TKR liam2015: 1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!

@liam2015 joining the chorus of relief for you and your ROM worries!
Just curious about your experience with Celebrex. I've been taking 200 mg daily for a mo th now but it does NOTHING for my non op knee (which is going to need replacement sooner than later) and I'm thinking of ditching it in favor of ibuprofen.
 
I found Celebrex very helpful pre-surgery. Due to mild hypertension I could only take it in short bursts unfortunately. Ibuprofen is a bit nasty on the body so I took long/short acting paracetamol.
 
@keefsmom...i was really grasping at straws asking my surgeon for a 2nd prescription to Celebrex. i had it when i left hospital and didn't know entirely what it was for. somehow i thought it was for managing breakthrough pain and i sometimes took one in the middle of the night if i wasn't due for the percocet and it actually did help me get back to sleep. i wasn't taking them properly which should have been twice a day after meals. well that wouldn't have done me any good since i wasn't eating. my family doctor told me it would help with the inflammation and pain and it wouldn't be so hard on my stomach as some other meds. i couldn't take Aleve. i don't know if it's helping or not, my swelling never seems to change but maybe it is on the inside. i'm taking a chance hoping that it is helping in some way.
 
Good morning! I'm glad your appointment went well and he isn't pressuring you for the MUA. I too am one of those slower ones with this knee so I understand the pain and frustration. Take one day at a time, maybe an hour at a time and if that doesn't work take a minute at a time. I'm preaching right back at me when I say this. As my daddy used to say, "easy preaching, hard living". :heehee:
 
@Lisa1950 Your appointment went amazing, I'm so happy for you.
I'm glad you'll be able to sleep, I've found sleep makes all the difference, although with this recovery it can be elusive.
Maybe your talk with the nurse helped. And I'm sure it helped that you're making progress, maybe that's all he was looking for.
Congratulations :happydance:
 
liam2015 - my flexion and extension are not too good either. The extension tends to feel better than the flexion. There is not a ton of swelling, but things just feel very stiff when I walk or bend.
 
I tried Celebrex before my surgery but never helped. My doctor prescribed it for after a month post op twice a day with an aspirin each time. She said studies show in the first month it's helps with reduction of swelling. I personally don't think it did much but I took it all. She didn't renew it.

I can't see or really even feel a huge difference in my swelling but I know it must be going down because my ROM is definitely improving.
 
@Celle I used to be a big user of ibuprofen. I never had any stomach issues with it and thought it was the best thing for all my aches and pains. That is until I had this surgery and learned about Tylenol from this site. I always thought of Tylenol as a "wimpy" drug but now I find it works way better than the ibuprofen ever did.

This is probably one of the most important things I've learned from Bonesmart! I will have this new information to use from now on and I've passed the things I've learned about it to friends who have had other kinds of surgery or everyday aches and pains as well.

:thankyou:
 
NSAIDS have been known to cause catastrophic stomach bleeding, and not just in people who have been taking them long-term. They act on the platelets in your blood and impair their ability to clump together as the first step in stopping bleeding.
I was prescribed Ibuprofen once, in the early days of my knee arthritis. My knee bled and I developed a huge bruise that went all the way up and down the back of my leg, from buttocks to ankle. Never again!
 
good to know. after i finish this bottle, i won't get a repeat.
 
@Celle i never knew ibuprofen would do that to you.
Before my surgery I quit taking ibuprofen and took aleve for pain at night because it lasted longer. I know aleve is an NSAID, but is it as bad? I hope not because it really worked for me.
 
@Mister ~ i don't have the answer but hopefully we won't have to take them for too much longer.
 
All the NSAIDS have the potential to cause bleeding. I think it's a bit of a lottery. Most people are lucky and don't have any problems at all with them. but others aren't as fortunate.

They are a useful medication in some circumstances, but I feel they are often used casually, as a sort of cure-all. My husband recently had an examination that showed he has a small stomach ulcer. The anaesthetist prescribed Ibuprofen for him afterwards. When I queried it with the surgeon, he said "On no. He shouldn't be taking that, of all things!"
 
I do know that the NSAIDS carry risks but nothing works on my arthritis pain like ibuprofen, nothing. With any luck I'll get a cortisone injection in my non op knee on Monday and won't need to rely on the ibuprofen for the next couple of months--until I bite the bullet and schedule the RTKR, :scary:​
 
Despite a medical history that includes ulcers and a leaky heart valve, I can't tell you how many times different doctors have suggested Nsaids for me. Uh...no. As a patient, I often wonder if my docs ever look at my medical history; sigh.
 
Back
Top Bottom