Bilateral TKR Limpynomore has reached the recovery side!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Limpy - you've achieved the side sleep! If you weren't on meds, I'd suggest a champagne toast.

I'm impressed with your walking - fantastic! Walking any distance has been one of the tougher things for me (multiple reasons) so I admire those who are already "going the distance" in the early days.

You are getting through that immediate post-surgery period and starting to see glimmers of the next stage. Yay!
j
 
Amazingly MissJ I am! I still don't know what ultimately is awaiting as it has been a pretty long time of chair sitting already. In fact I am chair sitting again today trying to get the swelling down from my experiment (bike riding) yesterday. Little by little this experience will be fantastic! Hang in there! You are about 10 weeks out? What improvements have you experienced since surgery?
 
Limpynomore,
You are doing so well. I also sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees. My problem is I get stiff
From not moving & wake up in pain, :gaah: sometimes crying :boohoo: I also wake up my hubby.
I have to reduce my pain meds( they make me cry) I only take 2 Percocet a day. I break them in half, I hate pain meds.
Can't wait to go to just Advil....can't yet with therapy.
Also, to be able to sleep through the night would be :angel: rom this morning 125-0.
Have a great weekend & keep up the good work,
Diana :kittykiss:
 
You ROM is truly amazing Diana! I think I woke up stiff a few times last night as well. It is still heavenly to just be able to get on my side. Why can't you take Advil yet? I can't because I am still on blood thinner shots. I hate pain meds too, but they certainly have their place in this recovery! I haven't cried for a few days now. My tears were more of frustration in not feeling any better when waking up. Sorry you have that side effect! Hang in there....all will be well and we will get through this and be all the better for it!
 
Day 19 update. I slept in my bed without ice last night and was finally pretty comfortable. Legs get stiff, so I change positions often. Slept in till almost 10 and went to bed last nite at 10. Some serious sleeping is happening! Contemplating a nap as I write. I walked .6 of a mile today, and hope to take another walk a little later. I would say that I am at a plateau of sorts, but I am comfortable and can do the things I need to do at this point.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Limpynomore has reached the recovery side!!!
sleeping more and more easily and being satisfied with where you are at this point----which is very, very early after your BTKR. I am very, very happy for you.


Take care, keep up the good work, and keep us posted. We care.
 
Day 20 I feel the same. Slept well in my bed again last night. I am going up stairs the "normal" way, but coming down whatever is the easier way. I am using a cane occaision ally.
 
Hooray! Lots of good things are starting to happen. The "little" things (like sleeping!) mean a lot.
j
 
Day 21. Stopped in to my work to do a few things and see my coworkers. It felt good to get out of the house even if it was to work. Stayed about 2 1/2 hours which included lunch. Back home now in my recliner and icing. I would love to walk outside, but the mosquito situation here in illinois is horrendous! If I walk it will be inside on the treadmill.
 
Limpynomore,
Doesn't it feel great to see co-workers :) how far do you walk....you are doing great, keep up the good posts :kittykiss:
I don 't walk at all yet. Right after p.t I tighten right up...so icing & elevating is my life now....I know it will get better &
I am not rushing the process :egypdance:
Thinking of you & continued success in your recovery....
Diana :friends:
 
Diana, it felt great to get out of the house and see real life! I didn't walk yesterday. I have PT in a few minutes here. I am still icing too.....about 6 hours a day. My swelling seems to be coming down day by day as I measure. It is a good reference number to be aware of. I have no idea what a normal number would be, but it is good to see the measurement get smaller. I have a friend coming to visit today, so I don't know that I will get any walking in today. Have a good day all!
 
Just finished PT and she measured me today. Right is 115 left is 110.....she said extension is zero without measuring. I should be released to outpatient care on Friday. I am very happy I opted to recover at home and not go to rehab. I feel like I gave myself extra time to heal without extra pressure and pain. Very happy!
 
Limpynomore ,
What :goodpost: your rom is excellent. You sound so happy about every decision you have made :happydance:
I think at this point visiting with friends & being out in the " real world"is much more important than walking.
I though I was the only one who iced so much :heehee:
Continue doing what you are doing....it's definitely working for you...
All my best......
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
Day 23. I just finished last at home PT. woke up this morning teary eyed for no particular reason. My body just feels tired and like it wants to rest. I am going into work this morning for a couple hours and will return around 1 so I can take an afternoon nap. I am also experiencing some back-up, so am taking milk of magnesia for that. Otherwise, I feel ok. I am thankful that I still have pain pills to get me thru this stage of recovery. I still get really cold at times and love to curl up in blankets! Best to all my bone smart folks recovering.
 
Wow Limpy you seem to be taking many steps forward at the moment - your ROM is great and going into work is a major change. So it's now surprising that you get exhausted and your knee complains every now and again with the additional demands
:friends:
 
Thanks Puffin, but I really don't think going to work for a couple hours is really taxing my knees. I do realize that I am not too near to returning every day yet. I am just trying to help out my co workers doing a few things that they are unfamiliar with. Just finished my afternoon nap and it was heavenly! I see the OS tomorrow and hope to get some answers as to when I can submerge myself in a pool.
 
WOW limpynomore, you are doing awesome! Your ROM is fantastic and the fact that you are even contemplating working for a few hours is truly incredible! I am no where near the thought of working! I am continuing to deal with problems with my meds and pain, but I have had quite a few really good days lately, so I am staying positive!
 
Good to hear Luisa! What problems are you having with meds and pain? At this point I would describe my pain as more of a deep ache and stiffness than anything else. I am still taking pain pills every 6 hours. Saw my OS this morning and he was very pleased with my progress. He is allowing me to get rid of the Ted hose at this point. No swimming for another week. Outpatient therapy starts next week. I still have 10 blood thinner shots to give myself. I will try to walk on my treadmill later this morning and maybe try a few rotations on the recumbent bike. I am feeling pretty good about where I am this soon after surgery. Best wishes to you all!
 
Day 27. I am doing much the same. I walked .6 mile on my treadmill. Sleeping has been plentiful. 10-12 hours at night with a daily 1 hour nap. My knees are still stiff and tight, but suspect that's just how this is going to be for quite some time. I go to my first outpatient therapy tomorrow. I am still not driving as I am still taking pain meds. I visited a grocery store and drug store yesterday which was exciting for me! I am walking using only a cane at this point. I have about 1 week left of the blood thinner shots. Little by little, I am getting there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom