am on day 6 post op, so 3 more days for me. Now that is something I can look forward to! My swelling still seems huge and tight even though me and the ice machine have a thing going. Meds are flowing right on time, I'm sleeping more than plenty. Patience, patience oh yeah.....that. Suzyblue, glad to hear that it will happen eventually......I was starting to feel like I was living Groundhog Day.
 
It's the morning of day 7 post op. I just climbed up my 10 step staircase to my room. It was okay, but I now understand Roy's explanation a lot better after doing them! Swelling is still my constant companion despite 24/7 icing. I am already fearing my PT today. I have been sleeping really good, so I am thankful for that. Planning my first shower this morning in my own shower. I will report back later.
 
Don't worry that you still have swelling even with icing. It will take a while to go down. just keep doing it. Happy shower.
 
Shower itself was great, however my bench is a few inches too low and I hit ten on the pain scale getting up. Did the stairs a second time yesterday in order to sleep in my own bed. We had storms all night long. I was completely stiff and had throbbing throughout my limbs. The pain pills didn't seem to affect it. Started the day with a person. Trying to rearrange my attitutude before PT shows up for torture. Seems everyday is the same as far as pain goes. I thought by now, I would see an inkling of improvement.....not yet! I just did a little work from home and at least it took my mind temporarily off my knees. I am definitely learning to appreciate the longevity of this recovery.
 
Can you wait to shower until your husband is available for a few days? He may be able to help ease you up and down a bit.

What pain meds are you taking and how often? Josephine may be able to advise.

my guess is work from home meant time with your feet down? That can cause more swelling and discomfort at your stage. I'd say keep your leg elevated and on ice a lot. (((Limpynomore)))
 
Trying to rearrange my attitude before PT shows up for torture.
What do you mean "torture"? don't you know this is forbidden under the BoneSmart terms of membership?

I have some questions to ask you:
1. what medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
2. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?
3. how high are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?
4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and
5. what kind of PT are you doing? How much and how often?
 
Hi Kneeper! My husband was here this morning. I just opted for a no nonsense quick shower which did not include sitting down. In and out! I have the luxury of working from home on my laptop, feet up, and knees iced. I just did what needed to be done and was done. It is good to keep my brain working somewhat. Took a short walk out to my garden today to see how it's coming along. I can't believe next week is the 4th already!
 
Josephine, I am on OxyContin 10 mg at noon and midnight. Every 4-6 hours 1-2hydrocodon-acetaminophen 10-325. I am taking 2 each hydro codon every 4 hours. My knees are iced most of the day with the exception of going to the bathroom. I have not been very good at toes above nose, but did this lat night in my bed for a while. Today is day 9 post op. I am not yelling at all or not very loud when I stand up, so this is a small improvement. PT is usually every day, but had today off which means I will have it again fri and Sat. Usually it includes some lifting of legs, ankle pumps, quad tightening, walking and some knee bending. My PT has let up on me some as far as the bending. I can get to a little beyond a 90 degree bend t this point. Of course the devil MUA has already been a topic of discussion by my therapist. I think they try to use it as a weapon. I do not feel that I am behind at all at this point and even mentioning this procedure feels like an insult at this point.
 
Hello limpynomore,
How are you, good i hope. I know what you mean by thinking the pain would be better by now. I have iced so much
I feel like a Popsicle. Everyone says i,m doing great rom 110- 0 after 4 weeks. Please don,t think of p.t as torture
They can only go by what you say goes.....be up-front from the beginning & speak your mind, do not waver in the bonesmart
Mantra.....you must have faith in yourselve, that you know the drill.
I am very proud to say I have never been afraid to say no, as a matter of fact, I kind of enjoy it...
My best to you....take care....diana
 
Thanks Diana! Good to hear from you! How are you feeling at 4 weeks out? I am thinking you are feeling much better than at 2 weeks out, yes or no?
 
