TKR liam2015: 1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!

More than a decade ago the internist who was supervising my non-functioning thyroid and was one of the few doctors in this region conducting research on the side effects of many medications in combination with thyroid substitution medication told me to avoid aspirin products. He also said take it half an hour before you eat breakfast, so first thing upon awakening.

Aspirin would not harm me but would affect the efficacy of Thyrex.
You cannot imagine how many times I've had to mention this to various doctors. Also at this last surgery. They had written on my chart "allergic to aspirin". I made them change it. And I told several of the docs who asked me why I wanted to have it changed, about Dr. O's research from 20 years ago.
A distant cousin, a doctor, also internist, at first very sceptic of this, now instructs his students about this.
Sometimes it takes decades until some medical news gets to our doctors.
 
Aleve actually helped with my arthritic, pre-surgical knees. When I had to stop taking it two months before surgery (for a dental bone graft), my pain increased a lot. Tylenol, the only drug I was allowed to take by my OS, didn't touch my pain at all, though I continued to take it just in case. It was a miserable two months.

Post-surgery, Tylenol has been great. No complaints there. It does help. But pre-surgery... useless. Funny how that works. I haven't touched Aleve since stopping it and don't plan to.
 
Back from physio and my r.o.m. has improved a little more. Just as i was getting ready to leave i got a text from hubby saying i would have to drive my car back from the car dealer where his car had been repaired. He would drive over with me from physio. I have only driven my new car twice, once back from the dealer and one other time, so i've been wary of driving it due to my still slowly recovering knee replacement and having not practised since the surgery 9 weeks ago. Anyways, i drove it home.:driver: My operated left knee didn't have to bend too much, so it wasn't painful at all. Hubby phoned his office and told them to get the cappuccino ready, he had something to celebrate lol...he calls it the cappuccino club...they have a fancy machine. i celebrated with leftover coffee from last night...hehe!:unsure: hope everyone has a wonderful, safe weekend with gradual improvements from surgery.
 
@liam2015, you were forced to drive and found out that it's no problem! Now, you have a lot more freedom! There's nothing like that first drive to the store to get groceries alone. You can use the motorized cart and take as long as you want because you aren't inconveniencing anyone else!

I have a new Tacoma that I drove only three times before my right ankle/foot break. I'll be so glad to get back into the driver's seat again!
 
@sistersinhim...wow, is a Tacoma a big pickup truck? i'm glad you're so confident. i was dreading getting back into the driver's seat with a new vehicle. i loved how the seat can be adjusted in so many ways so i don't need to sit on a cushion. it's a VW Golf Sportswagen, low enough we can put our bikes on top easily and dog can jump into the back. i was forced into driving today right after my physio so no time to get nervous and try to get out of it. i was mostly worried about how much bend my knee would have but it was fine, i could stretch it out a bit.

i should have mentioned, hubby was celebrating about my gradual increase in r.o.m. and told everyone at work (small firm, 2 of the employees are my sisters).
 
My Tacoma is Toyota's smaller truck of the two they have. It's really tall, so getting into it with this bad right foot and ankle will be a challenge. Until I can, I do have a Prius, which is low to the ground. I figured I could get into the car, take the walking boot off and drive, then put it back on before I get out of the car. I will have to wear the boot for almost a month and I want to be driving way before then! It's already been over a month since I've driven!
 
Thank you, but I am far from fearless! I'm a great big chicken! I just hate to have to rely on others all the time.
 
I also drive a tall truck with a small lift and bigger tires....that should be a treat when it's time to get up in there! Might need to carry a stool!
 
i'm happy to report that i reached one of my important goals today: i walked my dog for the first time since before surgery. hubby has been walking him after he has his run in the backyard. when we walked together the other day, my dog (liam) wouldn't "let" me take the leash lol, so today i decided to take him out on my own. he does his business in the backyard, so this is just a training walk, 2 training collars and not allowed to scent or pee. he walked great beside me (hubby has been slacking off in that regard) and i felt i could manage him if a bunny ran out or something irresistible distracted him. before my surgery, a neighbour stopped in her vehicle as we were walking half way down the hill; she opened her window to say hi and liam dragged me down the boulevard and i could only stop by hanging onto the branch of a tree...lol. i don't want that to happen again; hence, the training collars. he's still a puppy at 1-1/2 y.o. and can be rambunctious, so i've been cautious around him, especially when he runs around at full speed towards me and just misses me. i'm so happy i can take this job back again.

oh yes, and i had physio today, r.o.m. improved by 4 degrees since last friday. saw the surgeon for my weekly appointment and he said my extension is fine but he won't release me until i get to 100 degrees. he is accepting that my r.o.m. can be increased as long as it improves a little each week; whereas a couple weeks ago he was saying it was "stuck" and i would need a m.u.a. thank goodness if found this site ~ i had never heard of m.u.a. before reading it here. thanks for everyone's support.:doggie:
 
Yeah for you @liam2015!! Congrats on the dog walk and on the ROM improvement!!! Glad you know all the tips to walk the dog safely. Hope you can put that MUA out of your head (and the OS's head) for good! Like you, this support group has been a blessing for me . . . :flwrysmile:Have a great rest of the week now that your OS appt is behind you. As a nonbender myself I kind of dread the surgeon visits. I have 4.5 weeks until my next one :yay:.
 
Hooray for Liam and @liam2015! My dog is a puller, so I have waffled on trying to walk her yet. She's also 13 years old, so you can see I've given up on trying to train her. My next dog will learn to walk properly. Training collars, you say? I'm on it. Please don't get pulled down the hill on your new knees!

I'm glad your OS has stopped talking MUA. He has his goals; you have yours. You'll reach 100 and beyond! But all that talk of MUA has got to stop. You're doing great.
 
Back
Top Bottom