Guest viewing is limited

TKR liam2015: 1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!

so funny @kmak81230 ~ i tagged you on Susie's page about the lounge doctor, same time as i received your post. well you should have a wonderful long weekend, with the 4th falling on tuesday. happy 4th of July to you.
 
Does anyone use the lounge doctor in bed to elevate legs through the night? i was wondering if it was safe to do so, barring any medical condition?
 
I don't have the LD, but I have two other leg elevators that I used all night the first few months.
 
Hi @liam2015 - I have not - I think I recall @Pheebs52 saying she used it in the bed - but don't know if that was through the night. I am trying to sleep more on my side these days -- without much luck though :bored: - I can usually get by with just one pillow. But if I have too many more poor sleep nights I may give it a try - isn't it comfortable?
 
@kmak81230 and @sistersinhim ~ i used it last night in bed and had a great sleep, ditched it sometime later in the night. i found i didn't move around as much as both legs stayed in place. hubby was wondering if it was maybe too long to have legs elevated above the heart? i asked the question on the lounge doctor facebook page; waiting for an answer.
 
@Liam , I finally saw the photo of "Prince Liam," and must say, he is just stunning! No wonder you call him Prince! He's movie star material, lol! Princess Pheebs would love him 'cuz she goes for big, handsome fellas, lol. :doggie:

I have used my Lounge Doc in bed almost all night. At some point, I typically shift onto my side, but I'd say my legs (and the rest of me,) can easily remain in place for at least 4 hours with the LD. I don't believe there are any negatives to elevating for hours on end? I'll be very interested to see what you discover in that regard.
 
@kmak81230, what happens when you try to side sleep? Are you experiencing sharp, medial pain in a small area about the size of a quarter? Have you tried a more stomach oriented version with just a slight tilt to the side? That's how I started, with a pillow placed under my hips to keep the spine level. I have progressed from there, but have to have the OP leg on top and the knees out of synch with each other. The medial part of my OP knee does not enjoy touching my other leg.
 
@Pheebs52 yes the prince would love princess pheebs. i'll let you know if i hear anything. i'll be using it again tonight as it was so comfortable.
 
@liam2015, tell Prince Liam that Princess Pheebs is exceedingly frisky! I imagine he'd really enjoy that, lol.

I find the LD super comfy in bed and somehow, I think it helps me initially fall asleep. I'm normally a bit of a wild sleeper, but the LD seems to prevent that for the most part. Since wild movements and the TKR don't go very well together, this is a great perk!
 
Is this a dating site for dogs or what?!:dogwalk: @Pheebs52 - I don't have any sharp pain when trying to sleep just inability to stay in one position for very long - like you, my OP knee does not enjoy touching other knee so am also out of synch - I have an assortment of pillows for various positions but it's all getting to be a bit much. I do try the stomach version - have not done the pillow under hips but I have plenty of pillows so will give it a go - with the LD as backup. Advil PM works better than Tylenol PM for making me drowsy but not sure if I should be taking ibuprofen,
 
haha @kmak81230 and @Pheebs52 the prince is intact if you know what i mean and he's not experienced.:blush: getting back to our knees; i've tried sleeping on my side a few times but i get that pain on either side of my knee, so 10 minutes or so is my limit. the last time i tried, i must have slept awkwardly because the next day my shoulder blade was so sore that i couldn't look over my right shoulder to drive/check blind spot ~ i didn't drive that day. hope you're all having a good weekend. :hi:
 
Liam 2015, are you going to breed the Prince? He'd make some gorgeous puppies!

Kmak81230, ya know, I'll bet there are *dating websites for dogs* hah! Yes, of course there are. This just isn't one of them, lol.

Let's see...can't stay in any one position too long in bed ....because...what? Numbness? Pain? Feel like your lying on a lump of dirty clothing? (I did but now don't; phew) Back hurt? Hips hurt? Hair hurts? Do tell.
 
Liam2015, we don't have any particular plans for the 4th, but that's not unusual. I'd like to visit some friends or my brother, but they are all out of state and it's much too long of a drive on a holiday weekend with all the heavy traffic. So, we'll just relax at home in an almost empty city! We do have some local fireworks but I don't think I want to deal with the crowds this year. I think we'll take a walk, perhaps a pooch walk, through some very pretty, local woods tomorrow if it's not too hot and humid. Today was a sweatbox; not my kind of weather.

What will you be doing to celebrate Canada Day? Is it a fireworks, parade sort of holiday or a BBQ at home with friends and family? Maybe you feel just as I do and just want a quiet day at home, lol.

