TKR Leisa's 6 months post TKR update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I had prepared myself for some intense muscle soreness and pain from swelling. I knew it would not be as bad as right after the tka but I had heard from others 'how horrible' it was.
I rested as directed w/ice and propped up on pillows and I took a 10mg. hydrocodone during the waking hours. However, I took a pill when I went to bed and didn't take another til morning. I did have some excessive swelling on Saturday, but that was 48 hrs. after the procedure and after some intense PT trying to maintain that flexion. (My PT is more stretching these last few weeks, and massage than hard exercises. I ride my recumbent bike at home) I consider the tka as a tough surgery to recover from, with intense exercising. I would say the tka is painful. But the MUA, a little sore, take a pill for pain.. but just not bad at all. (and remember, after I had that great increase in rom which makes you feel wonderful) may that's it. I was so encouraged by the result of the mua. If I had it to do over again (mua) I would do it in a heartbeat. :tada:
 
Thank you Leisa! I have a feeling I am going to wind up needing one, because of all the stomach issues I have had from the pain meds and not being able to do the PT as I should. And just the thought of more pain just brings me down. But it sounds like its not as painful after the mua. Hugs!
 
Don't worry Nanners, and anyone else that may be facing MUA. It is not bad at all. You are in and out same day most of the time. I was surprised how good I felt after. Somewhere early in my string, I posted my experience with MUA as I went through it. Maybe it will help provide so insight.

Just please, do not let anyone push you too hard right after. Yes,you want to maintain what you gained, but, just like TKR, control swelling first. Less is more in the early days after these procedures.


Take care,

Dawn
 
Has anyone ever heard of having an MUA for lack of extension? Or are they only for flexion? I'm at about 105 flexion at 7 weeks post-op, which I don't think is bad (and neither does my PT).

Leisa, thank you for letting us know we don't need to fear an MUA in any case--I'm so happy it worked out so well for you.
 
I may be facing it. I will know Oct 19. I wonder I'd my RA plays a part in my constant redness and swelling??? It re-appears shortly after I move around and the warmth is always there it seems. If I could get the swelling down I'd not be as stiff...or in pain..I'm icing more now too and elevating....like a yo yo, up and down..
 
Laf1958, I had my MUA because of missing extension. My flexion was okay, not great at 105 or so I think, but extension has always been my issue. Right after the MUA, the leg was pretty straight. If you control swelling and take it easy, it can be maintained. If extension is a problem, there are specific things you can do to help. One thing I do is lay on my stomach on my bed, with my knee just off the edge and my legs dangling. Let gravity help to straighten your leg. You can add small weights after a while. Start with 5 minutes and add time gradually. Work your way up to 30 minutes. My OS suggested I learn to meditate while doing it, and it does help. There are other things as well, but just one idea.

An MUA can be used for both extension and flexion. Just be sure you ask a lot of questions, and do not let pt push you hard right after.

Dawn
 
Gran17, I know what you mean about iPad corrections. If you want to laugh, I mean really laugh, go to www.damnyouautocorrect.com. It is a website that is a composition of off the wall auto corrections that people submit. It is hilarious!
 
If you go to your keyboard settings on your iPad, you can disable autocorrect. It is on by default.
 
Well, I went in for a general physical today and my doctor was going to give me a flu shot, and knows all about my knees. But I'm at four months. Just ask your OS's office. I have a cold, and they just said as long as I'm not running a temp.
 
I got both a flu and shingles shot. Doc said good to get them.
 
Thought I'd post an update. 11/6, was 3 months post TKA. I'm so happy that I am now this far along, and don't have to think about another TKA (as the right knee is fine) for many years. Considering I hardly progressed at all in the first 6 weeks, I feel good about my progress at this point. (MUA made all the difference) flexion 110, extension -5 (it's not perfect, but it feels wonderful)
[sidenote: My left leg had not been straight in over 30 years and was beginning to bow.] I NEVER expected this leg to be anywhere near straight after surgery.. I knew there was only so much they could do for me. My physical therapist(s), there are two of them, have made all the difference! They added some light muscle training now to my sessions (2X per wk). I do 4 stretches at home daily-2 flexion/ 2 extension & ride my bike 10 minutes 1-2X a day now. I wear my 'dynasplint' for flexion every other night. Still have some occasional swelling but nothing too bad, gone after I rest or overnight. It still amazes me when it turns cold or rains that I don't have arthritis. It's as if I am waiting to start having pain... but it never starts. Such a relief.
I would have this surgery again, in a New York minute!! I want more flexion, but if I don't progress anymore - I am more than happy with the outcome.
 
Awesome report Leisa! :thumb: It is fantastic that you are happy with the outcome and your MUA made such a wonderful difference in your progress,

Most people look at their numbers and if they're not perfect on the money they get frustrated and discouraged, when what really matters is that you are happy with where you are! We all should never forget where we were before our knee replacements, the bone on bone pain and the arthritis flare ups when it rained or got cold, and that debilitating feeling. I am so happy that you are in a good place! :yes!:

Stay well my friend! :friends:
 
Leisa..you have experienced the same as I have..Thanks for sharing. Your posts really helped me when I went in on Oct 23rd. I have hesitated writing about my MUA as I wanted to give myself a chance to have a realistic viewpoint to share.
I am 16 days out. I was in the hospital for 2 nights, primarily because of pain control. I had had a bilateral spacer exchange three months before and never resumed the ROM that I had after my BTKR. I also had lost so much functionality during the months since the exchange and the pain was horrible (probably trying to do more than I could). I was depressed..really low. All I could do was lie on the couch and cry. Pain control was as good as it could get as I can only take Dilaudid and have had multiple surgeries in these last few years and have been on this drug longer than I would like to admit.
The OS came into my room after surgery and I actually cheered him. He had broken my pain cycle. Of course I had a PCA and was awake enough to keep on pressing it. Told him I didnt want the ativan or morphine this time so I could be in my right mind. I was on the CPM machine for both legs for hours each day. The funny thing is that several nurses and pts came in and screamed at me..they had never had anyone after an MUA at 90 degrees so they thought something was wrong. In fact, they dont see MUA's as overnight patients usually so there I was at 90 degrees from the start.
I went to PT right from the hospital and thought..this is great..no pain at all. PT at 5x a week for 2 weeks will be a breeze. Little did I think that I had just left the hospital and just given myself that last push on the PCA plus the oral meds. The next day at PT was a Friday and it was ok. Following week got more difficult but there is no way that I am getting back to the lack of function because I could not bend my knee. I had them both manipulated, but I would not have gone in for the right one just on its own.

I can get up to 113 after PT..from 81 that is enormous and I am soooooooooooooo glad that I had this done.
I am still on the CPM..(another hint..there are proper ways to use a CPM) When I told the PT that I got to 120 immediately on the CPM, she asked me if it hurt. I said no..She said, something is not right so the medical supply person spent an hour with me that afternoon..ended up giving me another machine from another manufacturer. So if you use a machine, be very sure that they know what they are doing. Ideal is for your upper body to be at 30 degrees. I found that very uncomfortable but I really try to get as close.

i am so thrilled with the results. I have to remember that I am just a few weeks out. I want it all fixed today..as many of you can understand.

Sidenote: Administrators..posted here because it is about MUA and figured this would get seen by someone looking for info rather than on my own topic.
 
Thanks Leisa and Merry for your very helpful posts about your MUAs. Leisa, what was your flexion before your MUA?

Another member on here had an MUA and he was back at work the next day! My PT told me this week that I definitely would not like an MUA - that I would be in a lot of pain afterwards and I would be set back to day one, i.e. as in day one after TKR. She said I would be in as much pain as I was after my TKR and I hastened to tell her that I was never in a lot of pain after my TKR, luckily. Likewise, I didn't have pain before my TKR.
 
I am sure that people react differently. I was so appreciative for the fact that I had not one bit of pain for 4 days (good meds) and that I could bend my knee and not be afraid of getting stuck like in my car. My flexion was 81 before the procedure. I am 113 after PT. Pretty good. I am not coming into PT at 113 but I will exceed that I am sure. I was 118 after my replacements and that was fine. Not an athlete like some of the others.

The pain post MUA is nothing at all like what I experienced about my BTKR. Not even a little bit close..Perhaps 10%. Since it is a closed procedure, you are not dealing with the surgical part of the recovery.
 
I've made good progress on flexion--115 degrees on left knee and 120 on right--but I'm still at 9 degrees left and 6 degrees right for extension. I find out on 11/20 what my OS thinks.

I've been working REALLY hard in PT on both flexion AND extension, but I seem to be stuck at these slightly-bent knees and I don't know if I'm going to get them further. Sometimes I think an MUA might be an "easy shortcut" to get the knees straightened the rest of the way, but that's probably nuts. Right?

For those of you who have MUAs for extension, did your doc explain what he was going to do? Do they just hold your heel up in the air and push down on the knee or something like that? I just can't imagine how it would work.

Dhare, I see you're from Vermont, too! Where in VT, if you don't mind saying? I live in Milton.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom