Bilateral TKR Limpynomore has reached the recovery side!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear limpynomore,
Your :sleep: is impressive. Do you contribute it to getting out & doing more? Your walking on a treadmill :yahoo:
You are doing so much more than I am( not to compare) i have 2 more at home pt. then out patient pt for
1month 2 times a week. Hoping to return to work sometime in August, but will not rush. I only work 4 hours a night.
I really, really miss work......I work by myself & it was like my little haven :egypdance:
Keep up the good work...
Hugs coming your way,
Diana :friends:
 
:thumb: Limpynomore - you are doing really well with all of your different activities - so happy that you are improving so well. It is impressive that you are walking on the treadmill

Getting the :sleep: is huge as many of us are only managing a few hours at a time
 
No Diana, I contribute it to surgery and just needing the rest. Had my first ot today and have found out my extension is not all that good at this point. I rode a stationary bike and that was fine, but the left knee was really clicking away. The left side is still more swollen than the right, so I am hoping that is what is contributing to this problem. Otherwise, nothing earth shattering at my appointment.
 
Day 29. Woke up crying again. I don't know why I feel like this. I think everything is progressing as it should be, however I have this deep need to cry. Everything still feels achy and uncomfortable. I have cut pain meds to twice a day....morning and night. I have not taken them yet today. Is it the pain meds screwing me up??? I just feel so sad.
 
Josephine. In advance of the expert, I'd say don't cut back on pain meds if you need them, but take them to your prescription and by the clock. Pain will make you miserable.
 
Oh dear, oh dear!
Here are my famous questions ...
1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Limpynomore has reached the recovery side!!!
)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?
4. how high are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?
5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and
6. what kind of PT are you doing? How much and how often?



I'll be back! :wink:
 
Lots of people get emotional and weepy either from the meds or the stress of the recovery. But I agree with Roy, if you're that achy you shouldn't be cutting down your meds that much.
 
(((((((((( Limpy ))))))))))
Sorry that you are feeling emotional. I think that recovering from this major surgery is a very emotional time especially with the tiredness that comes with the operation. I think also that some types of pain medication - especially the opiates - make you feel more emotional
:friends:
 
Josephine, the pain level in bed this morning I would describe as a 3-4. I take hydrocodon 10-325 2 pills usually 4 times per day. I had cut down to once in the am and once before bed. Activity is basically just walking where I need to go. No real housework or chores. I get an afternoon nap most days and go to bed at 9:00 and arise around 7:00. PT has been very light recently. I have not been icing the last week as I had to return my ice machines. My legs are usually elevated most of the day, but not above my nose.
 
Dear limpynomore,
So sorry to hear about your pain. I think it's a combination of less pain meds & no icing machine :tantrum:
I cried everyday for the last month..you know.. Why me? I can't do anything....I'm crippled....the list goes on :boohoo:
I am on an anti- depressant & it stops me from going into a full blown :cry: jag. The lack of sleep & pain meds just adds
Into the mix. I hope Josephine can help......I will be waiting for her reply to you.
Hugs to you :console2:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Dear Diana,

I think you are right. I am icing again as we speak. Are you still icing as well? I don't think I need an antidepressant as it seems to affect me only in the morning. Who knows? All I know is that this is one long recovery! Hopefully by week 6 I will see an improvement. I miss my ice machines! Doing it the old fashioned way sucks! I guess I need the ice though cause it feels good! Thank you for your input to my issues. I know they are minor, but they don't feel that way first thing in the morning!
 
Diana and Limpy - Take heart. This IS a long recovery. Limpy, I did see a difference after 6 weeks - not some sort of miraculous ending of all of my tears, but at least a few glimmers of light. And I'm at week 15 - came home from work and iced!
 
After a while those ice machines are more of a pain than the pain they relieve! Heavy, sloppy, consume ice like crazy (or force you to devote most of your freezer to freezing little water bottles), tug on your knees and never get all that cold. I'm retiring mine for use as a travel cooler. I've been using gel packs, as well as a "Bonesmart Slushie" bag (1:8 parts rubbing alcohol:water frozen in several thicknesses of gallon-size ziploc freezer bags). The latter gets incredibly cold and like the gel packs can be refrozen many times. (I don't bother with frozen peas or corn--the slushie bag is cheaper, won't spoil if left out too long, and I have quite a few gel packs).

I'm only a week ahead of you--glad to see you've abandoned the notion of taking your hydrocodone 10/325 only twice a day! I'm still unapologetically taking 4 or 5 of them a day. Your knee wants what it wants, and if you don't stay ahead of the pain these first few weeks you will be even more swollen, achy and depressed than normal. Even if you choose not to do active formal PT (visiting or outpatient), you can't differentiate as easily between pain and discomfort when it comes to your gentle home exercises and you can end up looking for any way to avoid even the slightest bit of walking about the house. And that in turn sets in motion the cycle of misery and despair. It's way too early to be stoic!
 
Dear limpynomore,
No issue is minor...we are all in this together :friends: I ice all the time at least 4-5 times a day, for
What seems like hours. I really have no swelling, it helps with the pain :beg: my hospital gave me my ice machine
To keep. Maybe you can rent them from the hospital or.a medical supply place.
I had a crying episode this morning :boohoo: I'll explain later p.t. Is here...
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
Limpy, you will note I numbered the questions which means I would find it more helpful if you answered likewise, please?
 
Hello limpynomore,
I was just released from home p.t...rom 128-0 :happydance: I'm going to miss my p.t we got along great.
I start out p.t. On Monday 2 times a week for 1month.
My p.t commented on how well I am doing :SUNsmile: so my conclusion on the crying episodes is as follows......
1: lack of a good nights :sleep:
2: pain & stiffness wakes me up at night, when I don't move my leg it gets very stiff :groan:
3: stiffness in the morning ( maybe that's why you cry in the morning) do you feel better as the day goes on?
4: Percocet for pain
I can't wait till I am done with therapy :egypdance: & get on with my recovery.
Thinking of you & know it will only get better,
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
Day 34. Over the weekend I stopped taking pain meds. I am using Advil only at this point. I went to work this morning for 2 1/2 hours, had lunch, then went to PT. So the big news is I am driving again! Yeah! I had a good PT session with my original home PT. She provided a really good workout......so much better than last week when she was on vacation! So progress is steady......also, I am not using a walker or cane at this point. Best to you all!
 
Yay to driving!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom