TKR liam2015: 1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!

Congrats @liam2015, way to go!!! I am late on the LD discussion but here is what I found. I can't use it in the recliner so to back pain. It tears my sciatica up!! Same thing in bed except I can use it for about 30-45 minutes before it hurts. My hubby is having his left knee done in October so hopefully he can use it!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
haha thanks @kmak81230. maybe i taught him something. someone else on here mentioned that the Mayo Clinic was leaning towards the bonesmart way also. when i got into the car and told my husband, he said "you won"...hehe! go right ahead and do an extra minute on your bike. i'm behind today on reading up on everyone's posts but will catch up. :hi:
 
thanks @becticu ~ i hope your husband will be able to make use of it. even if it helps you elevate properly for a short time after you've exercised or you've been out, it will be worth it. my best friend has sciatica also; she never took time off work (as she could have) to treat it and now she's retired.:sigh: have you found anything that helps with the sciatica?
 
I love that everything is on your own terms! It is so great your surgeon got on board! You will absolutely get to where you want to be and you will feel great about it, again because you will do it on your terms. It is your knee afterall! Great job!
 
@liam2015, I could actually hear your sigh of relief! Your relief just might make that stubborn knee bend more, lol! Now I'll have an even happier July 4th with more reason to celebrate! :loveshwr:
 
Join the conga line! What great news, and you OS sounds like a caring and open-minded sort willing to learn new tricks. Recovery on your own terms is the way to go.
 
@liam2015 you asked about sciatica and treatment. I actually have a neurosurgeon that follows my back. I don't want surgery but I have had numerous epidurals that help. Sometimes they hold it for 2-3 years but with my knees being so bad as of late it hasn't helped. I use massage therapy to help and @knit2tog mentioned nerve flossing as something she has tried with some success. I have looked it up and tried it just today. There are numerous Utube videos on Sciatic nerve flossing. I was having a flair down my right leg and it went away. She probably should see a Dr and get X-rays so she knows exactly what she is dealing with and what level. That pain can be relentless!
 
Fabulous update. I bet witn your cycling, some pool work and I creasing your walking, you'll see improvements. I hit a major jump after all that forced walking in chicago. When the knee is ready, it will get stronger and more mobile for you!
 
Thanks everyone ~ i feel validated that my surgeon listened to my very quiet opinions which didn't align with his. I didn't think he "heard" me in those first couple of appointments, starting at the 6th week when i told him i had not started physio and he lectured me about being "stuck" at 79 degrees and wanted to schedule an m.u.a., that there was a "window of opportunity" up until around the 12th week. I'm so glad i knew what that was and right away i said "no" i would not, that i would improve gradually now that i had started physio. He made the point that i would not be able to improve on my own because by now (meaning the 6th or 7th week) i would not be able to push myself through the pain to get better r.o.m.

I am impressed that he spoke to his colleagues at Mount Sinai Hospital and learned that there is more than one way to recover. He told me he has been doing this for 15 years, (he only looks around 30):unsure: but has not done the surgery where you go back in and remove the scar tissue, which would have been another future option. I thanked him quickly as i was on my way out but previously i had told him that i was very pleased that my new knee felt so solid. Thanks again for everyone's support and information.:SUNsmile: I will keep you updated on my progress.
 
Your OS sounds very reasonable and willing to change his mind and look at other options. What a jewel he is!
 
Liam2015, you may have spoken softly, but your message was received loud and clear. I give your surgeon major points for actually discussing this with other colleagues and changing his mind as a result. Win/win!:happydance:
 
@liam2015 - what an amazing OS you have. A lot of surgeons are so caught up in their own ego they wouldn't dare ask another colleague their opinion.
And 95 rom is great. Prayers for continued success!
:thumb:
 
My almost 12 week update: It's 1 a.m. but i'm still high from going out to dinner tonight and then an outstanding show: Beautiful ~ The Carole King Musical. I remember all those songs growing up in the 60's and 70's and had no idea that Carole King wrote hundreds of songs for other musicians before releasing her own album, Tapestry, in 1971. We parked the car at the subway and took it downtown; 2 trains, lots of stairs going down. My knee was uncomfortable when sitting but not unbearable at all.

I had 2 more successes today: (1) i put on socks and running shoes and tied the laces myself (usually i go barefoot in the house or sockless going out, wearing slip on running shoes; (2) i stepped off our front step with the wrong foot and it didn't hurt; however, it's a very shallow step so maybe it doesn't count, but i'm counting it anyways.

Of all days, i have an early morning physio appointment and driving myself there; just hope i haven't joined the Overdid it Club (ODIC); am icing right now and will take an ice pack to bed with me and my Lounge Doctor. Monday night when i tried to go to bed, had turned off all the lights, had my icepack and who do i find sleeping in my spot: Prince Liam, of course. (Hubby has recently decided to have him sleep in our bed again, against our trainer's orders to have him sleep in the crate. He sleeps much better and longer in the crate but hubby wants him to sleep with us...sigh!) Anyways, i didn't want to disturb him, so i slept on the sofa with my Lounge Doctor and it was fine. I don't have anything more to report. Will catch up on everyone's posts in the late morning after physio. Hope everyone is well.
 
@liam2015 I am impressed that you did all the subway stairs! Good on you! I have tickets to see Beautiful on a July 26th and am looking forward to it although a little worried about sitting in those cramped theatre seats!
I have an appointment with my OS coming in a few weeks and am dreading it a bit. Although I had reached a ROM of 102 with pushing from my PT, I have since dropped back to 95 or so on my own. Hoping my own PT will help me get back there before my appointment in August but I too will not accept an MUA as the only answer. Good for you and good for your OS!
 
What a wonderful outing. I just love Carole King! Maybe you did overdo it a little, but tell us the truth... wasn't it worth it? Lots of rest and ice will put any knee grumbles behind you.

Hope Liam doesn't start thinking the bed is for him and not you (this happened to a friend).
 
Back
Top Bottom