How about you kmack81230? Any big holiday plans? I have a friend who lives on the Front Range in the Fort Collins area and she's said fireworks are out of the question due to fire hazards, but they have small local parades and an auction for their volunteer fired department that always sounds like fun.
 
@liam2015, I sleep with my legs elevated on my Lounge Doctor all night and have done so since the first night at home. This is the only position my left knee likes. I would prefer to side sleep, but can only do so for short stretches. The LD is comfy all night for me, and I don't think I've suffered any ill consequences other than snoring when I sleep on my back.
 
I have more of a traditional wedge and I have slept with that the last few nights and ditched it for 2 pillows after my first potty wake up. It's def higher than my pillow,tower I used with the first knee. I can almost, kinda, barely side sleep. I hope to get back to that soon.
 
I hope all of you can transition to side-sleeping very soon. It's tough enough to be going through this recovery process without being able to sleep in the favored position; aarrggh! I don't really know how I managed to do it so early on, but am grateful that I did. These days, if my leg is swollen, I will start with my Lounge Doc. If not, it's right to the side for me. It's still a bit tricky to get in exactly the right position, but I've improved with practice. Of course, less pain makes a huge difference. Really, almost no pain lately, just that stubborn stiffness.
 
@Pheebs52, one of this prince is enough. yes, today is canada day, celebrations everywhere, parades in every city and town and fireworks going on right outside our door, kids playing in the street. liam doesn't mind at all, after all he was bred to be a gun dog (but isn't). watching canada day celebrations on t.v., showing celebrations from every province and the bands performing, immigrant stories, etc. my niece won a lottery of sorts, along with others ~ for $150. she can travel on the train to the east coast and then to the west coast for the month of july (150th birthday). she left today.

@SusieShoes and @Jennszoo, thanks for letting me know you sleep with your legs elevated during night sleep and no ill effects. i will continue to do so. i'll be watching your 4th of July celebrations in a few days. enjoy all the festivities, even if only on t.v.
 
Not sure how I would describe the inability to stay in position for very long at night - just achy I guess - and perhaps it is when I am a bit swollen -- might be good on those nights to use the LD to start with. And it always helps if I ice and elevate before bed.

We do have fire danger in CO this summer - very hot and dry - our county on the Western Slope is not under a fire ban and our town has nice fireworks (surprised you knew to say "The Front Range" Pheebs - you must be familiar with CO). If I get ambitious I may make a pie or some cookies for our church's pie and cookie booth. Will probably watch the fireworks at a friends house -- too many people to navigate safely at the town park - particularly after dark.

Hope you all are having a good weekend!
 
Happy 4th of July to my U.S. friends ~ hope you are enjoying and appreciating the holiday and the brave men and women that fought for independence.:thankyou:

I have some wonderful news to report. My surgeon released me today (11th week); only at 95 degrees r.o.m. but he asked me again if i was okay with continuing physio and improving at my own pace. of course i said i was. He told me that he consulted with his colleagues at Mount Sinai Hospital, where he trained (prestigious hospital here) and they said they weren't pushing people with knee replacements to recover so quickly with early physiotherapy as they had in past. Sorry can't remember the exact dialogue. I was happy he acknowledged that i didn't want an m.u.a. but, if in a few months, i wasn't happy with my r.o.m., that i was to let him know and he would either do an m.u.a. or surgery if necessary. He went on to say that everyone's expectations are different, nothing wrong with that and he didn't want to push his expectations onto me. When i told him that i was happy i could walk my dog again, he said "those were the important things......"

i should clarify that the 95 degrees r.o.m. is with him (and the physiotherapist) pushing me to that point, so i have a long way to go yet. i go back on August 15th for an x-ray. i will continue to go to physio twice a week, partly because i actually like the treatments lol. i will take a break in the fall when we hope to go on a vacation to sandbanks beach, with liam,:doggie: of course. maybe by then my r.o.m. will be complete. i know i'm a work in progress but i'm happy and relieved and i'm so thankful to "Bonesmart" and all you smarties for teaching and encouraging me through this journey.
 
Woot Woot!!!!! :dancy::spin::egypdance:Yeah Liam2015!!!!! Such a relief that must be for you. I know you have been so worried about these OS visits. How great of your doc to reach out to other experts -- some of these docs might be too arrogant to do so. Glad he listened to them and to you!! I'll bet you will continue to make steady progress with that worrying about doc visits and MUAs out of your head - YIPPEE!!!! I might just do an extra minute or two on the bike in your honor today!!! Enjoy!!!:cheers:
 
Back
Top Bottom