Hi limpynomore! Sounds like you are moving along quickly! I am on the same meds you are but have been trying to lower alittle very slowly since I feel they may be whats responsible for my blues. I too had enormous swelling and dr gave me a lasix pill 1x to help decrease and it worked very well. Although knees have some swelling still its minimal and my ankles are almost normal. I had gained 18 lbs in 4 days! Lost it all now tho. Ice helps me and elevating. I ordered a wedge and use it onand off throughout the whole da.
 
Hey Luisa! Water pill sounds like a good option. I weighed myself this morning and weighed the same as prior to surgery. I have no foot or ankle swelling per se, but the knee is definitely tight. So you took 1 LASIx a day for only one day or you took it for how long? What mg of the drug? This would work in my favor on blood pressure as well as that is running higher with the pain. Thanks for your idea! You are 8 days ahead of me! I'm thinking I should have lost at least 5 pounds by now easily.
 
I only took the 1 pill of lasix, but I dont remember the mg. My ankles an calves, and even my toes were swollen. I was barely able to get shoes on that were once very looseon me. My knees still feel tight, especially after some exercising or longer walking. Im taking it slow for a few days until I start outpatient therapy. I had 10 days of acute care rehab so im just focusing on reducing swelling with some easy exercising until I go to outpatient which should be alittle more aggressive. Time seems to b going sluw sice I have been home.
 
Day 10 post op seems as if I have rounded the bend. Slept all night except for potty break. Swelling has come down 1-2cm per knee. PT I rank at a level 3 for pain during the exercises. I have been using Roy's recommendation for a stretch using a skate board. My PT likes this approach and says she may bring it into her rehab clinic. See Roy, you are affecting our recoveries on this side of the pond as well! I also walked about .15 of a mile today. Not too far, but I don't feel like ill be paying for it either. I think I might see a twinkling of light at the end of the tunnel.

Limpy (still)
 
Hi Limpy
Hang in there! You are in such early days and doing well. You're already walking more than I was at that point (but for some reason walking has been tougher for me than for others). Hang in there with the PT; it sounds as though she's listening as long as you let her know what's going on.

The whole shower experience can be tear-inducing in itself! If you are able to do a "quickie," that's great.

Today is my 12-week anniversary. There is still plenty of inflammation deep in the knee after I do anything, and I still ice 1-3x a day (depending on my activity level). My PT says this is not abnormal and to just hang in there.

You are making progress every day and healing is happening every minute of each day!
j
 
Thanks Jeanine! Are you still taking pain meds 12 weeks out, and if so what?
 
I unapologetically take pain meds when I feel they will help: if I have actual pain in the night, at the end of an active day if I realize I'm hurting, etc. I take hydrocodone and was about to try straight Tylenol only, but then managed to hurt my back so actually took an extra pill today. (The back did make me forget about my knees!)

One note: I would take ibuprofen or some such, but am prohibited from taking NSAIDs due to a stomach bleed last year, so my choices are either Tylenol only or prescription meds. I tried Tramadol last year but it upset my stomach. Lots of Bonesmarties at my stage are mostly taking over the counter stuff.
 
Day 11 post op. had physical therapy and walked a fair distance once again. I am stiffer today because I started backing off pain meds yesterday which wasn't a great idea. I will listen to my knees, I will listen to my knees. Anyway, accomplished a shower just after therapy and I am happily icing and reclined now. I am so glad I am 11 days in at this point and don't have to redo the first 10 days. I am also still very happy with my decision to do bilateral!
 
Day 12. Every time I wake up in my bed, I cry. The bed is so limiting to my positions, my back hurts, I can't sleep on my side yet, I can't bend my knees far enough to relieve lower back pressure. I guess I will stick to my lounge chair for the next week. Today I promised PT that I would let her push me. I hope this wont be a mistake. I also have to call os's office and get a pain pill refill. I hope this wont be a problem. I have a case of the "I hopes" today.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom