Guest viewing is limited

THR left it TOO long: Left THR Posterior

Question about Soft Tissue Release for Abduction Contracture?

Firstly, I am ultimately going to follow my surgeon. I've said I trust his opinion on whether to attempt this on my right leg.

On the other hand, I'm wondering if it may be better to avoid it. I'm coming to terms with a future with a challenging right leg. I'm feeling positive about that because at least it won't have a collapsing hip. Whilst I will chat to my surgeon about this. I was wondering if anyone had any experience, particularly if they also have dysplasia. My concern is that I've read there can be a few consequences. My outcome isn't particularly promising in terms of fully recovering alignment anyway. I wouldn't want to make things more challenging. Id be willing to settle for better not perfect.

Any thoughts?
 
This is a thing I do think is best left to your surgeon to weigh in on. There are so many nuances to tissue balancing and he is the only one who really knows your hip. If he feels this will give you better mobility, I would go with his decision.
 
I have no knowledge of this, except to say that, when I was moaning to my consultant about my recovery issues, he told me that people with hip dysplasia are in a category all of our own. Namely that we don't have predictable bodies and that means we don't always have predictable recoveries. I would just bear this in mind regarding any future invasive treatment.
 
Thanks @Jamie @Annekin

I had another letter yesterday that underlined that my surgery is aimed at pain reduction and although they'll consider release work it may not improve my mobility. My understanding is that they'll assess a potential for release intervention during the surgery. I wondered if this was the average way a surgeon approached the potential for release work.

Thanks Annekin, for the helpful reminder! Regardless of another person's recovery experience, mine will be unique to me.

Should I start a pre-op thread for my right leg journey or keep posting here? It's funny with a staged hip replacement because it's kind of a two hip story?? @Jamie

After posting this, I read a really good article on Soft Tissue Balancing in THR. It actually made me feel better about it all. Apparently, it's a logical approach to do the calculations on what to release during surgery.

 
Last edited:
Feel free to start a pre-op thread for your right hip, @Deni444. I found it helpful to have separate threads for each of my surgeries. Any news on a date yet?
 
No, I sent an email this week but haven't heard back.
 
Yep….new hip, new thread. It’s easier to keep things straight that way.
 
I've started a new thread in Pre-Surgery... I just got the date for my next THR on 22nd August. My heart has just returned to normal speed after taking the call an hour ago :heehee:

I'll keep on posting my left side recovery milestones here up until surgery but start my stream of right side questions and thought in the pre-op thread.

Lefty is getting stronger every day. I'll keep you posted :)
 
Great news! I'm so glad you don't have long to wait, @Deni444 .

I've updated your signature.
 
Oh gosh I can really imagine your heart thumping after taking the call! I know on the one hand it’s good to have a date for surgery but it can also feel daunting. :console2:
 
@IndigoKnee I heard the voice and thought, oh good, I'm getting some news. Then when she said my surgeon had an opening in August... I kind of froze for a moment and gave a wobbly 'yes' in answer to 'was I OK with that?'. Now, I'm genuinely pleased to be getting it over with sooner rather than later.
 
Glad to hear that you don’t have to wait long. That’s great news Deni. I will be following your recovery journey. Well done xxx
 
Wonderful news! This recovery will roll into the next and you're getting it all over with, or "done and dusted" as ya'll say in the UK. :wink:
@Deni444
 
Left THR 16 Weeks Post Op Update

A flash overnight trip down country with no ill effects. I managed two long journeys in the passenger seat and a sleepover on a sofa. Spent the evening and day in a two story house with only an upstairs toilet. This was an incredibly steep staircase and I live in a bungalow and so hadn't navigated a full staircase. Also had to babysit an active toddler for the day. Got home exhausted and achy and dragged myself into bed wondering what I'd wake up to. I'm sleepy with tired legs but no pain or swelling at all.

A similar pre-op experience wiped me out for a week. Yippee, I'm getting better :happydance:

Got to enjoy it whilst I can :heehee:
 
Great news! Yes...that's progress for sure!
Happy Friday! :SUNsmile:
@Deni444
 
Thank you @Layla :flwrysmile: I hope you have something nice to look forward to this weekend!
 
What a wonderful report!! Even though you’re tired, your body is definitely healing and giving you a glimpse of life after joint replacement.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom