Guest viewing is limited

TKR Leisa's 6 months post TKR update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am 2 1/2 months post TKA. My flexion is good, but my extension is not and I walk with a limp. My surgeon wants to do a MUA on this coming Tuesday and I am terrified. I have been somewhat relieved by reading the posts, but would like the following feedback from others who have gone through the MUA and are well on the other side. My surgeon said he would keep me in the hospital overnight and possibly for a second day. My biggest concern is pain control. This doctor only prescribes hydrocodone. Is 10 mg hydrocodone enough for pain control at home? How long were you on pain meds? How painful was the physical therapy? Did anyone have a cast or "papoose" put on their leg to keep it straight? The surgeon said he might and it would stay on for a week. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!
 
Leisa, great follow up report, congrats! It's so good of you to come back with this to share with others! I wish you the best for continued improvement.

Irishlady, please don't be terrified. And KathyH, this is for your pt as well....this is not a painful procedure, no where near the pain after TKR. I assure you, there is nothing to worry about. MUA can be the answer when you are stuck and can't seem to gain any ground with flexion or extension.

In my case, I was supposed to stay overnight but was sent home because they had no beds for me. I managed the pain with oxycodone. It is very important to control swelling right after, just as it is in any case. I found getting ice all the way around the knee really helped. As the swelling goes down you will see improvement in rom.

I believe they bend and straighten your leg during the procedure to break up the adhesions. It takes very little time to do this. my OS said he heard several loud pops and knew he had broken up the scar tissue. Just remember to control your swelling, that is key. Pt should not be painful after MUA, same guidelines apply, do not let them hurt you. Slow and easy, ice and elevate. I had an MUA a very long time ago after ACL repair, as I was missing extension. The OS put my leg in a cast after that procedure for several days. The downside to that is you can't ice it.

Laf, I live in Windsor, vt. I had my TKR done at Valley regional hospital in Claremont, my OS operates there and he is the best! Did you have your knees done at Fletcher Allen? You are almost 3 months out, which is the time to start considering this as an option. When you see the OS, ask lots of questions, even if it seems silly. It's so important to know what they will do, what pain meds they will give you etc.

So, bottom line, MUA is not to be feared. It can be the answer to stubborn issues. In any case, don't give up. There is an answer to get your life back. It might different for each of us, but there is an answer.

I wish you all peace and comfort for better days,

Dawn
 
Hi Irishlady, Welcome to your international BoneSmart family, great that you have joined.

Would you like to start a thread of your own in the Knee Recovery Area, we try to encourage new members to do this as you will get more members visiting your thread.

I am a 'hippie' so just visiting form the other side of the forum :)

Once again welcome :)
 
Leisa, thank you for sharing your MUA experience (and others that have added your experiences as well) I am scheduled to have an MUA on Wed the 14th. My OS said I'm in the grey area as to whether to do one or not - can get to 90 on my own after heat, working, tens, w PT's help can get to 95-97 flex still at -10 extension. We did get to close to 110 a few weeks ago but it has gone backwards and not improved. Because I'm a week past 3 months and he won't do it past 4 months, he's decided to do it.
I'm a bit anxious about it but after hearing about your experience I'm a bit more relieved to go forward. The only thing I'm a little confused / concerned about, I asked the scheduler for his office how long I'd be at the hospital and she said, he normally schedules 1/2 an hour for the OR but for you he wants an hour - then you'll probably spend up to an hour in recovery. And I have to go to a pre-op appointment tomorrow.
I'm glad your experience was so positive - I will definitely follow your recipe for success - of just PT stretching, exercise bike, icing and resting. He put me out of work until January 7th...hopefully plenty of time for huge recovery and progress.
 
tuli, I read all I could find about MUA on this site and it calmed my fears. Kathy, before MUA I was only at 75 degrees at most & that was w/lots of hard work & pushing (+ pain meds). My OS told me IF the MUA didn't work, he would clean out the scar tissue(that same day). My procedure was done at a surgery ctr. and I went home the same day. OS said my leg settled at about 114 degrees. I also had 6hrs a day on CPM for 4 wks/6 hrs a night on dynasplint.

What I've learned is I didn't do anything wrong and if I'm NOT at 130 degrees and turning somersaults, its okay. We all progress at different rates. I only have 106 or so degrees flexion now, but I plan to keep pushing.
 
That 106 will be 116 by end of year and further in 2013. At least that's what happened to me. And it occurred without "pushing." It just happened. Stick with the gentle slow stretches and you'll be quite surprised at the results.
 
Thank you Dawn and Leisa for your most helpful posts on this subject. Leisa, at 11 weeks I am only 75 flexion too, but bearing in mind I didn't start physio until I was 7 weeks out, I suppose this has had a great bearing.

I will do what I can to avoid the MUA (this will be decided by my consultant when I see him or one of his team on 6 December) but I can only do my best, I can't perform miracles, unfortunately :heehee: However, the thought of me having an MUA doesn't actually scare me, not if I know it can help my flexion improve in the long run. Rather, if it helps me enormously, then bring it on :thumb:

Josephine I wonder whether we can have this thread as one of the main topics, as it is quite a popular one and extremely useful for those having an MUA?
 
Maryo52, that is very encouraging.. I hope to get my flexion to 114 or more. I think I would do backflips! Kathy, hang in there. You have a good attitude to wait and see what the consultant says in Dec. Good for you. [before the MUA, my leg just felt like a tight rubberband. It would stretch, but then pull back as soon as I finished therapy and it was getting worse by the day. That's the reason OS wanted the MUA done at 7 wks.]
Thank you Janet, I've had a few days of tears and frustration but I am at the place where I realized I no longer have any arthritis and that is a wonderful feeling and I have good insurance (my copay for PT is only $15per session) I'm just very fortunate and will be happy no matter my situation or feelings. (plus, I am far enough out from TKA not to be aching all the time) Have a good weekend ladies! (I'm resting!)
 
Josephine, I wonder whether we can have this thread as one of the main topics, as it is quite a popular one and extremely useful for those having an MUA?
:scratch: It's already a stand-alone thread, Kathy. Did you want it something else?
 
My extension was helped with the MUA. I come in to PT with an extension of -3 but I get to -0 after. Today I came in with 90 for flexion..after 103 so we all have to realize that there may be dramatic changes from day to day. Difficult for me to comprehend as I want every day to show progress.
 
Josephine, I meant could it be a 'stickie' so that it doesn't go down the pages if it isn't commented on for a few days.
 
Update: 4 months ago today I received my new knee. I'm so happy I'm here and not 'there'. A couple bumps in the road since I last updated. I had a night of incredible pain about 3 weeks back and OS determined I had a neuroma on the outside lower leg, where the little bundle of nerves are. (knee was weak all over again) We decided my best course of action was to back off the intensity of therapy and increase the stretching and massage on the leg. So, I dropped the strength exercises for a little more than 2 wks, started back on Mobic for inflammation and besides therapy my husband was instructed to massage my leg 2 -3X each day. In about 3 days the pain was gone. We are still doing the massage and I've had no more horrible pain down the leg and the leg feels strong again. I am instructed to only complete gentle stretching exercises at home and ride my bike 2X a day for 8-10 minutes. (gently for mobility only) It's working and I am back at 108 flexion, 2 on extension. I have set a goal to hit at least 110 by Christmas with ease. (that's my hope anyway) I seemed to have passed that threshold for swelling as my swelling is finally gone allowing me ease of movement and more flexion.
Considering I had previous surgeries on this knee and went in knowing my leg had a history of damage.. I am still very pleased w/my outcome. I thought it would never happen but it just took time. I still love coming on here and reading about others progress. Try not to get discouraged, it takes time but it will happen. Each person is different and their progress as individual as they are.
Time to put the Christmas up! Have a good day everyone.
 
Leisa, great report! I'm so glad the issue with neuroma has been resolved and you're back on track for your recovery!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Four months is a biggie and Christmas is here beckoning your attention! Back in August I'll bet you thought this was so far down the road and here you are ready to decorate for Christmas! Enjoy, my friend and it's nice to hear from you again! :friends:
 
Hi Leisa, so glad to read of your report and progress...I too am finally feeling like some progress is being made (and I'm glad I had the MUA even though I was very skeptical at first)...I'm more easily making it to 105/110 then with pushing to 115/116. Putting my sneakers on no longer requires throwing my back out in the process as I can bring my leg up to meet me half way :)
Slowly and VERY carefully working on strengthening again - all my muscles are very weak and we are trying to be careful to not trigger any set backs but so far so good.
I had my surgery August 1st and for some reason - I've been telling everyone it was 5 months ago - thank you for setting me straight...I feel a little better knowing it was only 4 months ago :).
Enjoy your Christmas decorating - looking forward to hearing about your continued progress.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Leisa's 6 months post TKR update
Lesia! Great report. So very happy for you that things have worked out better than you had anticipated. Success like yours is an inspiration to newbies and makes us old hands smile from inside out. Take care, keep updated, we care.
[Bonesmart.org] Leisa's 6 months post TKR update
 
Great to hear of your continuing progress, Leisa. Funnily enough I was thinking of you today. I was told at my check-up today that I am to have my MUA either next Wednesday or the one after - certainly before Christmas. And I thought to myself "I wonder how Leisa is getting on, haven't heard from her for a while" and I was going to PM you! And it is very re-assuring to hear that you are doing well and most importantly are happy with your progress. I pray that I will be that way too, after mine :angel:
 
Leisa thank you for posting your experience. I am going to have my MUA Dec. 13. Your posts are very encouraging.
 
Hi Leisa. So glad to hear of your wonderful success. Hope all the rough spots are over. You helped me go into my own MUA with an open mind and so glad that I had it. Not as bad as I expected though my OS kept me in the hospital for 2 days for pain control. Went from 76 to 97 which was a big deal. Now pushing for functionality more than the actual numbers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom