THR left it TOO long: Left THR Posterior

Specifically ask them about trying Celebrex. It works differently that other NSAIDs and does seem to be easier on the stomach. I’m glad you’re on the PPI, though. I would continue to take that until you see the doctor even if you do stop the Naproxen. You might want to get input from your GP as well as your surgeon’s office.
 
I cant take NSAIDS because of a contraindication of another medication I'm on and codeine is the only thing that works for me at night. I know it’s potentially addictive but my Dr was happy for me to continue to take the small dose that I take.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
19 weeks Post Op LTHR

Managed a half mile walk at a local nature reserve. According to my watch, sustaining 76% fat burning pace with 24% aerobic pace. I'm still on crutches because of my right leg but it felt wonderful to finally be out on a walk in the countryside. I've been concentrating on 3 ten minute indoor walking sessions every day alongside normal activities. I've been aiming to increase my pace. I was able to improve from a warm up pace to getting into an aerobic and even anaerobic pace within the week. Definitely getting stronger and fitter :)
 
This is amazing news!!! I could feel the smiles in your post.
 
Fantastic job. You are crushing it.
 
Thanks everyone :loveshwr: I must admit, it feels pretty good!
 
This is the kind of update we live for! :yes!:
 
BTW Deni I wondered what app is on your watch that shows those figures? I have an Apple watch and it came with a fitness app which counts steps, distance and pace but not the other things that you mention. Well done again.
Mine currently sends me messages via my phone saying 'you are not walking as far as this time last year….' Yes I know, leave me in peace silly watch. :)
 
Great job Deni!
It’s best to break up your walks in intervals just like you are doing. I do same here.
My phone tells me my steps converts into miles as well as my walking asymmetry.
And also reminds me if I’ve walked further or less one day vs the other! lol!
 
@IndigoKnee My watch is CMF Watch Pro 2 by Nothing and it is the Nothing CMF App. It communicates with Google Fit and that sends info to the My Mobility NHS app (just steps). It's quite good but cost less than £50. Early birthday pressy from hubby.
 
Ah totally different watch running different apps to my Apple watch. I was just curious. Sounds like it pretty good for a reasonable price.
 
20 weeks after LTHR

With 5 days to go until my right leg joins my left on the recovery journey. I thought I'd pop a final update on this thread. I think I've progressed as far as I can in terms of walking. I maxed out on that 1/2 mile nature walk and unfortunately although my new left hip was absolutely fine my right knee grumbled so much the next day that I've had to resort to very slow 10 minute walks in an attempt to get my knee to settle down before surgery. It's all up in the air in terms of if my right hip replacement will resolve some of my right knee issues. My surgeon is making no promises and is not optimistic my mobility will improve.

What a journey it's been! From being terrified of surgery and avoiding it to finding BoneSmart and getting the support and encouragement I needed to finally proceed with surgery. I won't go too far down the what if scenario... But I guess things may have been a little more optimistic for my right leg now if I hadn't delayed surgery for three years. It's deteriorated so much during those years. My dysplasia was undiagnosed back then and I was only mildly aware of a functional leg length issue.

Despite everything I am very glad I had my left hip replaced. It's already improved my mobility and quality of life. I may still hobble about on crutches most of the time (because of my right leg) but I go shopping again, I can manage all the chores around the house, I can go on short walks... I can even dance! I would be in a wheelchair now if I hadn't gone ahead with the THR.

Thank you Bone Smart for helping me get my life back! For the many, many helpful words of encouragement and compassionate guidance throughout my left hip journey:loveshwr:
 
Just remember that you're playing the "long game." Once you get your right hip replaced and have carefully rehabbed for several months, you will have 2 fully-functional hips for the first time in a very long time. There is no telling what your ultimate potential will be, but I would be optimistic that you will regain a good quality of life, probably much better than seems possible right now. Your body can recover and do amazing things with the help of a few new parts from skilled surgeons. And a positive attitude - which you have in spades - will help as well.

Best of luck on Friday!
 
I go shopping again, I can manage all the chores around the house, I can go on short walks... I can even dance!
:goodpost:

I have confidence in you. I believe your determination and positive attitude will win the day. You've done soooo well and I can't wait to read where you are in another 20 weeks.
 
Lots and lots of good wishes for Friday and look forward to your updates on the other side. You have lots of grit and determination - you can do this! :running: (Maybe not actually run immediately after surgery )
 
You are almost there now Deni, I have a good feeling that things will go well and that you will surprise your surgeon. You have an amazing attitude and determination. Lots of wishes and love for Friday and will be reading your recovery updates ❤️❤️
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom