Guest viewing is limited

TKR Leisa's 6 months post TKR update

Status
Not open for further replies.
110 is very acceptable when you've had a life limited to 75, huh? I'm glad that you are happy.

I still claim you will get more ROM when you stop trying. So get your 110 and surrender. A couple of months after you surrender, you will be pleasantly surprised. It just takes those muscles time to come around. They don't seem to understand our goasl!!!
 
Happy anniversary! I'm happy you're happy. My RTKR was not long after your surgery. But I also thought I was five months. Odd.
Slow and steady wins the race.
 
Oh Mary, I absolutely agree.. four months ago, none of this was even on the horizon (or that's how I felt).
If you notice I said "with ease" .. I guess I should have said, I hope to be at 110 by Christmas. (my type A personality is showing) You are right, you must settle in and accept the process... :)
 
Leisa, how wonderful to hear from you and know that you are progressing. I know it's sometimes not as fast as we'd like, but that is the nature of the beast! It's always good to put things in their proper perspective and look at the long term improvements. I'd say you are doing really, really well for 4 months out. Wait till you see where you are at a year!!
 
I know this is not in the right place, couldn't find my own thread : p
[FYI- injury in 1979 damaged left knee and both ankles broken in multiple places]

Hi to All, haven't been here in a little while. Where to start?
I was progressing well and didn't mention it here but at about 5 months I began to go backward. My knee was getting weaker all of a sudden, could not extend it to carry me up stairs, loads of swelling, pain again and I was terrified. I imagined my implant settling into my bones .. all things race through your head. I had a neuroma on the outside of my leg a while earlier and it was coming along w/therapy and husband massaging it several times a day. Went back to the OS and they checked everything. Bones excellent!
I have joined the gym at the PT place. (cheaper than pt and they are there to help if needed) Diagnosis:
My anti-inflammatory (Mobic)doing nothing for me/changed to Relafen. (tremendous difference in the swelling in 8-10 days)
Nerve damage from 1979 is taking longer to return to function than expected. (be patient)
PT exercises added for (*deformed) left ankle, not allowing a full ROM when walking, thus not working muscles in thigh properly. (*2 surgeries on ankle after 1979)
Stop ALL weight training on legs. No leg extensions, no curls, no presses.
Walk on the treadmill and ride the semi-recumbent bike ONLY for my legs at the gym. Seems I have been working maybe too hard (I swear it didn't feel too hard, it felt like I wasn't working at all.)
I am released to ride my horses again but not galloping up and down hills. Riding actually feels really good as it flexes my knee.
I still have heat in the knee, so I continue to gently press for more flexion. I am at 110-115.
So, that's me. Praise God, no more weakness and nothing I can't get over.
I am back to wearing low heels (won't ever return to high heels) comfortably and have a little stiffness only when I have been sitting for a while.
I have been dealing w/this knee for almost two years (pre and post). It's indeed been a journey. I will be 7 months post the first of March. I will come back and post again, if I can find the darn thread. Thank you guys for asking about me. I really appreciate you :thankyou:
 
You can find your own thread from your profile page; look under 'information' and all your threads are there.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Leisa's 6 months post TKR update
​
 
Seems I have been working maybe too hard
No really? How many times do I read that on here? :wink: :heehee:
I still have heat in the knee, so I continue to gently press for more flexion.
I don't quite understand the connection between these two statements. Having heat in your knee is perfectly normal, it's a sign of healing and can go on for a few more weeks yet. But why does the heat make you continue to press for more flexion? A good walk will have just as good an effect so long as you make sure you do the heel, toe, heel, toe gait.

[Bonesmart.org] Leisa's 6 months post TKR update
 
Thank you Roy Gardiner for kindly reminding me where to find my other thread.
Josephine, thanks for merging the threads. Yes, I understand why the knee is warm and that it can continue for some time. My OS directed me to continue my bending exercises, citing 'while still in a healing phase' I will get a better result as opposed to years later. :) It is winter in Alabama, which means one of two things, either too cold to walk outside or raining. Happens to raining now, which is why I use the treadmill. Looking forward to spring.
 
Always good to hear from you, Leisa. Sorry you had a worry there, but good to hear that you are a bit happier now. Your flexion sounds good to me.

Last time I was at physio, two weeks ago, I was at 95 by myself, so she discharged me, although I still go to physio at the local hospital, but I suspect she will also discharge me when I go next week. So you can understand why I envy your 110.

Keep us updated when you can. Take care for now.
 
Leisa, I'm glad I found your recent post; I've been looking for info about several months post surgery. I'm sure glad that things have improved for you since the set back you mentioned. Sounds like inflammation was a big culprit. I also hadn't ever heard of the neuroma issue, so that was enlightening. I look forward to hearing about future updates.
 
KathyH, you will get there. I am grateful for my 110, really I am.

Terry, smart to look for all the info you can find. I found this site very helpful and understanding members. I had lots of scar tissue/required MUA, plus my old damage seems to have caused a great deal of my problems.
 
Hi !! I just had to respond to a fellow horse person !! I am 11 wks out from a RTKR and I got cleared to ride at 7 wks out (light walking rides). I was so depressed and was crying my eyes out at my appt that day, that I think my dr just really thought the riding would be of more help for my emotional state. I will be so happy if I can eventually ride without pain and stand to groom without having to sit every 15 min. My biggest thing is that I am so afraid of hurting this new knee that I find myself doing everything so slow and being extra cautious around the horses. :puppysmooze:
I am still trying to figure this new knee out. I am still not sure of the limitations I need to impose upon myself, as I am the world's worst patient !! LOL !! This site has been a blessing for me. I often feel like I should be able to do more than I am. I come here and read, then realize that I am actually doing great ! I still have pain if I walk too long, the knee still gives way some, and I can't ride like I want. Overall though I am feeling really blessed.
I hope you have continued good healing and are able to enjoy those wonderful trail rides this spring !! I am so looking forward to some warmer, sunny weather so I can ride and groom my 5 babies !!:SUNsmile: :egypdance:
 
Leisa, so glad to see you again! I'm sorry to hear about your set back, however try and stay positive it will get better! Remember the pain you were in when you went on that business trip before your surgery, well you are that much more ahead kiddo! Keep your chin up and keep your eye on the prize my friend!

Stay well and take care!
 
Oh Jackie, you are so sweet. I do remember being miserable before surgery. I am so thankful that I had the surgery. I am truly blessed, it's getting easier every day. :friends:
horselover, That first time back on my horse was heavenly! I was just as you describe.. very cautious and afraid of hurting my knee. (My mare knew it too, she was so careful) If I'm going to ride for more than an hour, I wear a neoprene sleeve on my leg. (OS suggested it) It makes me feel secure. (just in case she decides to hug a tree) We will be riding all day Saturday!
 
It's so awesome that you were able to get back on your horse and enjoy it, plus she was gentle with you! Enjoy your Saturday my BoneSmartie friend! Life is great after knee replacement! :thumb:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Leisa's 6 months post TKR update
Oh, Lesia, I am so pleased for you---back riding again. I can just imagine how magical that is for you. What a lift to your spirits!! Makes all this really seem worthwhile.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Leisa's 6 months post TKR update
 
Where does the time go? Let's see now... 8 months post tka on Friday. Still taking the Relafan anti-inflammatory. I am to the point now where I have begun to think of things 'no longer' happening. After doing a little dance the other day w/a baby in my arms and a dog deciding to mambo under my feet- I realized my balance is back! I didn't notice when it slipped in, but I'm happy to have that old friend back with me. Still riding the horses w/o any problem. My dismount is comical, it is so slow and I ride a 16.1 hand mare so it's more like a crawl down than a dismount.
I found it harder and harder to get to the PT gym to work out, just a convenience issue. I am doing everything at home now. I am still having some nerve issues but they are getting less frequent.
Daily: I ride the bike, either walk 30 minutes or (if I ride horses that day I skip the walking) I do my extension/flex stretches and a few others. A few on the ball.
I feel like I'm getting my life back finally. The biggest issue for me right now, seems to be shoes. I want cute shoes and I have no desire to wear 4" and 5" heels. It's hard to find low heeled (pretty) shoes these days. The hunt is fun though.
I hope everyone is progressing well and if you are new to bonesmarties... just know that Jackie is right, there IS life after TKA.
 
Good to hear you are doing so well, Leisa. Yes it is hard trying to find pretty low heel shoes. Don't know why there aren't more choices. Everyone can't wear high heels, I know.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom