TKR liam2015: 1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!

So glad your PT went well and you are seeing those increases! So which Liam walked who??
 
haha @becticu ~ good one. this time, it was this liam 2015 that walked liam, although hubby lets him pull a little. :dogwalk:when he was a year old we sent him to doggy boot camp ~ 4 weeks of boarding training with a balanced trainer over an hour away out in the countryside. she told us it would take 2 weeks to undo the training if we weren't consistent. well, we weren't consistent in everything, especially since my surgery, and we have undone a few things , okay a lot of things, but we have the tools. i feel safer now that i have this new, strong knee to keep me upright.
 
[Bonesmart.org] liam2015:  1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On! here is Liam, guarding the office lol! hubby took him to office for the first few weeks of my recovery. p.s. thank you to @SusieShoes for instructing me how to post a photo.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@liam2015 I'm so happy to hear of your great news from pt. Also, that your os is backing off , you're doing so good. It feels amazing when it starts going right doesn't it? :thumb:
Liam is just beautiful, glad you walked him and not the other way around.
 
Yay for dog walking! My guy is a tiny thing, but I still felt nervous about getting tangled in the leash so I didn't walk him last week when I had the chance.
 
thanks for the doggie compliments. my 6 y.o. granddaughter curls up with him if he's laying on the floor or sofa, as we do also. he's so gentle and velvety lol, at least when he's calm. had another successful walk but got soaked in the rain.
 
Wow, @liam2015, walking the wild pup is definitely a huge leap in function; kudos! My little 12 pound terrier (Pheebs) can still drag me down the street and she's 13 years old! Needless to say, I haven't been walking either dog yet, though the Pug is much, much easier. I've found small dogs are much more difficult to train for walking. My past, bigger dogs responded very quickly to training collars.

Congratulations on gaining 4 more degrees of ROM; whoohoo!
 
i walked him again last night, a longer distance, and kept him right by my side and walking at my pace...until...the inevitable ~ that darn bunny parked on the front lawn of my neighbour's house. it's a banner year for bunnies around here ~ maybe due to all the rain we've had and lots of greenery. anyways, they both froze and stared at each other, the bunny stared side-eyed, and we got home safely...phew! as i was walking down the hill, i started to wonder what the winter will be like, with the ice covered sidewalks and walking downhill; will have to get some of those spikes metal devices you can put on your boots. @Pheebs52...oh you have 2 dogs...wow; need a pic of the terrier! i'm guessing you can control the terrier when he pulls ~ in any case, be cautious. any dog can suddenly pull us off balance if something irresistible appears.:holysheep:
 
Liam is absolutely gorgeous! You probably get stopped by admirers all the time while walking him. My old girl, a standard poodle, likes to pull when walking, just enough to be annoying, but not in any rambunctious way. I'm working up to taking her with me again, with the understanding that if she annoys me too much I'll just leave her home the next time. I like to work on my gait, not on tugging her away from (or being tugged toward) interesting smells. At home, thank goodness, she's a total sweetheart.
 
@liam2015, we are also experiencing a bunny population explosion! The Pug just ignores them, but the terrier believes it's her job to warn us of their presence and eradicate them....good that she can't get at them!

Actually, it is the terrier that pulls me down the street and this was before TKR! My Vet told me a dog can pull 15x it's own body weight, so....she just about does! She's just 12 pounds of very high-energy muscle, even at the age of 13. My preference is to drive her to a woodsy park where she can run off-leash and eventually tire out. In the same park, Nemo will just stay with me, walking at my pace or slower, lol.

I have a pair of Yax-Trax, those cleated shoe gizmos and they work great in winter. I think I bought mine at an Eastern Mountain Sports, but I've also seen them at LLBean online and probably, REI. However, we'll both be so much better by then I don't think we'll feel intimidated by some ice and snow.:fingersx:
 
Huh, why am I not seeing photos of puppy Liam?

@Pheebs52 ~ look up....waaaaaaay up. (do you remember "the friendly giant" or was that children's show just in Canada?). it's in thumbnail form but you can click on it to make it larger, posted yesterday.

i am beyond thrilled. :loveshwr:just got home from physio and there was a box at my front door. it's "the lounge doctor" (delivered sooner than expected) and i have my legs up on it as we speak. thank you to everyone here on bonesmart that extolled the virtues of this device. also, thank you @Pheebs52 and @sistersinhim for the recommendations on the shoe/boot spikes. i never thought of using them on the grass, but great idea. a few months ago i did slip on the grass going downhill in my backyard and hurt my knee even more than it was. they will be great for the icy sidewalks in winter, especially walking downhill to my house.:dogwalk: have a lovely weekend everyone. it's our Canada Day 150 years long weekend. what days do you get off for the U.S. 4th of July weekend? be safe everyone.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I love my Lounge Doctor. I had it waiting for me at home when I came from rehab, and have used it every day since. Using it right now, in fact, icing after PT. It's holding up really well! I really think elevation has been one of the keys to getting my swelling down as quickly as it did.
 
Ha! I got my lounge doctor today also!!! It was perfect timing as I had a long day at work. Looking forward to a leisurely evening on the couch with ice and the LD. Happy Canada Day @liam2015. We celebrate the 4th on Tuesday but many will have a long weekend.
 
Back
Top Bottom