TKR Leisa's 6 months post TKR update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy anniversary Leisa!:yay: I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so well, and that you are enjoying dancing with a baby in your are while dodging a dog at your feet! That takes balance in and of itself! Plus your are able to ride your horses, that takes a lot of strenght getting up and quite a good bend to the knee, I might add! Ya you!:thumb:
 
Almost one year since TKA- Only a couple more weeks until my one year anniversary of surgery. I haven't posted in a while so I thought I would update my progress. My journey w/the tka has been like everyone else, individual. **If I could change anything about the process, it would be Not wait so long to have the surgery. I waited almost a year after my Ortho told me about the damage.
At approx. 8 months I began to develop a weakness or that's the only way I can describe it. I had been walking up and down stairs w/o problems and suddenly I had no power to step up w/the surgery leg. It was very strange. I was also walking funny, not really a limp and a good bit of pain returned but on the outside of my leg. After xrays, ultrasound and the assurance there was no infection present I progressed w/massage on the outside of the leg and some specific exercises for my leg. (My surgery leg is also my 'broken ankle' leg. My ankle movement or the lack thereof was altering my natural gait) So, I did my exercises religiously, my husband massaged my leg as instructed 2X each day and I waited. I was terrified I would never walk or be normal again, I cried for about a week off and on thinking none of the new directives would work. Eventually, after about 8 wks I began to notice a change. I now have almost 100% feeling back in the leg and most of my strength has returned. Every time I start to get down about my tka leg, my husband reminds me "you continue to improve- all the time" .. it's a process. My flexion has never gone over 113 but my extension is almost perfect and I had not had that in 34 years. (since my original injury) I am told that most people that lose extension for an extended period of time, hardly ever get it back. I am very grateful and can thank my wicked therapists at PT. I can get up and down off the floor, I can ride my horses, play w/my grandchildren. I would like more flexion but thankful for all the progress I've made. I would have the surgery again, even w/the recent set back, all over again. The pain free sleep is awesome and the new shoes. * I can't wear all those high heels I used to wear, so I've been buying shoes!! Tip: Ladies, good supportive shoes that don't look like your 110 years old are hard to find. I have found wedge sandals w/straps around my ankle are working great. (low heels of course)
Just returned from vacation at the beach on yesterday.. I walked on the beach with my husband for the first time in almost three years. : )
 
Great report Leisa! :thumb: It's nice to see you back and doing well. There's always time for improvement, and I'm glad hubby is there to remind you of how far you've come. Enjoy your new life my BoneSmartie friend!
 
Hi Leisa,
Hooray for your continued progress! It is so good to read about your experiences. I am really glad for you that you were able to regain your strength in your surgical leg and that things are back on course. So, I take it that the problem occurred because you were compensating for your ankle issue?

I had my TKR in October, which is now 9 months passed. I too now have good extension, and I wish my flexion were better, but I'm glad for what I got, and I will keep working it. I'm a cyclist, so my issue is my tight hip flexor on the surgical side, and that affects gait. So, I have to be vigilant about hip flexor stretches.

I will be going on vacation in a couple of weeks, and I can't wait to walk the beach with my husband too! It's been a lot of years since I was able to do that.

Thanks so much for sharing your progress!
 
Yes Spingirl, seems the ankle was the culprit of the strange gait. I wasn't even aware I was doing it. The body can compensate is remarkable ways. I have realized over time the stretching exercises are a lifelong requirement and hey, I can live with that. Enjoy your vacation time and walk you a sunset or two. It's such a fabulous feeling!
Jackie, thank you so much. You always offer encouragement. I hope you are enjoying life and well!
 
Congrats Leisa!! Good job! I too am finding that my flexion is slightly better, but my straigtening is much better. I am almost at 11 mos out, and slowly but surely getting there. Hugs!
 
Always good to hear from you Leisa. And what a good one year report :yay: I'm guessing not everyone has everything perfect, i.e. ROM, extension, strength, etc., but I think most of us reach a stage where we are glad we had the TKR. I certainly am too.

Carry on improving and keep in touch now and again. Enjoy the rest of the summer :flwrysmile:
 
KathyH, good to hear from you. Looks like we are in similar places, nice to be walking well again isn't it? Take care.
 
Leisa your post is a brilliant update of one year post surgery. Like you I waited a long time before the TKR. 3 years to be precise. Although my ROM still isnt brilliant my extension has been brilliant since days after the op. I couldnt believe my leg was so straight. We all have different recoveries but we all want one imprtant thing. A better quality of life which I think most of us would agree we have. Wishing you a lovely summer getting about in your lovely wedges. Thats my next step. Nicer looking shoes. Take care.
 
Late to the party! I'm trying to catch up with my gang!

I'm so glad you are doing well, Leisa. You are so right about the journey being individual (as a BTKR, I can attest that each KNEE has an individual journey). A lot of our success comes from accepting our new reality. I may never race a motorcycle again, but I CAN race my grandsons up a flight of stairs! (OK, I let them win.)

And it's totally awesome that you're back on your horse. Hugs and hugs to you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom