Guest viewing is limited

TKR Leisa's 6 months post TKR update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear everything went ok for you Leisa. Did they tell you how many times you have to go to PT now? I know my therapist thinks I need a MUA, but I want to try another therapist and do some massage therapy first. Keep us posted how you are doing.
 
I had therapy today (fri) and it really wasn't bad. I made sure I had a pain pill first. The super tight feeling I felt across the top of my knee is gone. Although I have some swelling, the knee moved more freely. I have 4 PT's next week. M-F.. only taking one day off. I'm riding the recumbent bike 10 minutes 3X a day, at home and a few simple stretch/flex exercises. I really expect to be rocking it in 3-4 weeks.
 
[thought I would create a new post. I hope it helps someone facing an MUA]
Had my MUA on the left knee last Thursday. I was 7 1/2 wks post tka.

Pre-MUA my extension was 3. Flexion was 65-70 on my best day (& after 40 minutes of stretching and coaxing) usually went back to 50 or so when I return home from PT. Leg stays very stiff despite my home exercises and PT 2X per week.
**Surgery 34+ yrs ago left me w/large amount of scar tissue.

Post-MUA, ext. 3-5, flexion achieved 114 degrees. I expected a good deal of pain and bruising, but no bruising at all and I generally bruise easily. Nice surprise. Completed as outpatient service and got home mid-morning. Stayed on top of pain w/meds, RICE. Friday the pain was mild to moderate, easily controlled w/hydrocodone. Sleeping was not a problem either. Saturday afternoon I had lots of swelling (watched very closely) RICE and within a couple hours the swelling began to subside. I rested the remainder of the weekend only riding my recumbent bike 3X daily for 10 mins. each time.
Today is Tuesday and I had PT Mon., today and am scheduled for Thursday and Friday. I have decided my therapist is evil and more than likely has gone over to the dark side.
When I wake in the mornings I'm not as stiff as before mua, it's easier to get into my normal gait BUT the weakness in and around the knee joint has made me feel 'insecure' walking in a crowd or on uneven surfaces. I also find myself forgetting about the need to 'continue a normal gait' and I start holding the leg in a bent position (as if my body is protecting it) and I can get around faster and get more done. :angel: bad idea. Physical Therapists told me to go back to my walker whenever I needed it to stay in my 'normal gait' and rolled that foot and force my knee to engage. (amazing to me how your body compensates for shortcomings) Tomorrow (wed.) is my day off and I plan to meet a friend for lunch and rest the remainder of the day (except for my home exercises)
If I had it (the MUA) to do over again, YES I would do it. It has given me a freer movement and the tight pain across the top of my knee following TKA is no longer there. I reached 95 degrees today at PT within the first 15 minutes of working. The leg is not as tight (swollen) as my day continues and I am finding the swelling is less and less w/each passing day.
Moral of the story: I was dreading, scared and anxious about the MUA. What if it didn't work? was very painful? they could have broken my leg?
It gave me freer movement and hope to eventually reach my goal in time, of 125 degrees. (that's a personal goal I set for myself. No OS or PT told me to do this)
I think you have to work hard and do everything humanly possibly to get normal movement back or otherwise, ... what's the use.
 
Sounds like it was the right thing to do - good news! By working hard and doing everything humanly possible, I assume you include in that working hard at not doing too much! :)
 
Glad the MUA has made a positive difference for you. Do remember that you still can have swelling inside your knee even if you cannot see it on the outside. You need to baby that knee for a few weeks after the MUA....take things slow!
 
Oh yea, I am taking it easy. You know you reach that place about week 6 where you go "Oh, I get it now" and you know you have to wait on the knee. I have decided my only job is taking care of this knee and my sweet husband is so helpful, my daughter has been coming up and cleaning the house, so I am so blessed. Besides the PT and riding the semi-recumbent bike, I am working only on my sewing/reading :) Time to get some Christmas gifts finished. I will admit though, I sure am missing my horses. All I can do is stand and brush occasionally. . the fall trails are my favorite. I guess I will be bundled up in winter riding.
 
Great report Leisa!:goodpost: I am so happy that you are pleased with the outcome of you MUA. Stay well my friend!:friends:
 
Good going, Leisa. I have a feeling my consultant will say I need an MUA, when I see him next week. I'm not scared of this like I was the actual TKR though and I think most people who have one, come out on top. I am so glad you have :flwrysmile:
 
Merry, I would imagine she had a GA, most do. A very few surgeons prefer to use a spinal.
 
I had MUA at 3 mnths. Was worried about pain and swelling afterwards but found I had neither. Had general anaesthetic but no real drowsiness or sickness after as was only under for 10 minutes so had very little anaesthetic in my system. I walked into the hospital with 75 degrees flexion and out of the hospital after a night on a CPM machine with 120 degrees.
 
I bet you get 125. Don't let yourself forget that it comes slowly, and that gentle stretching IS the BEST KIND of working hard. Don't actually work hard (strengthening, extended exercise). The point is to focus on range of motion to keep the adhesions at bay.

It's so wonderful that you shared your success to give heart to others.
 
Glad to hear everything went so well for you. Gives hope to others who may need one.

Can you describe a bit more how bad the pain was afterwards? Hugs!
 
Leisa,
Bless your heart! I'm so glad that everything worked out for you. I hope that your recovery is super easy!!
 
Congrats Leisa, glad the MUA was a success. I had mine at 3 months, had spinal anesthesia, and went home same day. OS said he heard loud pops and knew I needed it. I had swelling and the joint did become more swollen since pt starting in pushing really aggressively right away. I believe it is best to do as you are, slow and easy, control swelling, gentle stretches. If I had done that, perhaps I would have maintained what I got out of the MUA.

Be well,

Dawn
 
I am so happy to read this thread. My MUA is scheduled for the 15th and all the fears and anxiety you have listed above are exactly what I have been experiencing. So glad it exceeded your expectations.:happydance:
 
I know my old therapist was telling me I would need MUA when I was only at 4 weeks already. Switched to a different pt this past Monday. She said no, not yet. I am at 100 flexion. I was in the hospital with my husband for his surgery and I had time to I went up to the orthopedic clinic where my surgeon's office is. I talked to his secretary who know my case very well. So I told her what was going on and that I switched pt and was worried that if I need MUA about getting it scheduled and she asked me if the doc had said anything about it to me and I said no. So then she asked what my flexion was and I told her 100 and right away she said that doc won't do an MUA on me if I am at 100 now because of my arthritis too. So looks like I will just have to be patient and keep working this.
 
If you don't have one already, get a "rollator" type walker (four larger wheels, hand brakes, fold-down seat and basket or storage bag built-in). It folds to not much larger than a plain frame wheeled walker, costs $100 or less (Costco, Sam's, Amazon.com or your chain pharmacy), and has a nice sturdy seat for when you get tired on strolls or want to sit down for food prep. Far more durable and suitable for outdoor use, and allows you to use a normal gait instead of subconsciously compensating for balance. (Get the 4-wheel, not the 3-wheel type, as it's sturdier and stabler).
 
I used my dad's 4 wheeled walker and it was great. I could haul everything on it. seemed so much more stable then the two wheeled one and didn't get away on me either.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom